The Mandalorian

Kanglor

Silver Knight of the Realm
Waited to judge until I'd given it 5 episodes, just in case it rapidly picked up, but I'm finding it incredibly dull. The run time point is interesting, but the plots in each episode seem pretty thin as is, not sure if another 10 minutes would make it better or just make it worse. Comparing this to first 3-4 episodes of The Expanse(just did a rewatch) or The Boys, those shows had me all in by that point and couldn't wait to see what happens next.

Seen it mentioned before, but if this was just a new IP show on Netflix/SyFy/etc it would probably already be buried, certainly not getting individual episode reviews by pretty much every known Youtuber and other social media platforms. Maybe it'll pick up on the back half of the season, but it will be fascinating to see how the general opinion comes out at the end.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lets guess some possible trope episode themes for the rest of the season.
Mando's twin brother, is evil.
Mando's ex wife
Baby Yoda's first words
Baby Yoda's parents
Somebody Mando trusts will double cross him for the BH guild/Werner Herzog. Baby Yoda is taken away. Cara Dune?
Mysterious Stranger (boots) turns out to be some surprise person from the original trilogy.
Mando meets up with people who tie into the Rise of Skywalker. Rey's parents?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I don't recall if it was already posted here, but it feels even more relevant w/ some of the comments.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
Maybe it's just that obvious but I've seen nobody mention that Mando and newbie-bounty-hunter-guy are sitting at the same table Han and Greedo sit at in ANH.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe it's just that obvious but I've seen nobody mention that Mando and newbie-bounty-hunter-guy are sitting at the same table Han and Greedo sit at in ANH.

The ‘member berries were so damn thick that no one cared by the table scene.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Im still enjoying it for what it is, but when I think about what I thought it would be like after the first trailer and compare that to what it actually is, there’s definitely some disappointment. It has so much potential, but currently feels small

• 2Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I cant fathom why they went with 30 min episodes instead of 1 hr. There is just so much nuance/story/backstory and shit missing because of the runtime. It all feels so rushed.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I cant fathom why they went with 30 min episodes instead of 1 hr. There is just so much nuance/story/backstory and shit missing because of the runtime. It all feels so rushed.

Money. Think of it this way. they have 8 episodes.. seeing that they are averaging 30 minutes an episode that's still 4 hours of TV they are producing for 150 million. The CG and shit isn't movie perfect but it still takes money do all that stuff. It feels like this was meant to be 6 episodes and stretched to 8.

Also this sets a precedent for all their other Disney+ shows coming up. Mind you, we have been brainswashed into thinking dramas should be hour long affairs though. Even then most hour long dramas are really like 42 minutes when you cut out ads.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well yeah money, of course, but why scrimp out on their first grand show on Disney+?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well yeah money, of course, but why scrimp out on their first grand show on Disney+?
the first 2 episodes are probably the pilot broken up. they meant to make them 1hr episodes originally, but budget cuts hit them for whatever reason, perhaps loss of faith in the SW brand could have affected it. this is a very polished show, but you can see where they cut some corners. such as multiple flavors of desert planets and very limited cast.

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I'm feel like this show will see a "better" second season.. just purely off the trends from TFA to TLJ or Solo, whatever was most recent, has been a complete down trend just using RT. The Mandalorian has seemingly been the only real positive reception since their acquisition and probably the first season serves up more of a testing waters on a multitude of levels from Star Wars series, to the eventual MCU series, and to Disney+ as a whole.. who knows, they could keep the same formula and this is just what we get for x ep/seasons.

My theory is that Kennedy will 'retire' after Rise.. opening the door for probably Favearu or somebody to orchestrate the universe similar to Feige.. Mando is just the beginning the candidacy, if it failed/s, they'll bring in other names. Buut thats just me being optimistic.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
They're probably playing it safe given the hatred for the movies before they go all-in. If this continues to do well, they'll probably renew the series and you may see others as well.

Its obvious that Star Wars will never be great again in the movie theaters, but they've done well for smaller projects. They would probably benefit from pumping out more of these WB/CW-type shows, just like they've done with the DC Universe.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They're probably playing it safe given the hatred for the movies before they go all-in. If this continues to do well, they'll probably renew the series and you may see others as well.
Season 2 is almost done filming already. It was renewed before the season started.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Other than a couple speeder issues the effects have been top notch

• 1Like