The Mandalorian

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Damn. I was clapping like a spazzy schoolgirl when the Mandos fucked all the bounty hunters up

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the mando's here also seem MUCH more focused on the religion of being a mando though. maybe i just don't remember much of what the mandolorians were like in clone wars, but the way they talk about their armor and weapons... there's a reverence that i don't think i ever saw in the other depictions of them.

my point earlier was just that some people are born mandalorian and some people are converted. these clearly seem like converts.

all that being said... i am extremely worried we're going to get a scene were mando has his helmet removed and it he's kicked out of the order and has to earn his place or whatever nonsense. never taking your helmet off is really pretty silly, though. how do you eat? how do you sleep? even from the simple practical fact that all armor and weapons need upkeep. i'd be fine if they framed it in a way that said he was allowed to remove it in private... but she flatly asked him "have you ever taken your helmet off?" "no."

bruh. don't you brush your teeth?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the mando's here also seem MUCH more focused on the religion of being a mando though. maybe i just don't remember much of what the mandolorians were like in clone wars, but the way they talk about their armor and weapons... there's a reverence that i don't think i ever saw in the other depictions of them.

my point earlier was just that some people are born mandalorian and some people are converted. these clearly seem like converts.

Their armor is ancient and typically outlives multiple wearers. Sabine mentions in Rebels that hers is 500 years old. Which is another reason why I don't think these people are actually mandalorians, cause aside from Jarron they're all wearing junk, and so was he until he lucked into some beskar. And I've never heard of someone being 'converted' to mandalorian either. Sounds like the star wars version of weebs.

j00t

Their armor is ancient and typically outlives multiple wearers. Sabine mentions in Rebels that hers is 500 years old. Which is another reason why I don't think these are "real" mandalorians. And I've never heard of someone being 'converted' to mandalorian either. Sounds like the star wars version of weebs.
well, you have people like sabine who are devoted to the cause, and you have people like jango and boba that really seem like they couldn't care less about mandalore and just use the armor as almost a status symbol (referring specifically to the movies, i have no idea what any of their views about mandalore are in the legacy stuff)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
well, you have people like sabine who are devoted to the cause, and you have people like jango and boba that really seem like they couldn't care less about mandalore and just use the armor as almost a status symbol (referring specifically to the movies, i have no idea what any of their views about mandalore are in the legacy stuff)

Lucas has said that Jango and Boba were not real Mandalorians. This goes for Canon, they were in the Legends stuff. They even say in the Clone Wars cartoon that Jango was just a BH that got ahold of some Mando armor.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

j00t

i remember in the clone wars that that one mando said jango wasn't a real mandalorian, but i wasn't ever sure if that was just some snobby rich dude with old money complaining about the new money in town

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
i remember in the clone wars that that one mando said jango wasn't a real mandalorian, but i wasn't ever sure if that was just some snobby rich dude with old money complaining about the new money in town

Lucas actually asked Filoni to put that in the series. That dude was the head of Mandalore at the time I think. I remember it was even Obi Wan asking about Jango.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Just watched the first three episodes. Really pretty good. I enjoyed it thoroughly. And it did feel like the original films. I hope for a good, full season.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Just watched the first three episodes. Really pretty good. I enjoyed it thoroughly. And it did feel like the original films. I hope for a good, full season.

I am not upset with the "shorter" episode lengths as there doesn't seem to be a lot of filler.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I saw episode three and so much for Mando remaining a bad-ass/bad guy...

Yodel is too cute. Is it only me that thinks he is 5 different sizes in the first 3 episodes.? He shrunk by about 50% in ep 3.

That scientist dude needed to be fried.

j00t

i don't remember who said it, but i'd agree that they are going the indiana jones route for badass. like, he's always going to win but he's going to get the piss beat out of him in the process. i think there are a few small things they could do to change that though. i get that they want bounty hunters in general to seem like a cut above your average fodder, so when mando fights them, it's not some easy win. but we keep seeing him getting beat up and tossed around so it just looks like he's an average nobody in cool armor.

they SHOULD have made that whole stormtrooper in the bunker scene like a horror movie for the troopers. just have him taking out each one separately from the shadows while the remaining ones get more and more visibly shaken by it. have them start out cocky and whatnot but by the end they're just screaming in terror.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
except that nonsense about never taking your helmet off is not mandalorian culture. this is like some cult of mandalorian fanboys that was founded by someone who wasnt mandalorian.
At first I thought the same thing based on the cartoons, then I thought about time this is set in. Perhaps they have created a new code to survive after the wars. The whole "This Is The Way" mantra etc. At least that is my hope as to how they explain it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
At first I thought the same thing based on the cartoons, then I thought about time this is set in. Perhaps they have created a new code to survive after the wars. The whole "This Is The Way" mantra etc. At least that is my hope as to how they explain it.

Mandalorian culture is thousands of years old. They've kicked ass and gotten their asses kicked many times throughout the history of the galaxy. The show takes place in 9 ABY, which means it's only 11 or so years post-Rebels, and the take off your helmet culture was alive and well at that time. There were even *gasp* Mandalorian non-combatants.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Mandalorian culture is thousands of years old. They've kicked ass and gotten their asses kicked many times throughout the history of the galaxy. The show takes place in 9 ABY, which means it's only 11 or so years post-Rebels, and the take off your helmet culture was alive and well at that time. There were even *gasp* Mandalorian non-combatants.
I could very well be mis-remembering but didn't the Mando's get their shit pushed in by the Empire and basically lose their home world? IIRC then that would explain why they are on the "run" and have to move the Blacksmith. Maybe they have adapted this new code to survive for their first time with out Mandalore as their home base.

Again, I my memory could be totally fucked, I did get hit in the head a lot in college.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I could very well be mis-remembering but didn't the Mando's get their shit pushed in by the Empire and basically lose their home world? IIRC then that would explain why they are on the "run" and have to move the Blacksmith. Maybe they have adapted this new code to survive for their first time with out Mandalore as their home base.

Again, I my memory could be totally fucked, I did get hit in the head a lot in college.

Canonically they are all alive and have just overthrown the Imperial occupation of Mandalore like a year or so before the Battle of Yavin. This is from 2018 during final season of Rebels.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
My bad then...

But why did that Big Mando in Episode 3 say (regarding the Imperial cast Beskar) "These are the spoils of the great purge and the reason we live hidden like sand Rats."

To which the Blacksmith replies "Our secrecy is our survival, our survival is our strength."

The Big Mando then says "Our strength was once in our numbers. Now we live in the shadows and only come above ground one at a time. Our world was shattered by the Empire with whom this coward shares tables."

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
On another note my wife just asked what character Carl Weathers played in the old movies. I replied Apollo Creed and she looked at funny and said, "no, what's his name...Lando?" Then I called her a racists.

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 7 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My bad then...

But why did that Big Mando in Episode 3 say (regarding the Imperial cast Beskar) "These are the spoils of the great purge and the reason we live hidden like sand Rats."

To which the Blacksmith replies "Our secrecy is our survival, our survival is our strength."

The Big Mando then says "Our strength was once in our numbers. Now we live in the shadows and only come above ground one at a time. Our world was shattered by the Empire with whom this coward shares tables."

Either Favreau doesn't care about existing canon, or he's deciding that the Empire wiped out Mandalore after the events of Rebels and Sabine decided not to go back and help defend her home and family. And the stupid 'derp we never take our helmets off' will be because Bo-Katan Kryze got sniped with her helmet off during a pivotal moment in the battle.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Great episode, but I still feel like the mandalorian lore stuff and all the interactions in their hideout are kinda lame. And the one dude flying next to the ship like the Rocketeer was super hokey. But overall, still good.

The episodes almost feel like they've paced and plotted like shorts (a bit like those Oats Studios Sci-Fi shorts). There's just a really simple, almost non existent story, then they just let some cool stuff happen over the run time. Whenever those kinds of shorts are adapted for longer formats, they always fuck them up by trying to cram too much in, so it's refreshing that they let this be so uncomplicated (unlike the profession of bounty hunting)