The Mandalorian

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I'm just happy that the accumulation of episodes that were a mixed bag on reviews, all still paid off to some degree.. It wasn't a pointless adventure, and gave us enough scope to "get to know" characters without beating us over the head on them. I'm not entirely against the current episodic formula, but I do believe that a singular director or set of specific directors will help it. I'd imagine if Chow, Filoni, and Famuyiwa continue to work together.. their style and flow will become more cohesive to one another, and won't feel like 3 distinct people without glaring at it.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Filoni but I enjoy Famuyiwa's visual directions.. the sandcrawler scene was awesome, and just watching them navigate the new republic prison was a ton of fun.. Chow though, she just a banger.. if what was said above about her helming the Obiwan series; i'm pretty hyped.

As far as the hype, its purely a piece of corn amongst the turd of contemporary star wars. I don't think anyone will say that its a masterpiece by any means.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1. Dave Filoni
2. Rick Famuyiwa
3. Deborah Chow
4. Bryce Dallas Howard
5. Dave Filoni
6. Rick Famuyiwa
7. Deborah Chow
8. Taika Waititi (not aired yet)

The only one that I would probably not invite back is Bryce Dallas Howard. I thought Chow and Famuyiwa did the best work.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Carl Weathers will be directing an episode for the new season. Not sure how I feel about them seemingly throwing inexperienced directors into the mix when the seasons are so short

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
This was a good episode. Just highlights how darn inconsistent this season has been.

I agree that Mando is a dummy. I was also hoping for a gunfight. I was surprised that Carl Weather's character (I don't even know his name) was the fast-gun. Mando and Cara were both oblivious. The Pteradactyl scene was kind of weird. Felt tacked on and also demonstrated that blasters and laser gatling guns are not great weapons. Also, the guild bounty hunters should have cared more about Mando's (and potentially Baby Yoda's) bounty than any bullshit pay they moght have been getting to tag along.

The final scenario is unwinnable. Here comes a big "deus ex machina" to get them out.

I have a theory that Mando's lineage/heritage will become important. He's really not a very good bounty hunter/mercenary/killer. This might explain why baby Yoda protects him too.

spronk

FPS noob
1. Dave Filoni
2. Rick Famuyiwa
3. Deborah Chow
4. Bryce Dallas Howard
5. Dave Filoni
6. Rick Famuyiwa
7. Deborah Chow
8. Taika Waititi (not aired yet)

The only one that I would probably not invite back is Bryce Dallas Howard. I thought Chow and Famuyiwa did the best work.

i'm just curious, what does a director bring to something like this? The scripts are written, the sets and costumes and cast are pretty much set (continuity), I just assume a director for this kinda show is more involved with the edits, cinematography, etc. I don't really notice any huge difference from episode to episode, just "hey that looked cool" kinda stuff like in episode 7 when the prison changed from all white (heist) to all dark and red and shit (PG13 horror) that was very cool.

I know people bring up the greats from Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad and stuff as directors to watch for, but I do wonder how much is in their control at all

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This was a good episode. Just highlights how darn inconsistent this season has been.

I agree that Mando is a dummy. I was also hoping for a gunfight. I was surprised that Carl Weather's character (I don't even know his name) was the fast-gun. Mando and Cara were both oblivious. The Pteradactyl scene was kind of weird. Felt tacked on and also demonstrated that blasters and laser gatling guns are not great weapons. Also, the guild bounty hunters should have cared more about Mando's (and potentially Baby Yoda's) bounty than any bullshit pay they moght have been getting to tag along.

The final scenario is unwinnable. Here comes a big "deus ex machina" to get them out.

I have a theory that Mando's lineage/heritage will become important. He's really not a very good bounty hunter/mercenary/killer. This might explain why baby Yoda protects him too.
i think Mando is "the best" because people think he is the one catching all these criminals when in reality there are a shitload of mandalorians nobody knows about doing the jobs and bringing the armosmith/leader all their pay. this "mando" is just one of the crew. that being said, i dont think he is a total dummy, but lets just say he's good at one thing. bounty hunting. his skillset doesnt include much outside what is required for his job.

Jive Turkey

Karen
. Also, the guild bounty hunters should have cared more about Mando's (and potentially Baby Yoda's) bounty than any bullshit pay they moght have been getting to tag along.

They did. They were along for the double cross to collect the Mando/Baby Yoda bounty until Carl Weathers changed his mind after getting healed

The other Mandos will probably come to the rescue

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Funny how much views vary just reading the last page or so, to me Ep 5 was the worst of the season and oddly enough it was a Filoni Episode. I love Filoni so it surprised me how I disliked that one. I think 7 & 6 are the best of the season in that order, but a lot of you disliked 6. So I guess we can at least say there is something for everyone in this series.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed the episode allot i jsut wish it was a bit longer so they can flesh it out.
My predictions:
Quille is not dead, the speeder trooper shot the mount from under him and he is knocked out from the fall
The speeder guys will radio in that they have the baby and the big bad will pack up his elite troupers and jet, leaving only a handful of redshirt troopers to finish off Mando and the crew.
Once they are left with more manageable numbers Quille /Droid will ride in and provide distraction for a quick imperial trooper cleanup on isle 4
Once the leftover imperials are dealt with the crew will get on the ship and go chasing the bad guy and baby Yoda.
Season 2 start will be all about trying to free the kid from the Big Bad.

Jive Turkey

Karen
but it would be such a waste to kill him off so soon.

I'm sad to see him go if he is dead, but it does give some emotional weight to the end of the season. It also puts in motion IG-88's revenge turn and solidifies a team for next season.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
i think Mando is "the best" because people think he is the one catching all these criminals when in reality there are a shitload of mandalorians nobody knows about doing the jobs and bringing the armosmith/leader all their pay. this "mando" is just one of the crew. that being said, i dont think he is a total dummy, but lets just say he's good at one thing. bounty hunting. his skillset doesnt include much outside what is required for his job.

He certainly hasn't developed a chronic sense of distrust that I'd expect any wise bounty hunter to have.

• 1Garbage

gauze

Molten Core Raider
i'm just curious, what does a director bring to something like this?
I'm not 100% but I do believe directors still can adjust/edit/change the script to fit their narrative. They still have to work under the supervision of Fav, but have a lot of creative freedoms within that bubble, which is probably why it seems so disjointed.. but as far as I can tell, Chow delivers more emotional and suspenseful narratives, they are generally giving her the heavier "story" while someone like Famuyiwa's getting episodes that are on a beat, and are seemingly more 'fun' and 'adventure-y.' Best I can describe Filoni's are nostalgia raping, with the Tattooine ep, and the first episode. None of which I think is directly related to the writer/s, but in tandem with the story line set out by said writer/s. Taika episode will be interesting because i'm banking on it being a larger sum of their budget and will potentially be a pretty crazy/interesting/good episode to end it off on... or they're just giving it to him because he likes playing roles in his own stuff, and they gave him IG-11... so hes just giving a freebie/IG-11 focused episode.

Basically, the directors make it look like either ABC Family(Howard), Scyfy(Famuyiwa), and FX(Chow). Either way the cinematography is pretty important but I can't care enough for a show like this to look at it in multiple viewings.. but I did read a thing about Chow and the scene delivering the baby on cinematic decisions, like how Baby Yoda leaving the screen versus the camera following/centering on him sets a subconscious tone to the viewer. And like you said, with Famuyiwa's PG13 horror strobe scene was just some dumb fun shit he wanted to put in because it probably implies enough to be seemingly intense and horrifying without actually being so.

Either way, i'm probably an idiot and am wrong; but I did enjoy Famuyiwa's movie Dope and watch far too many video essays on shit like this; but if you're ever bored.. Every Frame a Painting is amazing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
He certainly hasn't developed a chronic sense of distrust that I'd expect any wise bounty hunter to have.
He has the distrust but he got himself into a situation where he pretty much has to kill the person sending the hunters or its never going to stop. He brought backup because he fully expected to be betrayed at some point. When we have seen him in HUNT mode he is hyper competent but a lot of what he is winding up doing is outside the man hunting area of competence and outside his areas of expertise he is a lot less sure of himself.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nick Nolte is definitely dead.

The sombre music as it showed his body was a clear signal that he was toast.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Nick Nolte is definitely dead.

The sombre music as it showed his body was a clear signal that he was toast.

Yeah, as much as I hope he isn't, pretty sure he is a goner. Gotta give IG-11 some revenge material.

• 1Like