The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think that's what make the characters so relatable, their ability to completely fuck themselves over due to their choices based on emotion or desire. As well as many of them reminding me of characters from my only family.

I realized the other day that I never really laugh at anything Midge does, it's always the side characters that keep me entertained as well as the time period. She does do a good job acting as a spoiled, ignorant woman. The woke shit doesn't help.
I think she does a great job during the stand-up routines.i would legit pay to see those shows. It's not just the writing they did, her comedic timing and presentation is great.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My wife and I blew through the whole series over the last few weeks. I had absolutely zero interest in watching it, although people have been telling me for years that it's good. My wife and I alternate picking shows to watch, and this was her pick so I had no choice. I'm glad she did, because I ended up really enjoying it.

A few thoughts:

- Susie really steals the show for me. The actress is amazing. She does a fantastic job bouncing between drama and comedy.
- That said, Lenny is my favorite character overall. The actor is fan-fucking-tastic. It's almost eerie comparing his performance to videos of the real Lenny Bruce. He's used in the show just the perfect amount; he shows up when appropriate, and is gone before he wears out his welcome.
- If you've ever watched Gilmore Girls, you can really see the similarities and, I assume, limitations of the creator of both shows. Midge is basically Lorelai Gilmore. The witty, fast-talking conversations get old quickly.
- The magician and his whole storyline is dumb. Obviously the show is fiction, but it's always been based in the real world. Then this magician pops up who is literally doing magic, as in Harry Potter style magic. What the fuck is that?
- I'm torn on the development of the side characters. Joel and Rose have both been developed really well in believable ways. Both were unlikeable at the start (especially Joel) without much depth (especially Rose), but they've both been turned into deep, more likeable characters. On the other hand, Abe went from a brilliant-yet-socially-awkward professor to a cartoon of a man who runs away from old women and is confused by a communion wafer. I got a chuckle out of the whole thing, but it's really ridiculous to think that the Abe from season 1 would be wondering and worrying so much about a communion wafer.
- Midge is a little too perfect. Again, it gets a bit annoying. I understand she's supposed to be a great comic, but by season 3 and 4 she can apparently just get in front of any audience at any moment and deliver an off-the-cuff hilarious routine. The few times she's shown as not succeeding on stage in season 3 and 4, it's not because her comedy is bad, but because it's too good (e.g., making Jackie Kennedy cry, outing Shy Baldwin). She'd be a much more believable, developed, and less annoying character if there were a bit more focus on her struggles with the actual comedy. I just don't think Palladino can write characters like that, though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just watched all of this as well. Really enjoyable show. Joel was definitely very insufferable through 99.9% of the show. The end of the final season made him more tolerable. Abe was just such an odd character I really didnt understand it. And he definitely got worse as the show went on. I wouldnt say its a must watch but it was a pleasant surprise.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
It'd be a lot better if they hadn't turned nearly the entire cast into cartoon version of themselves. I love Susie's character, but that scene in the restaurant with Rose where she acts like a literal fucking child was unbearably cringey.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
It'd be a lot better if they hadn't turned nearly the entire cast into cartoon version of themselves. I love Susie's character, but that scene in the restaurant with Rose where she acts like a literal fucking child was unbearably cringey.
Yeah, they're all retarded as fuck by the end of the last season. First couple of seasons were very solid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Wow I swore season 4 was the last one. Gives me something to watch now for a couple days.

• 1Like

elbas

Molten Core Raider
I wish we got more flashes of her tiddies. They were pretty amazing in S1.

Lucky for you, they're already working on a spinoff show: "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel's Marvelous Tiddies". It takes place over the summer at a Jewish nudist resort in the Catskills. The good news is that she's nude for the whole thing. The bad news is that so are all the other characters.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Xevy

Log Wizard
I wish we got more flashes of her tiddies. They were pretty amazing in S1.
Not going to lie I paused that scene for like 60 seconds to see if they were real or some prosthetics like Leslie Mann had in a few movies. They just seemed a little 'off' to me.

My determination was that they were most likely indeed real, but I'm not 100% sold and I couldn't find her addressing it in any interviews which makes me think they weren't.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not going to lie I paused that scene for like 60 seconds to see if they were real or some prosthetics like Leslie Mann had in a few movies. They just seemed a little 'off' to me.

My determination was that they were most likely indeed real, but I'm not 100% sold and I couldn't find her addressing it in any interviews which makes me think they weren't.
I remember her getting naked in S1 of House of Cards and she was super fine there too.

Animosity

First 3 episodes of season 5 are out. Lame they are doing weekly releases for this and not all at once.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Let me know when this little Jew shows her tits again. Fucking show traps you early on.