The Man in the High Castle

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I stopped watching this after the second season, is it worth returning to finish it up?

Yeah the ending is super disappointing. Best part of season 4 is the attention to detail in the setting they could do with an apparently increased budget. You get some actual good battle scenes. Plot is pretty meh, ending is dumb, but the ride was pretty good nonetheless imo. I was really hoping for a 9-10/10 hit-it-out-of-the-park concept for the ending, and not getting that was a big let down, but once I got over that disappointment I'd say the series overall is a solid 7 or 8 still.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What a shitty season to go out on. The writing was trash across the board, the negro communists just detracted from already established sympathies, and there was a lot of needless filler that served no purpose. The only thing that made it worth a damn was the performances by Smith, Kido, and Childon

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Just finished this finally.

I mean, am I an asshole for actually liking Smith? I was hoping he would, somehow, redeem himself. I realize that he realistically couldn't because of the horrible shit that happened under his watch. But do something other than saying, "I don't know how". Because the other dude that suddenly got the promotion "knew how" pretty damn quick and apparently everyone else was willing to go right along.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, right, let the white man find some measure of peace and redemtion? Hah. That's not the treatment white men get from Hollywood, especially when a literal Nazi. Reminded the writers too much of their Nazi white nationalist relatives who voted for Trump. Can't let them have even a perceived win. Don't even let Smith go out with the viewer at least having some empathy and understanding for his plight. Nah, even when the story is going in that direction, sabotage it at the last minute and write some bullshit that doesn't ring true to strike back at the patriarchy! Because despite every chance and reason to change for the better fucking white men are evil and cowards and irredeemable! And practically literal Nazis themselves! It's true, otherwise it wouldn't be so prevalent in Movies and the news media!

Wasn't that a main theme? Men are worthless pieces of shit without the direction of women? How many male characters succeeded without women? How many male characters didn't abandon one's they loved and/or only exist to make life worse for women? How many female characters did anything but be brave, proud, amazing leaders and heroes saving the world and thankfully sometimes deciding to save the few men who weren't too worthless?

Hollywood ruining PKD stories isn't new, but this was a new level of shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Smiths arc should have all been about sacrificing his soul and the lives of others to protect his family in the safest way: becoming one above all others. They already had elements of this in play. They could have had him fail to save alt-Thomas for a second time and make him desperate to keep his girls and wife safe which then would be amplified by Hoover and the threat of the other Nazis. This would push him to do the coup, and maintaing the Nazi grip on America would be to prevent collaboraters and their families from being executed. The eugenics shit shouldn't have been in it at all, and their approach to including it was amateur heavy-handed shitty writing.

The wishy-washy I don't know how to change crap was impotent bullshit that came out of nowhere.

Such a let down.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just finished this finally.

I mean, am I an asshole for actually liking Smith? I was hoping he would, somehow, redeem himself. I realize that he realistically couldn't because of the horrible shit that happened under his watch. But do something other than saying, "I don't know how". Because the other dude that suddenly got the promotion "knew how" pretty damn quick and apparently everyone else was willing to go right along.

Blew my mind when they showed Smith still commencing the California attack after succeeding in a coup and attaining autonomy. Bro, I am the Reichsfuerher of America now. Fuck you're stupid attack on California. Like you said, while Smith was in a mess about it the other Euro Fuehrer didn't have any problems.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
This season was such a massive let down. 70% garbage filler, and yet somehow the other 30% often felt rushed.

This season was so bad it brings the series down to a 4/10 for me. I reaaaaly hope it gets remade someday cause even tho I never read the books I had such high hopes for this.

I think I could someday enjoy rewatching a version of this series that cuts out 60-70% of the show.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user