The Mandela Effect

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This isn't a mandela effect thing because I'm the only dumbass that remembers this wrong but i watched The Prestige in theatres and at some point my memory fucked up and swapped Christian Bale and Hugh Jackmans character up. I didn't realize this until I was talking about the movie like a decade after watching it and somebody told me how confused I was. Watching the trailer was a surreal experience because I had good recollection of each scene, but literally swapped the actors in them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Before.png

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's one thing to "collectively misremember" something like the berenstein bears. the way we read is taht as lnog as the frsit and lsat lteter of a wrod are in the rgiht palce, the mildde can be as swecrd up as psosbile and we can sitll raed it fnie. as has been said earlier, we are familiar with jewish names, so our brains just read it super quickly and instead of berenstain, you get berenstein. (or bernstein). on top of that, at one point or another we've all had those books read to us so it just collectively becomes incorrect.

but it is a COMPLETELY different issue that i can, to this very moment, vividly picture the cover art for Shazam. and i guarantee you that it is the EXACT SAME IMAGE that you are all picturing right now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can we please stop shitting on the possible hypothesis that maybe....JUST MAYBE....clown world isn't the only timeline in existence and that maybe.....JUST MAYBE....there is another one where shit could possibly be less fucked up than the timeline we're in now?

I kind of need this shit right now more than ever.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Can we please stop shitting on the possible hypothesis that maybe....JUST MAYBE....clown world isn't the only timeline in existence and that maybe.....JUST MAYBE....there is another one where shit could possibly be less fucked up than the timeline we're in now?

I kind of need this shit right now more than ever.
Clown or alive, you’re coming with me :honkler:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
it's one thing to "collectively misremember" something like the berenstein bears. the way we read is taht as lnog as the frsit and lsat lteter of a wrod are in the rgiht palce, the mildde can be as swecrd up as psosbile and we can sitll raed it fnie. as has been said earlier, we are familiar with jewish names, so our brains just read it super quickly and instead of berenstain, you get berenstein. (or bernstein). on top of that, at one point or another we've all had those books read to us so it just collectively becomes incorrect.

but it is a COMPLETELY different issue that i can, to this very moment, vividly picture the cover art for Shazam. and i guarantee you that it is the EXACT SAME IMAGE that you are all picturing right now.

Add me to the pile of Shazam people.

It's entirely possible we're all getting the movie confused with Shaq's movie Kazaam.

However I grew up knowing Sinbad as "the guy from the genie movie" so this was, again, something I was confused by as an adult when I heard that the movie wasn't a thing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The funny thing is, given how the past couple of years have gone, it wouldnt even surprise me a little to find out that Mandela actually did die in prison and everything he supposedly did after that was faked/body doubles/etc.

I'm not saying theres any reason to believe that currently. I'm saying that given how much of the MSM narrative has turned out to be bullshit it wouldnt even surprise me a little bit if this part was faked too.

So the actual Mandela part - no problem conceiving how that could happen in principle.

The Berenstein Bears part, which was absolutely spelled with an e (don't ever question my autism), thats the hard one. Thats the kind of observation that makes people start coming up with crazy ass multiverse explanations.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The funny thing is, given how the past couple of years have gone, it wouldnt even surprise me a little to find out that Mandela actually did die in prison and everything he supposedly did after that was faked/body doubles/etc.

I'm not saying theres any reason to believe that currently. I'm saying that given how much of the MSM narrative has turned out to be bullshit it wouldnt even surprise me a little bit if this part was faked too.

So the actual Mandela part - no problem conceiving how that could happen in principle.

The Berenstein Bears part, which was absolutely spelled with an e (don't ever question my autism), thats the hard one. Thats the kind of observation that makes people start coming up with crazy ass multiverse explanations.

Berenstein Bears was my first encounter with the Mandela Effect stuff. At some point in the early 2000's or late 90's I saw a Berenstain Bears book and thought it was a typo, then saw a bunch more and wondered why they changed it. I had a bunch of the Berenstein books as a kid, and I know the difference between E and A. The next big encounter was probably the backlash to George W Bush saying Mandela was dead. I was very confused when everyone disagreed with him and I found out he didn't die in prison.

Weird how the Mandela Effect generally consists of both whether a world leader was ever president or not...and a plethora of weird pop culture stuff from media for kids / corporate logos. Like aside from Mandela himself, none of the "changed" stuff is...important at all. There's no real cohesive link between all of it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Berenstein Bears was my first encounter with the Mandela Effect stuff. At some point in the early 2000's or late 90's I saw a Berenstain Bears book and thought it was a typo, then saw a bunch more and wondered why they changed it. I had a bunch of the Berenstein books as a kid, and I know the difference between E and A. The next big encounter was probably the backlash to George W Bush saying Mandela was dead. I was very confused when everyone disagreed with him and I found out he didn't die in prison.

Weird how the Mandela Effect generally consists of both whether a world leader was ever president or not...and a plethora of weird pop culture stuff from media for kids / corporate logos. Like aside from Mandela himself, none of the "changed" stuff is...important at all. There's no real cohesive link between all of it.
there is also a minor mandela effect where when we hear that somebody old has died, then we were shocked because we thought they had died years ago. Wilford Brimley for example. Everyone thought he died in the 90s or early 2000s. that comes from him playing a senior citizen in Cocoon and basically every role after that he played an old man. in reality, Brimley had just turned 50 (or maybe younger) when he filmed his scenes for Cocoon. so everyone assumed he was a much older man and he died a long time ago, because he looked in his 70s in that movie, nobody expected him to live to 2020.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
here's one i ran across months ago. everyone i have ever known talk about this movie, says she had braces. nope.
Jesus Christ! I don't know what to believe in any more!

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Wilford Brimley for example. Everyone thought he died in the 90s or early 2000s. that comes from him playing a senior citizen in Cocoon and basically every role after that he played an old man.

Also, he was the face of diabeetus since ... Well fuck I don't remember since when. Since the before time. It just seemed like he should have been dead way before he died.

d12a3a713112134dd3060e856745334d.jpg

I'll tell ya what's going to be a fun one. In a few years people will get a mandela effect thinking Betty White is still alive. They'll swear they just saw her at an awards show or some shit. In 100 years when Keith Richards is dead, you'll probably still have people swearing he's alive too.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Also, he was the face of diabeetus since ... Well fuck I don't remember since when. Since the before time. It just seemed like he should have been dead way before he died.

d12a3a713112134dd3060e856745334d.jpg

I'll tell ya what's going to be a fun one. In a few years people will get a mandela effect thinking Betty White is still alive. They'll swear they just saw her at an awards show or some shit. In 100 years when Keith Richards is dead, you'll probably still have people swearing he's alive too.
people still see Elvis and still think he looks like he did in the 70s even though he would be 87 now if still alive.
i remember Brimley beetus commercials in the 90s, i dont remember seeing him in movies anymore. so therefore he must have died. keep in mind some companies will run the same old TV ads for years and years. lots of people lose track of celebs and when they are no longer in the public eye, and are old. they think they dropped dead. Jack Nicholson isnt dead, but i bet a lot of people think he is.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw article the other day talking about Doc Severinsen from the Carson show with an interview, he's still alive? Carson been off the air 30 years now. People think someone is dead and then someone pops up and think they are still alive? lol.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
It’s basically like the Eden raid in FF14 where they ask you to remember a boss fight and you get them all mixed up because some had similarities and the boss you battle is a bizzaro version of the boss fight you intended

Like Leviathan ends up as sea dragon + other dragons you fought
It's like the player themselves is remembering it because Rahmu is suddenly a centuar with FF10 Ixion legs in the FF10 Thunder plains.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Found something interesting. One of the main Mandela Effects seems to be that people remember "No Luke, I am your father" when it's just "No, I am your father".

The latter is definitely the case in modern releases of the movie, but now I'm wondering if the original theater run really was what people remember.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

Found something interesting. One of the main Mandela Effects seems to be that people remember "No Luke, I am your father" when it's just "No, I am your father".

The latter is definitely the case in modern releases of the movie, but now I'm wondering if the original theater run really was what people remember.

I think people get it confused with what was said in Tommy Boy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users