The Mandalorian

Sterling

El Presidente
I watched it last night and again this morning. I actually enjoyed it more the second time. I am a huge Star Wars Fanboi, but I am going into this with my eyes wide open. My one knock is that it felt and looked kind of low budget, which was surprising to me. Then again maybe I am being too critical, did anyone else feel it was a little lower budget than they expected?

EDIT: I forgot that I have a 2nd knock....the learning to ride the Blurrg scene was a little too corny for my taste.
The Blurg thing was definitely corny. Overall it was fine and I'll watch the next episode for sure. Nothing really knocked my socks off either so we'll see.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I think it was necessary if only to show that the badass main character, whose face we don't see, is not a 'mary sue' reincarnation of Boba Fett.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
lawl already spotted a goof in the episode, check his right shoulder as soon as he dismounts the machine gun - it's his old armor in the close up

Edit: yes phone pic of tv

IMG_20191112_173720.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
lawl already spotted a goof in the episode, check his right shoulder as soon as he dismounts the machine gun - it's his old armor in the close up

His shoulders change a lot during the first episode, sometimes they're even inverted.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Ok so I'm Star Wars retarded. Are Mandalorians a race or a group of people? It looks like they take him in from a battle and trained him but don't know if he's Mandalorian.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They look very human and are possibly derived from the same base species as the other humans in the Galaxy, but they are their own distinct warrior culture who had fought the Republic in the past.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Ok so I'm Star Wars retarded. Are Mandalorians a race or a group of people? It looks like they take him in from a battle and trained him but don't know if he's Mandalorian.

Mandalorians
were a predominantly human ethnolinguistic cultural group who originated on the planet Mandalore. Mandalorians had a particularly unique role in galactic history as legendary warriors against the Jedi, and could be commonly found not only on the Mandalorian homeworld and its moon, Concordia, but across Mandalorian Space and the galaxy at large on worlds such as Kalevala, Krownest, and Concord Dawn. Mandalore had a largely martial history, but by the time of the Clone Wars the pacifist and reformist New Mandalorian political faction controlled Mandalore's government, led by Duchess Satine Kryze. This led to internal conflict with other Mandalorian groups like Death Watch, who wanted to maintain the warrior ways of their Mandalorian heritage.

After the rise of the Galactic Empire, the Mandalore system came under the rule of the Empire with Gar Saxon as their Viceroy, while other Mandalorian worlds such as Concord Dawn were free from Imperial rule until Clan Saxon was defeated by the Mandalorian clans loyal to Bo-Katan Kryze, who took up the title of Mand'alor soon after.

There is more to read if you care too, just click that link above.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Am I the only one that hopes they go all Lone Wolf and Cub with the Mandalorian and the
baby yoda.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
Clone Wars/Rebels delved pretty hard into the Mandalorian culture, as did the KOTOR games a bit but KOTOR isn't canon

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why must Star Wars obliterate every speck of mystery? Fucking idiots. Even the EU got this right, the best they do is explain Luke never did figure out where Yoda was originally from or what his race was.

Featuring a toddler version of the race is hardly destroying the mystery. They have had additional members of the same race in EU comics, both KOTOR games, the TOR mmo, AND on the Jedi High Council in The Phantom Menace. I also think this depiction of Mandalorians is very strange seeing as how we've had extensive canonical depictions of Mandalorian culture in both Clone Wars and Rebels. This Judge Dredd thing is weird.

Not saying I dislike it but we'll see how it goes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pre-Empire and Post-Empire are very different things. Even the Rebels stuff is before ANH and they already showed a lot of conflict and friction between Mandos and the Empire.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It was a very satisfying set the stage kind of episode. I do like the fact they took the silly look of the IG robot from empire and did a solid job of making the design look actually functionally useful in practice kudos to them.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I do really hope IG-11 can be repaired / reprogrammed as they make such a cool duo in the short sequence we get. He needs someone to play off of.

• 3Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pre-Empire and Post-Empire are very different things. Even the Rebels stuff is before ANH and they already showed a lot of conflict and friction between Mandos and the Empire.

Mandalorians have been at war with themselves and the rest of the galaxy on and off since the time of the Old Republic. The Empire was barely even a blip to them. Although I guess none of that is canon anymore.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Mandalorians have been at war with themselves and the rest of the galaxy on and off since the time of the Old Republic. The Empire was barely even a blip to them. Although I guess none of that is canon anymore.
it's not canon in the sense that the details are open to be changed, but i'm pretty sure all the new canon stuff has implied that the general history of the mandolorians should be pretty much the same.

spronk

FPS noob
Watched it tonight, looks and sounds great in Dolby Vision 4K. A few scenes (going back "home" to the forge, the walk right up to it in particular) were maybe a tad bit dark but the day scenes were gorgeous. The credits also are fantastic.

I don't really understand the time period, I distinctly heard "the empire is gone" so its after ROTJ but can't be anywhere close to TFA, right?

TLJ broke me so hard i'm kinda still wary of trusting anything Star Wars, i guess this wasn't at least a huge pile of shit. I didn't like the twist at the end but thats just more I guess of how that sort of thing typically ruins movies and shows, we'll see.

Frankly I'm more excited now to play the Jedi Order game in 2 days, it'll be fun to play a SP star wars game again. Heard only good things about it so far.

• 3Like