The Mandalorian

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
More like Favreau and Filoni are carrying it, which they have been for 10+ yrs now but since a large chunk of the fan base won't ever watch a cartoon they didn't know about it
oh and if it was a cartoon i would watch Rebels. but it isnt. its some cg hanna barbara shit.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
so if you wanna see more of that stuff what do you have to watch? I honestly don't know fuck all about the TV shows, i assume its this list

Clone Wars seasons 1-6?
Rebels ??
?? wasnt there some janky ass show about young rebels

is it all on Disney+ or do you have to dig around on various places for it?

Fadaar

That guy
There's probably a watch guide out there for Clone Wars, there's quite a few episodes you could skip. Rebels is worth a full watch and it isn't as long as Clone Wars.

Sterling

El Presidente
Clone Wars has a good bit of filler episodes, but the main story is really good. Rebels is more consistent but peak Clone Wars is better than anything in Rebels. Both shows are much, much better than the Prequels/Sequels.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

so if you wanna see more of that stuff what do you have to watch? I honestly don't know fuck all about the TV shows, i assume its this list

Clone Wars seasons 1-6?
Rebels ??

is it all on Disney+ or do you have to dig around on various places for it?

When I finally sat down to watch Clone Wars, I skipped straight to season 2, and I didn't feel lost in the story (99% of the time). I did that skip because I kept reading about how great Clone Wars was, and it got progressively more mature as the seasons went on. Moreover, I would often read that you need to power through season 1, since it was the worst in terms of childish story elements.

Rebels follows the same pattern, but ended up starting from the beginning. I still had to power through the first half of season 1 and almost lost enough interest to drop it altogether.

It should all be on Disney+.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
That episode was a goddamn blast. I loved the really fast pacing, the worldbuilding, the inclusion of older familiar alien faces (again) like the Ponda Baba-type aliens gang in the sewers. The Imperial base was awesome, as was the chase in the ravine and the cliff-jumping speeder bikes. Also liking those new TIE models with the folding wings, they look a lot more impressive (even if as per tradition, every goddamn shot misses from troopers or TIE fighters alike).

Baby Yoda was funny without being distracting, and Mando was a badass more than usual (he sometimes has a rookie feel in some episodes, and it's fitting for the story but still), I liked the three-point landing when he flew out of the lava pit and mowed down the troopers.

What doesn't get nearly enough credit though is the sound engineers behind the show, they know to use just the right amount of nostalgic sound effects from the original trilogy to make it a lot of fun to even listen to, like last episode had a big ass crane that was clearly a repurposed AT-AT and it had just the right amount of AT-AT noises straight out of Hoth Battle, or this time the speeders in the ravine, etc..

This show makes me realize in this day and age of super-budgeted TV shows, this is a much more fitting format for Star Wars stories, as the trilogy format only leaves about 8 hours to tell a story and requires cutting a lot of world building and tension that generally makes the end result feel bland and uninspired, while this show takes its time and stays relevant because they sprinkle the stuff in every now and then to keep it awesome.

• 1Like

Cybsled

This show makes me realize in this day and age of super-budgeted TV shows, this is a much more fitting format for Star Wars stories, as the trilogy format only leaves about 8 hours to tell a story and requires cutting a lot of world building and tension that generally makes the end result feel bland and uninspired, while this show takes its time and stays relevant because they sprinkle the stuff in every now and then to keep it awesome.

Absolutely. Movies basically have to be a more or less self-contained entity with a clear story path progression. Good to tell one individual story, but doesn't leave a lot of space to world build or explore tangents. TV gives you a lot more freedom to experiment and really beef up world building and tangent stories, which definitely benefits a universe like Star Wars. The demand for all the EU books in the past demonstrates the appeal of such a thing.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also, was that the first Midichlorian reference since The Phantom Menace?
This was my take away too.

This episode was awesome. So far this season has blown away season 1. I could barely get through season 1 and cant wait for each new episode this season.

Am I the only one who cant get into Giancarlo Esposito being on this show though? Hes a fantastic actor but he just brings me out of it. Hes in too much stuff now, playing the same role.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
When I finally sat down to watch Clone Wars, I skipped straight to season 2, and I didn't feel lost in the story (99% of the time). I did that skip because I kept reading about how great Clone Wars was, and it got progressively more mature as the seasons went on. Moreover, I would often read that you need to power through season 1, since it was the worst in terms of childish story elements.

Rebels follows the same pattern, but ended up starting from the beginning. I still had to power through the first half of season 1 and almost lost enough interest to drop it altogether.

It should all be on Disney+.

cool, thanks will probably start a watch after thanksgiving. My tolerance for shitty TV is really high so lets see if I can suffer through season 1

also some people on twitter noticed a crew member showing up in this weeks episode, lol

Screen_Shot_2020_11_20_at_2.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
One of the appealing things about this show is that it's relatively small scale and self contained. I do have some concerns that them ramping it up and connecting it to the other stuff could make it lose some of that.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
oh and if it was a cartoon i would watch Rebels. but it isnt. its some cg hanna barbara shit.

Yeah I skipped all the SW cartoons at first because I can't stand that style of animation. But I got used to it. After watching rebels, the clone wars style didn't seem as bad. Rebels animation was peak shittiness. They dialed it back for resistance to something more tolerable.

Resistance. The best thing you can say about it is that it didn't last very long. So it won't be a big time sink if you decide to give it a shot. I'm betting there will be some tie in from it to a future show or movie.

I don't think any jedi or sith ever show up. So if you prefer the stories about force users this one won't be for you.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah I skipped all the SW cartoons at first because I can't stand that style of animation. But I got used to it. After watching rebels, the clone wars style didn't seem as bad. Rebels animation was peak shittiness. They dialed it back for resistance to something more tolerable.

Resistance. The best thing you can say about it is that it didn't last very long. So it won't be a big time sink if you decide to give it a shot. I'm betting there will be some tie in from it to a future show or movie.

I don't think any jedi or sith ever show up. So if you prefer the stories about force users this one won't be for you.
Resistance is tied into the new movies. You can easily ditch it.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gina def gained weight. I think its her arms. She is thicc as FUCK.

Still sexy though.

Need more darksaber.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This was my take away too.

This episode was awesome. So far this season has blown away season 1. I could barely get through season 1 and cant wait for each new episode this season.

Am I the only one who cant get into Giancarlo Esposito being on this show though? Hes a fantastic actor but he just brings me out of it. Hes in too much stuff now, playing the same role.
I dont care for Giancarlo Esposito at all. Its not that I dont like him, but you're right. He just doesnt seem to "fit" in my mind, either.
Gina def gained weight. I think its her arms. She is thicc as FUCK.

Still sexy though.

Need more darksaber.
Yep. I said something was different about her to my g/f. Then when she came back on screen, I noticed it was all in her arms. Think her costume would hide anything else she may have gained. Attractive, but definitely bulkier this season.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I dont care for Giancarlo Esposito at all. Its not that I dont like him, but you're right. He just doesnt seem to "fit" in my mind, either.

Yep. I said something was different about her to my g/f. Then when she came back on screen, I noticed it was all in her arms. Think her costume would hide anything else she may have gained. Attractive, but definitely bulkier this season.
ever since Breaking Bad theyve been using him for the "surprise big baddy!" role in a lot of shows. he's ok, but its not a surprise anymore.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
One of the best episode so far, I’ll say it again the show is way better when he has partners.

Baby Yoda was well used in this episode. He seems to understand stuff better which will go a long way to make him more interesting and allow Mando to interact with him more. The scene with him helping with repairs was a good example of that.

Everything with at the base and the chase that followed was pure Star Wars and I loved it. Felt like A New Hope to be honest.

I can’t wait to see what they do with Ashoka. With Filoni on board I trust they’ll do her justice.

Yeah Gina might be thicc but she’s still attractive.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
One of the best episode so far, I’ll say it again the show is way better when he has partners.

Baby Yoda was well used in this episode. He seems to understand stuff better which will go a long way to make him more interesting and allow Mando to interact with him more. The scene with him helping with repairs was a good example of that.

Everything with at the base and the chase that followed was pure Star Wars and I loved it. Felt like A New Hope to be honest.

I can’t wait to see what they do with Ashoka. With Filoni on board I trust they’ll do her justice.

Yeah Gina might be thicc but she’s still attractive.
I am not replying here to you to pick on you but you found identified things I was thinking as I watched it but not necessarily as positives, although I like the show:

"One of the best episode so far, I’ll say it again the show is way better when he has partners."
Mando is a Clint-Eastwoodesque Lone Ranger riding into town, its always going to be more about his effect on the world than the world's effect on him. Baby Yoda is there to provide emotional engagement.

"Everything with at the base and the chase that followed was pure Star Wars and I loved it. Felt like A New Hope to be honest."
Of course it did: It is an exact copy with a couple of tweaks of the Death Star escape and Millennium Falcon Pursuit from ANH. I mean, I love the originals as much as anyone but come on. I only expected the X-Wings to show up and shoot the TIEs but glad they gave Mando the hero moment. Makes the planet seem super small, though, if you think about that map from the beginning but I guess they did get there in a speeder.

I mean, I get it: Star Wars is popular because people love the OT. I love the OT. I don't care really that ever episode is more or less an homage to 40 year old movies, even in a series that is a retread of even older ideas. Just make it a less... I don't know, obvious? I don't know what I am trying to express here. Star Wars properties will always trade on nostalgies and "member-berries" at this point I guess, just don't make them the main course.

"Yeah Gina might be thicc but she’s still attractive."
will luke bryan GIF

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Thats not fair or accurate, star wars didnt invent the car chase. And using x wings to save somebody from imperials is literally what they have to use.

• 1Picard