The Magicians

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah next week episode should be really good. I'm curious how what fucked up shit is going to happen to spur on next season. The magicians never win.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah next week episode should be really good. I'm curious how what fucked up shit is going to happen to spur on next season. The magicians never win.
We've got at least 2 villains lining up already, Plover, the head librarian if he succeeds. Hard to believe Alice and Quentin will get a happy ending like that, also.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Plover is an interesting character. You really don't know his motives now. You keep expecting him to be evil/betray everyone/etc, but thus far he has been pretty much the opposite of that. You have to remember he wasn't just tortured for 70 years, he was tortured daily by The Beast (his victim) for 70 Earth years equated to Fillorian time which was basically centuries in that realm (which they sort of abandoned in season 2 and going forward it seems). It plants a seed in your head: Did he legit become a better person? Did he actually change?

If they made it so he was basically being honest about his intentions and nothing bad happened, it would actually be a pretty good troll of the audience because we're literally expecting him to go full blown villain every time we see him. It's like expecting the jump scare in a horror movie that never comes. That being said, he does have designs on increasing magical power, so who knows where they take him.

Head Librarian I do wonder about. The previews show him at the lake, presumably to get power, but it remains to be seen if he gets it. For all we know, Irene Mcallister appears at the last minute, shanks him, and takes all the power for herself.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I was glad to see us get some real info about the monsters recently. The whole 'the gods made them, it was a mistake' just seemed so dumb. Like, how can these gods just create something that is more powerful than them? At least being creations/kids of the OLD gods, somehow in between them and these 'new' gods that are mostly just super-powered magicians, made a little more sense. Especially when they referred to the old gods as beings of abstract thoughts/concepts or whatever.

I'm also digging the deeper dive into how the world of the gods, and that the dead ones were originally just librarians centuries or millenia ago.

Oh who am I kidding, I don't give a fuck what they do if we get more Alice in underwear shots. I'm a perv.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ignoring reading things since i just hit episode 10 and watching Elliot sand dance scene has been a real treat!

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My girlfriend and I are still making our way through season 2, not caught up to current episodes, and man, season 2 is a bit of a bummer. We were really excited at the beginning of the season to see more of Fillory, but the Fillory stuff has largely been garbage so far. Mostly it's just Margo being idiotic despot. Julia and Kady definitely are interesting, but when they're the most interesting thing it really makes me miss season 1. You guys seem to be enjoying current episodes, so I'm going to stick with it, but man.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
My girlfriend and I are still making our way through season 2, not caught up to current episodes, and man, season 2 is a bit of a bummer. We were really excited at the beginning of the season to see more of Fillory, but the Fillory stuff has largely been garbage so far. Mostly it's just Margo being idiotic despot. Julia and Kady definitely are interesting, but when they're the most interesting thing it really makes me miss season 1. You guys seem to be enjoying current episodes, so I'm going to stick with it, but man.
Look, I don't think any season they do will ever be as good as season 1. If you only 'kinda' liked season 1, then you may lose interest at some point. I loved the shit out of that season, and the entire world they have created, so even something that is like 70% as good, is still one of my favorite shows.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Wtf? Season 1 was the worst season. Trying to stick to the books was admirable, but the book characters are shitty, whiny, entitled, narcissistic pricks, and as soon as they got away from that and realized they needed to make them more likeable and allow them to grow and develop, the series jumped several tiers of quality.

Season 1 did have a couple of bright spots, like the intro scene of the beast, but season 3 and 4 have been better than 1 and 2.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Look, I don't think any season they do will ever be as good as season 1. If you only 'kinda' liked season 1, then you may lose interest at some point. I loved the shit out of that season, and the entire world they have created, so even something that is like 70% as good, is still one of my favorite shows.

We more than "kinda" liked season 1. We're going to stick with the show, we're in kind of a drought for bingeable TV anyway (all our other shows are currently in new-episode-per-week mode). This latest episode we watched has Margo kind of realizing how shitty she's been. Margo has been our biggest complaint (yes bothers us that much to almost ruin the whole thing) so maybe it'll be okay

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
We more than "kinda" liked season 1. We're going to stick with the show, we're in kind of a drought for bingeable TV anyway (all our other shows are currently in new-episode-per-week mode). This latest episode we watched has Margo kind of realizing how shitty she's been. Margo has been purchased biggest complaint (yes bothers us that much to almost ruin the whole thing) so maybe it'll be okay
I didn't hate her back then, but she certainly wasn't my favorite. She seemed to be a bitch for no reason at times. I don't know if I got used to her, or they wrote her a little more subtle lately, but right now she's one of my favorites.. is all I'll say.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Wtf? Season 1 was the worst season.
It was the mystery of it and the twists we got with everything. Maybe I'm mixing things from season 2 into season 1, but the entire fillory book arc, the beast, dean fogg, jane, etc.. was great. The individual characters were less likeable, but the story itself was more intriguing at that time. The discovery of the world the show is set in let you overlook any rough edges it had.

I mean, if season 3 or 4 had been the initial season, I'd probably be saying the same thing about it.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It was the mystery of it and the twists we got with everything. Maybe I'm mixing things from season 2 into season 1, but the entire fillory book arc, the beast, dean fogg, jane, etc.. was great. The individual characters were less likeable, but the story itself was more intriguing at that time. The discovery of the world the show is set in let you overlook any rough edges it had.

I mean, if season 3 or 4 had been the initial season, I'd probably be saying the same thing about it.

Season 1's finale was the first time we saw Fillory btw, for timeline context. And yeah, for me Season 1 was also all about the twists. Finding out that teacher was really Jane Chatwin was obvious, but then for her to get murdered right after the official reveal? The Chatwin kids are fucked up because they were molested? The Beast wasn't Plover after all? Etc. Great writing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Ah yea, ok. So, I'm combining the entire Beast arc of seasons 1 and 2 in my mind. But, the first half, with all the mystery and suspense of him, plus this entire magical world we were just scratching the surface of, was what was so great.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Ah yea, ok. So, I'm combining the entire Beast arc of seasons 1 and 2 in my mind. But, the first half, with all the mystery and suspense of him, plus this entire magical world we were just scratching the surface of, was what was so great.

They ran out of book series content in season 2, so the tighter plotting to an overall arc is probably what you are missing there.

I still *like* season 3 and 4 more overall though, the characters are just so fun.

• 1Like

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Yea, I miss the "epic" arc of Season 1 - very by the book, however the new quest in S3, and the current troubles born from it in S4 are awesome, and the character growth and ensemble cast really do it for me. All of the characters have a time in the spotlight, and your fondness / hatred of certain characters changes over time. Margo is currently my favorite, behind Elliot.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
All of the characters have a time in the spotlight, and your fondness / hatred of certain characters changes over time.
Yes.. except for Kady. I've never liked her.
Though, she certainly can sing..

• 1Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Did the main character ever stop being a whiny little cunt? I watched maybe season and a half of this when it came out to try and give it a chance but none of the characters were likeable and the main one was making me want to punch something whit his incessant groveling.

• 1Like

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Yea he grows up by leaps and bounds - takes charge in S3 and continues to be a solid foundation of rational thought in a world of crazy wtfs into S4.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Interesting finale. It sort of felt like a series finale in a way, or at least like a giant reset button. I have almost no idea how season 5 is going to unfold.

I wonder if Julia's condition is legit human or something else. The Binder did say the journey to Goddess would be long and hard. Maybe he picked the Goddess route and this is just a part of that journey again?

Q seems legit dead, but I wonder if that will be the leadin to season 5. We still don't know where that underworld metro goes

• 1Like