The Mandalorian

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Either Din or Grogu is riding that Mythasaur.
why-not-both-why-not.gif

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Was good to see Coruscant fleshed out a little more in terms of the tone, and some of the day to day living experience-- which is something Lucas Film has been hesitant to do without a visionary in a future feature film. It's expanded the possibilities of the setting ever so slightly for other series down the road.

I also appreciated the gray depiction of the New Republic/Imperial. Two sides of the same coin.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah that was DARK. Very dehumanizing. They had him give that lecture to tons and tons of people about how his research was so coo. They showed him off as a model convert to the New Republic only to throw him back into a tenament housing facility and make him work a menial clerk role with no intention of letting him do any actual medical research.

Now his brain is fried on the orders of Moff Gideon I assume so that he can never reveal what he was doing. Meanwhile we have a shitton of Ties attacking Mando and Bo Katan for unknown reasons that they never get back to...

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I gotta stop checking this thread before I get the chance to sit down and watch it. You fuckers watching it at like 6am and shit.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
in this weeks episode of the mANDORlorian....good stuff, wasn't a lot of Mando time but what there was was awesome. Love the intrigue stuff creeping into this show

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah that was DARK. Very dehumanizing. They had him give that lecture to tons and tons of people about how his research was so coo. They showed him off as a model convert to the New Republic only to throw him back into a tenament housing facility and make him work a menial clerk role with no intention of letting him do any actual medical research.

Now his brain is fried on the orders of Moff Gideon I assume so that he can never reveal what he was doing. Meanwhile we have a shitton of Ties attacking Mando and Bo Katan for unknown reasons that they never get back to...

with dr pershing, i got the impression that
the tenement stuff was temporary, kind of like a supportive housing facility for people in rehab, they even referred to him as "relapsing." i used to work as a substance abuse counselor in supportive living, and it felt very similar to that. the residents would have already gone through inpatient and generally completed a 6-9 month halfway house program. then they'd move into an apartment and were generally left to their own devices, whether that was getting a job or volunteering, working their program (12 steps or whatever they happen to be involved in to keep them sober). as a counselor i'd meet with each one once a week or so (not entirely unlike the droid he was checking in with). in the beginning of their stay i was focused on helping them with their transition, helping them get a lay of the land geographically if they were new to the area. we'd do a little bit of counseling though by the time they got to me they mostly just needed the consistency of meeting with someone, they generally had everything figured out sobriety-wise. i'd also focus a lot on hooking them up with any external programs and resources.

the timeline of it all was generally inpatient for 14-28 days, then halfway house for 6-9 months, then supportive living for 2-3 years. obviously it's a case-by-case system but that's the guideline we'd look at. anyway, my point is that it felt like dr pershing already went through the inpatient and halfway house version and he was going to be staying in the tenement and doing menial jobs for a little bit, but it was by no means permanent. i get the impression that once he "graduated" the tenement phase, he'd more or less be free to explore whatever work he was interested in. it's a little iffy on if he'd be able to go into his preferred medical field as his expertise was in cloning and that's a huge no-no in the republic. he'd have a LONG way to go before he could get approved to do anything with that.

as far as why they gave him just some low-level clerk job, there's obviously room to argue on both sides, but as per my experience with recovering addicts, they do well with basic jobs. i don't mean that as an insult about their competency, it's the opposite, in fact. generally addicts are addicts because they have a LONG string of losses that they just can't get ahead of, so giving them something simple, something quantifiable, it helps them start measuring their lives in successes instead of failure after failure. it's very much meant to be a stepping stone to better and better things. obviously we're talking about two very different situations here, addicts and people who were indoctrinated by the empire, but the psychology of working through that is pretty similar, at least as it's depicted here.

and yeah, chick did him real dirty. as soon as she popped up i was like DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING SHE HAS TO SAY, SHE'S GOING TO GET YOU KILLED

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if that was the modified version of the mind fuck device from Andor they used on that rebel chick.-

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if that was the modified version of the mind fuck device from Andor they used on that rebel chick.-
I feel like it is probably some technology the imperials cobbled together based on that torture device and that monster that Saw had in Rogue 1 (which I think also showed up again in the comics being used by the Empire?)

I know Filoni is a big fan of The Last Jedi, and how many of the Republic themes from that movie were in this episode, showing how little they progressed and how destined to fail they really were.

The rich people were again shown as idle, and how Republic, Empire, Rebellion, New Republic, none of it meant anything to them, other than what banners hung from the buildings. And in their efforts to just sweep the dark times under the rug, we are shown in the doc's menial job, they are not only throwing away perfectly good and working technology, his boss also mentions decommissioning the rebel fleet (if I heard him right).

but in the same episode (and really all of gideon's plot from S2), we know there are imperial enclaves that exist, some clearly in great number and power. Which I guess also gives more plausibility to the First Order coming to prominence and the Republic not noticing something happening on the rim, but also having no way to oppose it. The pendulum swung too far the other way and they had left themselves wide open to being crushed again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Interesting episode. At first I thought the Dr. was actually a clone of himself. The weird pause thinking about his mother, the guy saying "you're new" and him freaking out a little. Got myself all excited. Also kept getting distracted because Pershing is only known to me as the taxi driver who gets buttfucked by a Genie in American Gods and nothing else. Just can't stop thinking about that anytime I see his weird off-kilter lip thing in a show or movie.

Also thought the cloning was setting up the Palpatine Cloning and Elaine was just going to funnel his research to the First Order. GUESS I'M WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING. That usually means it's good writing if it's not completely predictable.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

If they're willing to wipe the mind of an asset like that, then that suggests they either have someone who can carry on his work, or they didn't need him anymore. Assassination would have drawn too much attention and clearly they want to stay on the DL - effectively eliminating someone who could provide info to the New Republic + using that elimination to actually elevate a spy inside the New Republic is a pretty clever way of going about it

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This episode was not my jam. It was slow and boring and the cinematography made it feel very disjointed.

Neil Degrasse Tyson being a Mando was funny.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you jigs are crazy, this was more bullshit, 10 minutes of Mando and then 40 minutes this pointless story about a cuck falling for a bulldyke who obviously had no interest in him, he tossed everything away for some graham crackers. all this, just so they could set up the "it's a trap" meme. bring back Gina.

• 4Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 7 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Im not super huge into Star Wars - I tried to look up Ezra and Thrawn and it "seems" like they are from the animated series? We were sitting here trying to figure out what the cthulu looking things were when they were in hyperspace.

Yeah another thing pulled from legends. Han and Lando dealt with them first. Apparently there are things that live in hyperspace. And like was mentioned, foreshadowing of ezra and thrawn since they were taken away by one of them.

Lots of folks want to see Benedict Cumberbatch in the role, and i'm one of them.

Last I heard he refused to wear blue makeup.

Are they setting up a Bo-Din possible romance to unite Mandalore and keep the darksaber 'in the family'? If she goes back to abide by the Creed, can they take off their helmets if married or do they just skip foreplay all together? Inquiring minds want to know.

My wife asked basically the same thing. "So no oral sex at all then?"