The Mandela Effect

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Mandela Effect is what Mist said. It is an example of how our brains use shortcuts to get by and it occasionally fucks up. Simply put, our brains were not made to process so many routes of communication, have so many relationships, or handle so much information. So we use shortcuts/templates to cover the gaps and you sometimes get these memory glitches as a result. Many people making the mistake is not some dimensional cross rip bullshit, its just the same shitty ape brain wiring fucking up the same thing in the same way across a lot of people. There is a reason human memory is the least reliable form of evidence in the (non clown) world.
I think most people agree it’s just faulty brains. What’s odd is so many peoples brains functioning the same way on certain events, like those given in the Mandela effect articles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think most people agree it’s just faulty brains. What’s odd is so many peoples brains functioning the same way on certain events, like those given in the Mandela effect articles.
Lithose has posted this and I cannot recommend it enough. Read up on Human Heuristics. It basically answers a lot about how fucked we are as a species and how certain mass behaviors arise in people.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not odd. It's exactly what Phazael said. It's a large number of people having the same faulty wiring getting triggered in the same way. It can also be contagious, as one person talks about something they misremembered/misbelieved spreads it to another person who now rehearses the memory incorrectly, and passes that on to someone else.

Alice: "Hey, remember that movie where Sinbad was a genie? What was it called?"
Bob: "Shazaam or something?"
Alice: "Yeah, that's gotta be it."

Then suddenly we enter the Wikipedia age where you can verify just about every fact instantly and it comes in conflict with improperly remembered viral facts.

The important thing to remember is Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is not quantum wormhole paradoxes or conspiracies; it's that humans are stupid in predictably, reproducibly stupid ways.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I agree it’s not some weird paradox or parallel universe and just human brains memory being bad. Human brains are insanely efficient and great with many things, and terrible with memory. Just think it’s weird that certain examples are so commonly fucked up. Not weird in a paranormal way, just weird. The collective mass memory phenomenons are weird to me. Even though it has a pretty simple explanation.

Cybsled

It’s basically like the Eden raid in FF14 where they ask you to remember a boss fight and you get them all mixed up because some had similarities and the boss you battle is a bizzaro version of the boss fight you intended

Like Leviathan ends up as sea dragon + other dragons you fought

• 1Like

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
There's no fucking Mandela effect.

It's just people making assumptions about how things are spelled, or being ignorant of world facts, or mixing up TV shows and movies.

The fact that people think this is real is just proof that people have unreliable memories and are easily hypnotized.

I could have swore you were a woman... must be the Mandela Effect.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If that were true I’d imagine there would be a LOT more examples of the Mandela effect than what we have collected so far. Billions of people would misremember tons of events, not like eight.

View attachment 390981

Pretty sure it's in the millions. People were talking about it in the early 2000's before it even had a name, specifically in "didn't Mandela die in the late 80's?" discussions. Always thought it was weird that I got it so wrong when I spend the late 90's and early 2000's studying geography and world politics. In 1999 was probably the only 16 year old on my block who could name every Middle-Eastern country AND tell you who their current leaders were. Yet I knew absolutely nothing about Africa's most influential president in that decade?

It's possible, for sure, but I was mighty confused when this first came up. Found that a lot of other people had the same issue. Then around ten years later Mandela actually died and the issue came to the forefront (as I assume tons of new people were now also confused) and it got dubbed the name it has now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I remember thinking he was already dead when they announced it but just shrugged it off as me not paying attention to political figures, especially overseas. I definitely wasn’t adamant he was, I just remember going “that dude is still alive?” But I do that with a lot of old famous people. I just don’t pay attention enough.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
All you motherfuckers keep putting an extra "e" in the name Bernstein.

Burn Steen

• 1WTF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I remember thinking he was already dead when they announced it but just shrugged it off as me not paying attention to political figures, especially overseas. I definitely wasn’t adamant he was, I just remember going “that dude is still alive?” But I do that with a lot of old famous people. I just don’t pay attention enough.

More or less my experience, except I've also got the sidebar of my mom being friends with his niece. They worked at the same school in the northeast, and they were really upset about what happened to him when I was a kid. I was always afraid of "tuberculosis" after that because it sounded scary and it killed Mandela.

Now, it IS entirely possible that what they were upset about was his incarceration, not his death, and my five year old brain processed it wrong when they talked about him being sick.

Couple things about that though: A) I don't think the SA government let it out that he had tuberculosis in 1988 until years later. Which doesn't necessarily mean I heard about it because he died from it. His niece might have been privy to that info at the time regardless of it being "let out" or not. B) I have literally zero memory of him being president, despite being super interested in world affairs and presidents.

It's possible the whole thing has a logical explanation that comes down to my memory being faulty, but all of this is super, super weird regardless.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
More or less my experience, except I've also got the sidebar of my mom being friends with his niece. They worked at the same school in the northeast, and they were really upset about what happened to him when I was a kid. I was always afraid of "tuberculosis" after that because it sounded scary and it killed Mandela.

Now, it IS entirely possible that what they were upset about was his incarceration, not his death, and my five year old brain processed it wrong when they talked about him being sick.

Couple things about that though: A) I don't think the SA government let it out that he had tuberculosis in 1988 until years later. Which doesn't necessarily mean I heard about it because he died from it. His niece might have been privy to that info at the time regardless of it being "let out" or not. B) I have literally zero memory of him being president, despite being super interested in world affairs and presidents.

It's possible the whole thing has a logical explanation that comes down to my memory being faulty, but all of this is super, super weird regardless.
pineapple express smoking GIF

stoned homer simpson GIF

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
According to a few SA friends, SA is such a shithole now because of mandela, so it's fitting to name some brain defects as mandela effect.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
He was graduation speaker at the "historically black" college, only reason I had heard the name in the last 20 years.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
our wonderful 80s musicians were so helpful when they wrote their Sun City song promoting freedom in SA. i bet everyone wabts to thank them for that.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I swear to god, I have watched the movie Shazaam, starring Sinbad. No one can tell me otherwise.
Wow I didn't realize this was a Mandela effect thing until reading this, because that movie is fucking real.

• 1Solidarity

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Wow I didn't realize this was a Mandela effect thing until reading this, because that movie is fucking real.

it is real. People are trying to gaslight us for some reason. I guess for fun. They picked this one because it's a forgettable movie.

Either that or someone brought back a VHS tape from the alternate timeline.

yes I know this is one college humour did. Doesn't change the fact that the movie was real.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sinbad is barely a celebrity and he did very few movies. why would anyone think in his few movie credits there is a genie movie?

• 1Pathetic

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

Damn, I love sinbad even if he's trying to gaslight us right now.