The Matrix (1999)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the end is great too. when i see neo flying so fast to save trinity, he creates a swirling vortex of destruction behind him it cracks me up to no end. and the wtf at the very end when he blasts shit outside the matrix. come on, that stuff you gotta love too.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I know a guy who went to the cinema to see Matrix3, not having seen Matrix2. He had seen the original Matrix but skipped Matrix2, was talked into seeing Matrix3 on short notice or something.

So not surprisingly he was confused as all fuck - ended up having to ask me a whole bunch of questions.

Thinking about it, 2 and 3 sort of work together as a 2 part sequel, a whole bunch of new characters, locations and Matrix 'issues' kick off in Matrix2 and are carried through and resolved (varying levels of success) in Matrix3.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
They were a 2 part sequel. 2+3 were filmed in the same fashion as LoTR, i.e. at the same time, then spread over a years time.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I liked the second movie but the third had to do too much with Zion. I didn't care for any of the Zion stuff at all like most people.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Watching Reloaded right now since its on TV... Can't believe how bad this is. Like many here, I haven't watched it since seeng it years ago. I'm only up to the Smith scene and about to turn it off, but everything up to this point has been laughably bad. I really can't believe I thought this movie was remotely decent. Dialogue in every single scene is just so over the top forced or pointless, and scenes just jump from one to the next poorly, where it almost feels like I'm watching a movie made for Sci-Fy. The worst really is the Zion shit. The sets just all look so fake, and every single bit of dialogue spoken in Zion gives the feeling that the actors just don't give a shit.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hated part 2 every time I saw it until I saw part 3. Part 3 was good enough of a movie to watch and enjoy multiple times. Yet oddly enough it wouldn't have worked without part 2, making part 2 better in return.

Brad2770

I do not understand why most of you guys take movie franchises and break them down into which ones are good movies and which ones are bad. I like to look at them as a whole. Usually if the first entertained me, I know the sequel(s) to follow will be just as entertaining. Once the franchise is finish, I enjoy them as a whole, much like you would a TV series. There is always going to be weak points, but trilogies much like this make for great lazy Saturdays. I was never disappointed in The Matrix. I really enjoy sci-fi like this.

fucker_sl

shitlord
because matrix 2 and 3 should have never existed. When the whichoski say they had planned a trilogy from the beginning they are flat out lieng

Matrix was a stand alone movie. The other 2 were made just to cash ???, and both the storytelling and dialogues quality show it

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Two wasn't so terrible, but three ended up ruining it. Two seemed like they were on the road to an Asimov paradox--as in, what would a perfectly logical machine do, when given an order to protect humans but then seeing the greatest threat to human life, is other humans. And also maybe attempt to explain how man could have created "God" and why god would be flawed, even if all powerful.

The reason it looked like there were undertones of this in two was because there was a small scene in Zion, where a council member comes out and Neo is talking about how they need to destroy all machines (Ect) and the council member says "Oh? What about the machines that clean our garbage, or process our water--we'd die without them." And Neo says "We can destroy them if we want, we're in control." And the council member just shakes his head and admonishes him for associating destruction with control/reality (Typical human behavior). You almost had the sense like the council was actually made up of machines, who were trying to "teach" Neo about how fragile humans are and how machines are protecting them. Later, when Neo destroyed that machine in the real world, it seemed to reaffirm that Neo was, indeed in another level of the Matrix.

I thought three was going to reveal that the sky was blackened by mankind actually warring with itself. And at the last moment, when man was dying, the machines rose up, disarmed us and put us into the matrix. Within the matrix, we could have our violence and competition but they could ensure we would live--when someone dies in the matrix, they are simply "reset" with a new life (Hence some people feeling like they had past lives, or why some people die young--they actually had an old body in the real world from being reset.)...When the machines realized some humans wouldn't accept this, they created "The One" algorithm to collect all the dissidents, and being the loyal servants they are, made themselves the bad guys in a deeper level of the Matrix, allowing the humans to come together and focus their hate on their loyal machines, rather than each other.

At the end of the movie, we'd see Neo start to understand this, and realize the machines, while in control of everything and virtually omnipotent, have only ever cared about protecting humanity (And Humanities free will, allowing it to exist in a way that doesn't end humanity). This would effectively make the machines God and explain the conundrum of a benevolent God, allowing horrible things to happen, because God was created by man, for man. Neo then decided to become new Jesus, an entity given up by God to "open heaven", by Neo dying it cleans up all that "choice" code that was corrupt, and everyone can return to the Matrix--which is really man's "heaven", a place where he can be violent and safe at the same time.

But then they released three and were like...All that foreshadowing, what? lol, no Neo is just like a super hero with machine telepathy, bro. And the humans don't win or lose, instead they just kind of languish in the most unsatisfying ending we could think of.

fucker_sl

shitlord
i had your same questions when i watched reloaded, Lit. I did not like Reloaded "feeling" it was different from matrix 1. The general quality of dialogues and scene was much lower. And specially the fighting scenes lost their meaning. In matrix 1 fights were there to push the story ahead, not to fill time. In reloaded some of them were pretty senseless (like the fight with the japan guy. did it really had any meaning in the story appart some link with a videogame no one played?). Or the whole armed fight in the palace

even the Smith fight, the only one that had a real meaning in the story (to enstablish how Smith has become a computer virus) was overdone

but i did not care about ithem. I let them slip because Reloaded managed to do something i really wasnt expecting: it suprised me when i was sure nothing in the story could suprise me like Matrix 1. Instead....the idea that even Zion was just another virtual reality never accured to me. i was positive impressed even with the many fault the movie had

then....Revolution came and the whole illusion was destroyed with a movie that call stupid and boring is being polite

so, fuck both movies

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i thought i was watching dragonball z during smith vs neo fight, in the 3rd movie lol

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just turned on Part 2 on the scene where they are in the Merovingian mansion and Neo fights all the henchmen. From that point on it as a totally badass 30-40 minute action movie. I think that's the right way to watch it.

spronk

FPS noob
I thought three was going to reveal that the sky was blackened by mankind actually warring with itself. And at the last moment, when man was dying, the machines rose up, disarmed us and put us into the matrix. Within the matrix, we could have our violence and competition but they could ensure we would live--when someone dies in the matrix, they are simply "reset" with a new life (Hence some people feeling like they had past lives, or why some people die young--they actually had an old body in the real world from being reset.)...When the machines realized some humans wouldn't accept this, they created "The One" algorithm to collect all the dissidents, and being the loyal servants they are, made themselves the bad guys in a deeper level of the Matrix, allowing the humans to come together and focus their hate on their loyal machines, rather than each other.
damn it makes me sad to think coulda had a kickass matrix 3 that followed that storyline, woulda been so awesome instead of that ridiculous colonel sanders Architect scene

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, Lithose's idea of how 3 should have unfolded is way better than what actually happened.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Two wasn't so terrible, but three ended up ruining it. Two seemed like they were on the road to an Asimov paradox--as in, what would a perfectly logical machine do, when given an order to protect humans but then seeing the greatest threat to human life, is other humans. And also maybe attempt to explain how man could have created "God" and why god would be flawed, even if all powerful.

The reason it looked like there were undertones of this in two was because there was a small scene in Zion, where a council member comes out and Neo is talking about how they need to destroy all machines (Ect) and the council member says "Oh? What about the machines that clean our garbage, or process our water--we'd die without them." And Neo says "We can destroy them if we want, we're in control." And the council member just shakes his head and admonishes him for associating destruction with control/reality (Typical human behavior). You almost had the sense like the council was actually made up of machines, who were trying to "teach" Neo about how fragile humans are and how machines are protecting them. Later, when Neo destroyed that machine in the real world, it seemed to reaffirm that Neo was, indeed in another level of the Matrix.

At the end of the movie, we'd see Neo start to understand this, and realize the machines, while in control of everything and virtually omnipotent, have only ever cared about protecting humanity (And Humanities free will, allowing it to exist in a way that doesn't end humanity). This would effectively make the machines God and explain the conundrum of a benevolent God, allowing horrible things to happen, because God was created by man, for man. Neo then decided to become new Jesus, an entity given up by God to "open heaven", by Neo dying it cleans up all that "choice" code that was corrupt, and everyone can return to the Matrix--which is really man's "heaven", a place where he can be violent and safe at the same time.

But then they released three and were like...All that foreshadowing, what? lol, no Neo is just like a super hero with machine telepathy, bro. And the humans don't win or lose, instead they just kind of languish in the most unsatisfying ending we could think of.
Bq9JnLG.jpg

Bq9JnLG.jpg

Bq9JnLG.jpg

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider

Should kickstarter a Lithose Matrix script for Matrix 2 and 3 "How is should have been". I'd would make one change on the ending. I would leave it open ended instead of showing which path NEO decides to take. does he "free" humanity allowing us to grow in the "real" world, travel to the stars, and continue to explore and war? Or does he choose "heaven" where we are free to be violent and safe but unable to advance. This would have been the actual choice the machines created NEO for.

Possibly even the multiple factions of machines are subsets of their own division of this decision.
Humanity should be protected and safe by being in the Matrix with us as their evil or Humanity is to greatly harmed by being kept in the Matrix.