The Man in the High Castle

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The funny thing is that since the Nazi's and Japanese have been so free with slaughtering people, especially Americans, there are likely a great many more people from alternate worlds that can come in than can go out...

The exception being, likely, the hitler youth psychos who don't necessarily exist in the other dimensions having been born after the original opening of the tear.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Got distracted with other stuff, didn't finish Season 2 (of my first watch through) til Monday night. But holy cow, how they handled that George Dixon in the alley thing in the finale was awesome writing.

Only made it through half of S03E01 before falling asleep, but was surprised at how quickly they started embracing the alternate universe stuff.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I finished Season 3 on Sunday and it was pretty decent. I'm glad the show isn't going past Season 4. It needs to end.

The elite breed of warriors are pretty bad. The one dude got straight up fucked up by Tagomi which was awesome as fuck and hilarious at the same time.

Nicole is so hot. I was surprised to see the actress that plays Juliana is 36 years old.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
if it's true you can only 'travel' or survive the machine if your counterpart in the other universe is dead.
Isn't this a plot hole? Because Tagomi traveled to an alternative Earth and hung out with family. And no one there was shocked that he miraculously returned from the dead? Unless the machine mechanics is different from biological. Or maybe their Tagomi was dead and no one knew?

And, also, if there are an infinite number of parallel Earths then there should be at least one Earth where the person in question doesn't exist. I didn't get the impression that they were traveling to a specific alternative reality. Didn't some films show events that are different from both realities?

Not spoilering this because this aired weeks ago.

Cybsled

Alternate Juliana mentions she thought he was going to jump off the Golden Gate, but lost him in the fog. This implies alternate Tagomi killed himself, which allowed the travel.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

They mentioned about a year ago they were only doing 4 seasons.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
They mentioned about a year ago they were only doing 4 seasons.

ah i wasn't aware. still, nice to see, i hate when a show gets cancelled and ends on a cliffhanger, having a planned ending is wonderful.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Season 4 is up. 1 year jump from season 3. First episode is pretty good.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nazi High School rendition of A Merchant of Venice was pretty funny.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'd rather this show not have devolved into Black Power on top of Heinlein-esque alternate dimensions and all the other shit they decided to go with.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't really know what this show is going for... losing Frank and Tamigo last season kind of puts a strain who the central characters are supposed to be. John Smith is sympathetic, along with Kido but you're supposed to want Julianne Crane and the resistance to win right?

While the Reich is evil or whatever and so is the Japanese Empire... I guess. This is all very abstract and relies on a person's individual knowledge of Nazis and Japanese during WWII and their comparative knowledge of the USA. You only see what the characters deal with. In the context of this season in this show the Reich and Japan are both reacting to rebellion and terrorism.

John Smith and Kido are just dudes trying to fucking survive amidst vast plots of intrigue and terrorist threat. John Smith did terrible things to avoid certain death throughout his life in Alt-Nazi land. The Black Communist Revolution wants their own state of California for black people only (lul). Julianne Crane, the Irish and the Blacks are all literal terrorists. They bomb civilians, kidnap children and gundown people just for being in the Japanese government or in the Reich.

They're the heroes right? You honestly have me wishing for the Japanese and Nazis to succeed in stopping terrorists.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay finished it. I skipped a lot of parts because there's a lot of filler bullshit I didn't care about. I really only wanted to see John Smith, Childan and Kido's stories because they were actually good.

The ending is nonsensical.
John Smith overthrows the Reich. Stages a coup in which he becomes the Reichsfuhrer of the USA with total autonomy. Okay cool. But for some reason John Smith had to be an evil Nazi at the last moment and undermines his entire character's history where he became a Nazi just for survival. He never seemed to really care about any of it other than doing the job.

So the next day after getting autonomy he starts planning mass exterminations of Jews and blacks... for no reason. He also commits to the plan to assault California for the Reich after killing everyone involved in planning the invasion and gaining autonomy.

Julianna Crane succeeds in killing him by getting his wife to plan his murder.

The portal works in an entirely different way than previously explained an inexplicably conveniently converts Alt-Nazi world to our world. Sort of. There is a government led by the Black Communist Liberation Front in charge of Utopia now.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity

Burns

Okay finished it. I skipped a lot of parts because there's a lot of filler bullshit I didn't care about. I really only wanted to see John Smith, Childan and Kido's stories because they were actually good.

The ending is nonsensical.
John Smith overthrows the Reich. Stages a coup in which he becomes the Reichsfuhrer of the USA with total autonomy. Okay cool. But for some reason John Smith had to be an evil Nazi at the last moment and undermines his entire character's history where he became a Nazi just for survival. He never seemed to really care about any of it other than doing the job.

So the next day after getting autonomy he starts planning mass exterminations of Jews and blacks... for no reason. He also commits to the plan to assault California for the Reich after killing everyone involved in planning the invasion and gaining autonomy.

Julianna Crane succeeds in killing him by getting his wife to plan his murder.

The portal works in an entirely different way than previously explained an inexplicably conveniently converts Alt-Nazi world to our world. Sort of. There is a government led by the Black Communist Liberation Front in charge of Utopia now.

I concur. I forced myself to finish it. After all, I got through 3 seasons, I'm going to see how the damned thing ends.

In general, I had a difficult time caring about what happens to anyone in this season, outside of the Kempeitai guy that gasses families and murders innocent men, and the Nazi guy who gasses whole races and murders innocent men (that were white enough not to get gassed).

Next, for the west coast resistance, the writers decided it should be self segregated this season. Furthermore, they didn't just make the Black Panthers the most powerful faction out of a bunch of factions; they made them the only faction fighting (on the west coast). It was silly.

Then there is the ending. What the fuck is that shit? John Smith dies and normal people just come strolling out of the portal, to what, get a nice dose of brrrrrrt by the first Nazi patrol they encounter? All of the American Nazi Command staff were part of the genocidal polices, so even if the second in command grew a conscience, why would any of the others. Furthermore, the majority of the fighting force would have grown up with 100% Nazi indoctrination, so there wouldn't have been a mass defection.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I concur. I forced myself to finish it. After all, I got through 3 seasons, I'm going to see how the damned thing ends.

In general, I had a difficult time caring about what happens to anyone in this season, outside of the Kempeitai guy that gasses families and murders innocent men, and the Nazi guy who gasses whole races and murders innocent men (that were white enough not to get gassed).

Next, for the west coast resistance, the writers decided it should be self segregated this season. Furthermore, they didn't just make the Black Panthers the most powerful faction out of a bunch of factions; they made them the only faction fighting (on the west coast). It was silly.

Then there is the ending. What the fuck is that shit? John Smith dies and normal people just come strolling out of the portal, to what, get a nice dose of brrrrrrt by the first Nazi patrol they encounter? All of the American Nazi Command staff were part of the genocidal polices, so even if the second in command grew a conscience, why would any of the others. Furthermore, the majority of the fighting force would have grown up with 100% Nazi indoctrination, so there wouldn't have been a mass defection.

Childan was my boy. The antiques dealer. That dude was just an average motherfucker. Wasn't a soldier ever. Just tried to survive in the world that was forced upon him. In so doing he fleeced dumb japs out of some bucks. Never pretended to do anything or be anything different. Always looking out for his own ass.

Even he got a stupid ending.

He goes through literal hell for 4 seasons just trying to make a fucking buck. Meets a girl and the shit happens. Survives all kinds of insane shit he had no right to. Pure luck. Okay war is nuts whatever. He gets transit papers from the Imperial family directly and is told to fuck off... Has a big breakup sad scene about it... only to have it resolved ten minutes later when he pays the Yakuza for a ride to Japan.

Fucking why? Why couldn't fucking Childan have a happy ending slumming it in Japan with his peasant wife? Dude never asked for shit or tried to be shit other than a minor con artist and not die. Fuck man

• 1Like

Burns

Childan was my boy. The antiques dealer. That dude was just an average motherfucker. Wasn't a soldier ever. Just tried to survive in the world that was forced upon him. In so doing he fleeced dumb japs out of some bucks. Never pretended to do anything or be anything different. Always looking out for his own ass.

Even he got a stupid ending.

He goes through literal hell for 4 seasons just trying to make a fucking buck. Meets a girl and the shit happens. Survives all kinds of insane shit he had no right to. Pure luck. Okay war is nuts whatever. He gets transit papers from the Imperial family directly and is told to fuck off... Has a big breakup sad scene about it... only to have it resolved ten minutes later when he pays the Yakuza for a ride to Japan.

Fucking why? Why couldn't fucking Childan have a happy ending slumming it in Japan with his peasant wife? Dude never asked for shit or tried to be shit other than a minor con artist and not die. Fuck man

I liked his character well enough in the previous 3 seasons, but I guess I expected more of him this season, since he spent all that time in the DMZ and the other shit he had been through.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The whole show jumped every possible shark from multiple worlds in this last season. I feel they had no idea what the fuck to do and so just punted with the last batch of stories.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I stopped watching this after the second season, is it worth returning to finish it up?

Cybsled

Sorta mixed on that. Season 3 was okayish but sort of middling, then it went full jump the shark in season 4. It is punctuated by some cool moments, but the writing and narrative started to fall apart. John Smith was always the best character and they ruined him by the end of season 4 in an attempt to rush a contrived ending.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Finally finished. Not sure if the best lesson was the key to communism finally working is putting it in the hands of black people, or that open borders isn't enough when we could have open dimensional portals too. No matter, the important thing is we need to give Hollywood aka liberals more power within our own culture and government, because they really prove themselves time and again writing the most logical endings to shows like these that it's obvious they should dictate the direction of reality as well.

Real ending is jews built the portal, hid from the Nazis, and are now coming back to rule New York now that all the blacks got run out a town.

• 1Like