The Man in the High Castle

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Nazi's building devices to invade and conquer other worlds? Going deep sci fi with this, nice.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
John Smith remains the absolute best character on this show.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This is looking great in 4k HDR. The contrast in the visual design really makes things like the buttons on the Nazi uniforms and Smith's apartment pop.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So is this season better than the last? Really soured on the show last season. Hope it's good again?

Cybsled

I'm only 2 episodes in, but pretty solid thus far. Budget seems higher as well.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The characters individual struggles are excellent. Chief Inspector, Trade Minister and John Smith's arcs are great. The overall story arc is a complete fucking mess and I don't really understand where they are trying to go with it.

The Reich has learned of the parallel universes and are researching it. They know that is where the MITHC films came from. The parallel where USA won the war, our normal timeline. The rebellion if you can call it that is reduced to like a dozen people living in the Rockies in a small village of jews pretending to be Catholics. They seek to overthrow the Reich.... somehow...

With fucking nothing. The storylines of having Japan and the Reich avoid war are more interesting because the idea that a timeline exists where the Reich lost does jack and shit for their society. Other than create, "hope" but there isn't much unrest in Reich USA so... whatever I guess? I just don't see what they want to build here.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay this jumped the shark for me. I might finish the season but... god damn.

• 1Worf

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I think the scifi aspect ruins what could be a top notch series. I'm way more into the political games of the Nazis vs Japanese for control of the world. It's still a pretty good show though and I look forward to it continuing. I just finished episode 6 of the new season.

Cybsled

I finished the whole season. Overall positive, although some aspects seemed kind of wtf. Thoughts/spoilers:

First of all, it was interesting to see some parallels with our reality: Japanese States experiencing basically the equivalent of the civil rights movement, American Reich basically the Chinese cultural revolution (ie, destroy the old / young people buying into it). The show seemed to paint the Japanese states in a way where positive change there seems more plausible. The Japanese admiral wanting them to be less murdery, Kito showing compassion to the prostitute girl, Tagomi of course.

But the whole idea of "lol revolution! we beat teh facists if we show movies" seems REALLY far fetched in the American Reich with any sort of hardcore Nazi leadership in place. Maybe, and a big maybe, if somehow John Smith ruled all of the Reich you could maybe see some change. But that seems unlikely without really shit writing and the youth are all fullblown kool-aid drinking Nazi loyalists. Even if you could get buy in from the adults who remember before the war, the kids/college aged people have full buy-in because they don't know any better. Change would have to start with the youth, and I just don't see that happening because of a bunch of Allied Victory films. Frank surviving the terrorist attack was also pretty wtf, but at least they got rid of him (again). He isn't healing from that lol.

I did like how Juliana called out how WTF the Nazi machine plan was, though, because I was thinking the same thing. How can you conquer a world unless you can scale the thing up to the point where you can basically just drive a fuckton of tanks/jets/etc through the portal? Although if the revelation in the final episode is accurate (that you can only travel to a world where you are dead/don't exist), then that seems to be kind of odd. That means Tagomi is dead in our world? I mean, I guess they could say he died in a ditch drunk or w/e and his family just didn't know it, which is why the show Tagomi could go there.

Anyways, as usual, John Smith was the best part of the season. Curious to see where the 4th and final season goes. Juliana maybe is traveling to the world she was executed in? Or maybe the world Trudi came from this season (since Juliana was dead there)?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The anomaly testing scene is some of the best television I've seen. This show deserves more attention than it gets. It has some truly great characterization and the actors to back it up along with the production to bring it all home.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Seems pretty obvious that Smith will be turned by a copy of his son. I'll even call it - President John Smith.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Really enjoyed this season. Some great characters and drama. I especially love Smith and the Nazi Lezbo, both well written and acted.

However I do fucking hate Juliana acting/looking like such a massive cunt all the time. Will be happy if her character spends the rest of the show in a nazi rape dungeon. Also was not a fan of smith's wife, or any of her scenes.. I guess the scene where she kisses her therapist was good, but not because of her.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I finished the whole season. Overall positive, although some aspects seemed kind of wtf. Thoughts/spoilers:

First of all, it was interesting to see some parallels with our reality: Japanese States experiencing basically the equivalent of the civil rights movement, American Reich basically the Chinese cultural revolution (ie, destroy the old / young people buying into it). The show seemed to paint the Japanese states in a way where positive change there seems more plausible. The Japanese admiral wanting them to be less murdery, Kito showing compassion to the prostitute girl, Tagomi of course.

But the whole idea of "lol revolution! we beat teh facists if we show movies" seems REALLY far fetched in the American Reich with any sort of hardcore Nazi leadership in place. Maybe, and a big maybe, if somehow John Smith ruled all of the Reich you could maybe see some change. But that seems unlikely without really shit writing and the youth are all fullblown kool-aid drinking Nazi loyalists. Even if you could get buy in from the adults who remember before the war, the kids/college aged people have full buy-in because they don't know any better. Change would have to start with the youth, and I just don't see that happening because of a bunch of Allied Victory films. Frank surviving the terrorist attack was also pretty wtf, but at least they got rid of him (again). He isn't healing from that lol.

I did like how Juliana called out how WTF the Nazi machine plan was, though, because I was thinking the same thing. How can you conquer a world unless you can scale the thing up to the point where you can basically just drive a fuckton of tanks/jets/etc through the portal? Although if the revelation in the final episode is accurate (that you can only travel to a world where you are dead/don't exist), then that seems to be kind of odd. That means Tagomi is dead in our world? I mean, I guess they could say he died in a ditch drunk or w/e and his family just didn't know it, which is why the show Tagomi could go there.

Anyways, as usual, John Smith was the best part of the season. Curious to see where the 4th and final season goes. Juliana maybe is traveling to the world she was executed in? Or maybe the world Trudi came from this season (since Juliana was dead there)?

well the whole invasion is a complete non-starter if it's true you can only 'travel' or survive the machine if your counterpart in the other universe is dead. i assume that angle of the story is just done

Cybsled

plus once you got there, you can’t get back unless you learn to travel. I could see John Smith exploiting this knowledge, though, to kill off certain individuals after making them think it is safe.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
juliana has such a leg up. she has a ton more info on who's alive and dead on both sides, plus she took part in training her sister to travel, and learned herself, so she'll be able to recruit from the good guy side and train up folks to come over to assist in the resistance, namely as has been said, smiths son. that will surly be the straw that breaks smith's back into flipping sides (again)

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Snape kills Dumbledore

Also, organizing a resistance effort across multiple-dimensions to liberate dimensions taken over by the Nazis is a pretty fucking cool concept

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I just recently got around to watching season 1, finally. (Never had Prime before).

Wow is it good. Just made it through S01E09. That film was a bit of a mindfuck at the end.

Pretty excited for this season 1 finale I'm starting. I bet I'll binge through the next two seasons before next weekend.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think the scifi aspect ruins what could be a top notch series. I'm way more into the political games of the Nazis vs Japanese for control of the world. It's still a pretty good show though and I look forward to it continuing. I just finished episode 6 of the new season.

I just got to finally watching this series and just finished Season 2 up tonight. I have to agree with this sentiment. The Sci-Fi brings the show down a tad. The show is still good, but it's far more interesting when the politics of the show are in action and not the stupid side stories. Just seeing Nazi society post-war is fascinating and surreal to even watch.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I just got to finally watching this series and just finished Season 2 up tonight. I have to agree with this sentiment. The Sci-Fi brings the show down a tad. The show is still good, but it's far more interesting when the politics of the show are in action and not the stupid side stories. Just seeing Nazi society post-war is fascinating and surreal to even watch.

This was exactly my thoughts at the same point.

I wished the sci fi was non-existent at the end of the 2nd season, but I think they recovered that aspect in the third season and got the show back on the track they wanted.