The Mandalorian

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Your like some conspiracy expert or something? I like the cut of your jib, but back up off me bro.

Cybsled

For the record, I would have been in that writers room advocating for never trying to show Luke's face at all. Using shots of his hands (one gloved and one not), Marks voice and R2 you could have imparted the meaning and gravitas of the scene while keeping the audience needing more and paying fan service. At most you have him keep the hood up and hide your CGI all the better.

I think showing him was the right move.

1) Going with a look alike still creates the "uncanny valley" effect in a respect, except now the audience is focusing on everything that makes the actor not Mark Hammil
2) Not showing him fully still has some of the CGI shortcomings, but you're just obscuring more and you lessen the impact of seeing a young Mark Hammil (the 1984 hair helps really sell it).

The CGI wasn't perfect, but I think the audience is most accepting of it because it basically hits that "holy shit, it is 1980s Luke Skywalker!".

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jive Turkey

Karen
I think showing him was the right move.
Agreed. You really have to show him from a story telling perspective. Keeping him hooded and showing only shots of his gloved hand etc serves no purpose and only calls attention to itself. Those kinds of shots are used in the build up to a reveal, not the reveal itself. At the point the audience is meant to know who the character is, you shoot him the same way you shoot anyone else in the room. Otherwise it's just an odd directorial choice that serves no film making purpose.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I watched it all and loved it. I hated 1,2,3,7,8.. And won't watch ep 9
When the "single" x-wing came in I knew it had to be Luke and was pumped.. When grogu was sitting on the rock ball with the blue light I thought it'd be Luke who came.
Bit of a shame he didn't talk to the rebel chick though.. There has to be some history if only loosely, at the same base once etc .. Looking forward to stories that don't involve a Jedi though.
I have so many EU books and there are so many great stories to be explored.
I was gutted when the EU got axed from cannon.
TLDR:
i only like the OG trilogy and like to read, mando is cool

• 2Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At least they are attempting to do the CGI de aging shit in order to have moments like that. Its not perfect but it still works for the most part.

It was one of the top moments in Star Wars history IMO.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its a true testament to both the quality of the other effects and the effort put into practical sets that you guys have been wrangling over a 15 second clip in this show. Flawed CGI Luke was the best possible route because it gave the fans the one thing they really wanted most. That being a Luke untainted by KK, RJ, and the army of blue hairs that destroyed the entire reboot trilogy with TLJ.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think what needs to be said is that even with the flaws of de-aged luke, it was still a great moment. it's pretty interesting that marvel seems to do de-aging brilliantly while star wars always looks... off, despite being owned by the same company. i mean there shoulnd't be any issues with communicating on HOW marvel pulls it off.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
i think what needs to be said is that even with the flaws of de-aged luke, it was still a great moment. it's pretty interesting that marvel seems to do de-aging brilliantly while star wars always looks... off, despite being owned by the same company. i mean there shoulnd't be any issues with communicating on HOW marvel pulls it off.
Are companies required to disclose subcontracting? I could easily see Lucasfilms subcontracted out the deaging and for some discount, agreed to use it on all their projects for X years. Marvel did the same but went with a different contractor. Just because they are owned by the same parent company means there's some cohesive intercompany communication going on.

Could just be budget too. The CGI in Black Panther was terrible in some spots, certainly not up to Marvel standards. Ran out of time and/or money?

Jive Turkey

Karen
Was it confirmed to be de-aging? I would think modern day Hamill's face is way too different to effectively apply any deaging tech; his head shape is completely different than when he was younger. There was a body double used for some scenes, so I'm curious if they just had that person stand in for filming then have Hamill deliver the lines off camera separately for the audio. Perhaps having the actor lip sync to the prerecorded lines. I know Hamill was on set, but that could've been to work with the body double on posture, etc.
Would be much easier to overlay a digital mask of young Luke onto a head that is pretty close than to have all that extra work in making old Hamill look young.

j00t

no it wasn't de-aging, that's just the generic term we're using. there was a stand-in that they cgi'd. honestly i wouldn't be surprised if hamil didn't have much to do, he was just on set out of respect, you know?

the biggest problem with the whole thing was the mouth. it didn't sync up right. the mouth movement was very stiff and i'm not entirely sure what the process was that caused that or how to fix it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jive Turkey

Karen
the biggest problem with the whole thing was the mouth. it didn't sync up right. the mouth movement was very stiff and i'm not entirely sure what the process was that caused that or how to fix it
Might've been an overcompensation for the cartoony over animated look of Tarkin's mouth. The mouth seems to be one of those regions that we easily pick up on as being phoney if it's not completely dialled in. I feel like they're still trying to find the sweet spot

Fadaar

That guy
no it wasn't de-aging, that's just the generic term we're using. there was a stand-in that they cgi'd. honestly i wouldn't be surprised if hamil didn't have much to do, he was just on set out of respect, you know?

it was Hamill himself that did the scene, the double they listed in the credits was for everything prior to the door opening

• 3Like

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
The choices between CGI vs Practical vs Mixed vs Cut/Edit the Scene have ruined or made many a show. As your friend will attest these are the kind of decisions made months in advance of cameras rolling and are the bane of both business side producers and creative producers.

And either way you go, the nerds on the internet could have always done it better.

For the record, I would have been in that writers room advocating for never trying to show Luke's face at all. Using shots of his hands (one gloved and one not), Marks voice and R2 you could have imparted the meaning and gravitas of the scene while keeping the audience needing more and paying fan service. At most you have him keep the hood up and hide your CGI all the better.
This is a great take and maybe even better than what actually transpired. Especially when considered from Mando's perspective, where's he's only run into force users in the last year or so (From when he got grogu to luke). All of us know its Luke Skywalker, but whether it was luke or any other jedi really isnt of consequence to Mando himself.

But then there's the out-of-universe stuff...I think they went with showing him outright because after the sequels, the fans needed Luke rehabilitated and this bought Disney a ton of good will, and gave Disney an ROI on buying Hamill's likeness.

• 2Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
This is a great take and maybe even better than what actually transpired. Especially when considered from Mando's perspective, where's he's only run into force users in the last year or so (From when he got grogu to luke). All of us know its Luke Skywalker, but whether it was luke or any other jedi really isnt of consequence to Mando himself.

But then there's the out-of-universe stuff...I think they went with showing him outright because after the sequels, the fans needed Luke rehabilitated and this bought Disney a ton of good will, and gave Disney an ROI on buying Hamill's likeness.

They needed to show the audience who it was because having Grogu leave with a beloved character was the only way to end that storyline in a fulfilling way. It was actually a bit of a stroke of genius. We're meant to feel protective of baby Yoda. Luke comes with decades of built-in trust from the audience. It was kind of perfect.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
They needed to show the audience who it was because having Grogu leave with a beloved character was the only way to end that storyline in a fulfilling way. It was actually a bit of a stroke of genius. We're meant to feel protective of baby Yoda. Luke comes with decades of built-in trust from the audience. It was kind of perfect.
Dont get me wrong here, I loved that scene. I think everyone reading this thread did, and I think the jedi who got Grogu was gonna be someone known to the audience. But even without showing Luke's face, in terms of familiariy the black glove, single x-wing, and green lightsaber are all the cues you really need to know who was there.

In the context of Screamfeeder Screamfeeder 's post, though, under any normal circumstance, you are required to make that choice about how much budget to chew through to achieve the desired effect. I personally like the heavy handed hint approach. Here, though, the variables are Disney (money isnt an object) and Luke Skywalker (The just purchased likeness). If I'm Disney, and I need fans our age back on board, you show that motherfucker to the world.

• 3Like

j00t

if they DIDN'T show luke's face, i think it would have felt super cheap. i mean most of us knew it was luke as soon as the x-wing showed up. whoever hadn't figured it out knew exactly who he was when the green lightsaber was out as well as the single black glove. at that point it wasn't really a "reveal" when they showed luke's face... unless they did some goofy side camera angles or something, it just would have felt like they were trying to hide who he is, even though everyone knows who he is. i think they definitely did the right thing showing his face even though the cgi was less than perfect

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
kinda, we had decades of trust for Luke, but then we have the fucking asshole Jake Skywalker running around in TLJ who tried to murder his nephew and threw his lightsaber away along with everything else he held dear. they really really need to fucking address that shit.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty

Cybsled

Dont get me wrong here, I loved that scene. I think everyone reading this thread did, and I think the jedi who got Grogu was gonna be someone known to the audience. But even without showing Luke's face, in terms of familiariy the black glove, single x-wing, and green lightsaber are all the cues you really need to know who was there.

Huge fans knew this, but most regular people didn't know until he pulled the hood off.

Hardcore fans knew the second the X-Wing showed up and Grogu reacted to a force user, and even more knew when the green saber+glove showed up. But your average fan you might only have seen the Star Wars films a long time ago didn't have it click until he took off the hood and it is your childhood hero standing there in their 1980s glory.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
i think they definitely did the right thing showing his face even though the cgi was less than perfect
I watched that episode with someone that has seen all of the OT but is by no means a "fan" of Star Wars. She likes this show, enjoys all the movies and indulges my fandom. Even after the face reveal she turned to me and asked "Wait...was that supposed to be Luke? It really didn't look like him." So if the face reveal was supposed to be "Fan Service" it was for a very specific type of fan and NOT the kind that is going to come on a Elf Simulator message board and complain about the CGI.

I get into this argument with producers all the time. Which part of the nerd psyche do you want to upset because it doesn't matter what you do, people are going to bitch about why X would have been better than Y.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user