The Matrix (1999)

fucker_sl

shitlord
After watching two most of us were willing to forgive a lot of it because we were theorycrafting so hard about Zion just being another level of the Matrix designed to catch people who rejected the first one.
basically this

the moment Revolutions showed how fucking senseless the whole thing was, Reloaded lost its "benefit of doubt" credits

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
basically this

the moment Revolutions showed how fucking senseless the whole thing was, Reloaded lost its "benefit of doubt" credits

Can we all agree that the best ending to the trilogy is that once Neo used his electric power in the "real world" that he suddenly realized that the machines had them wake up inside another matrix so that the human mind would think that it was fighting the good fight while all it was really doing was imagining it? That was my guess the whole time and would have been inception years before inception.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The never leave the matrix, or matrix within a matrix idea was too perfect. I would have still preferred it to end up that way but everyone in the world would have seen it coming.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Why was there even a need from the Matrix? We can induce comas in humans for as long as we need to and they won't wake up, why didn't the machines just do something like that? Why bother with it?

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why was there even a need from the Matrix? We can induce comas in humans for as long as we need to and they won't wake up, why didn't the machines just do something like that? Why bother with it?
Because they aren't evil. The Matrix allows people to live their lives, even if it's only imaginary. A coma would not. The machines claim to take the high road by protecting us from ourselves and keeping control of us.

Also, what Trollface said.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
The matrix sequels were probably the largest wastes of potential movie making of the last decade. The first matrix set up near limitless possibilities for what kind of action and story elements could be introduced. And yet the things we get are flat and uninteresting.
Major issues with the sequels:

Neo stops growing. The whole reason the matrix had the impact it did is because we get to watch Neo go from a white collar office slave, to a near fetal cancer patient, to a kung fu masta, to "the one". The next two movies... he's just the one and his character gains no more depth, and his "oneness" is not explored further or expanded upon.

Massive plot holes. The whole machines attacking Zion thing was weak. If Zion had EMP technology on all of their ships... why do they resort to gangly machine-gun mechs for base defense. Zion should have been nearly untouchable for the machines not because it was underground (if Zion's ships can get into zion, why do the machines have to dig?) but because the zionites could fry every machine sent their way as long as the emp system was operational.

This could open up a plot arch where the machines start developing bio-mechanical drones and robots (using recycled human tissue) to attack that are impervious to emp effects. Or infiltrating zion using people that had been recently freed (children) who were pre-programmed to sabotage various systems. (If the resistance can load skill programs, why can't the machines?)

Agent smith's multiplicative re-appearance was cool, but obviously too much for the W. brothers to handle, as the final action scene was the worst, most anti climactic showdown in cinema history. Honestly smith was a huge problem in the sequels. It created a second hostile faction to the resistance and the machines, and turned the whole thing into a three way fight that was almost impossible to build up to coherently. Ultimately he becomes the only threat and the humans and machines live happily ever after? (wtf)

HISHE(How it should have ended)

If agent smith did come back, it should have been as an upgraded AI, but still with some of his inherent weaknesses (like his fear of smell or self preservation) that Morpheus could capitalize on at the crucial moment due to their conversation in the first movie.

Smith's defeat
Ultimately I thought it would have been cool if they had managed to lure the smith program into a trap of sorts that locked him in a sealed system. This could be represented visually by Neo and smith, or Morpheus and smith fighting in what appears to be the matrix. Turns out at some point it was switched out for an elaborate construct program. Once smith is in, the lights start to go out everywhere (The program is being shut down). Then morpheus or neo walks out through a door into bright light while smith is left in a pitch black room and we look back at him reach his hand out, as the door closes.

Oracle
The oracle should have been played by a child. She is a self renewing program, and hinted at reincarnation in the first movie. This would have been a lot easier to transition to and given a nice counter point to whatever possessed child the machines use to help attack Zion.

Architect
The architect should have been a real human that was hooked up to the matrix mainframe. He was there to help design and create a human world that humans would accept. The machines had difficulty writing a program themselves, so they needed human input. The resistance forces infiltrating the machine city/world should come across the architect's hooked up body/pod at the same time neo finds the architect in the matrix. The architect in the matrix looks stately and almost regal, the one in the real world is a withered drooling body whose eyes are covered by some headgear. The real world architect has gone insane, but is kept alive through advanced life support. He his plugged into the matrix AND conscious of his real world surroundings simultaneously. Then you wind up with a split conversation between the resistance, the architect and neo. They ask him questions, but he sometimes switches the answers, leaving the characters slightly in the dark but the audience informed.

Climax
The machines make their move, the pre-programmed children kill the guards to Zion's mainframe. Hack in and start shutting down systems. The machines launch an attack at this moment and breach the perimeter. Now you can have some sort of desperate claustrophobic battle in the hallways and tunnels of zion as people try to stay alive. Meanwhile the resistance is trying hard to crack the machine mainframe to shutdown the machines abilities to communicate before it's too late. Everything looks grim, but Neo manages to plug in to the mainframe and navigate their self defense programs (represented by some really crazy fight sequences of course) to shut it down, and cause the machines to turn on each other.

Last Ditch twist
Finally... with the machines inevitable defeat looming... the system tries to pull the plug on the millions or billions of people in the matrix(effectively killing them) as a last ditch fuck you. The architect however, is able to overpower the mainframe with neo's help, expends the last of his energy to quickly stabilize the system and remove the agent programs and finally shuts down his own life support systems and passes away, finally able to rest.

Closing
Humanity begins the slow process of reclaiming the earth. Final scene is neo in the matrix scouting for more potentials and people ready to be unplugged to help with the reconstruction.

Neo's Growth
Neo should have been exploring his abilities as the one, and been getting better at manipulating the world of the matrix as time goes on. He could be the one to write the elaborate construct program that fools smith. Also he should struggle with the mantle of leadership people wish to place upon his shoulders. Eventually he should step up and be that leader when they him, but then relinquish control after the battle is won.

Other Characters involvement in the finale
And maybe to add an extra element, it turns out there are seven mainframe facilities that need to be hacked simultaneously. So you wind up with every ship that zion has zipping out to these locations with resistance forces in order to pull off some sort of synchronized meditation hacker drum circle bullshit to shut down all of the systems and backups simultaneously with neo leading the way. This could have the original cast split up with trinity captaining her own ship. (the one that neo is on of course.)

So yeah, it's way too late for any of that now... and maybe all of these ideas are rather cliched ... but I think it would have made for a much better story than the bullshit we got.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Because they aren't evil. The Matrix allows people to live their lives, even if it's only imaginary. A coma would not. The machines claim to take the high road by protecting us from ourselves and keeping control of us.

Also, what Trollface said.
Yep, turning humanity into slaves and killing anyone who questiones it isn't evil at all.
rolleyes.png

Chris

Potato del Grande
After watching two most of us were willing to forgive a lot of it because we were theorycrafting so hard about Zion just being another level of the Matrix designed to catch people who rejected the first one.[/URL]
Yeah me too, it all foreshadowed that and then... nothing.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
No more evil than humans keeping animals at a zoo or farm.
Sure didn't take long for your shallow philosophizing to strike it's max depth. (Hint: If humans are no more valuable than animals, then the entire explanation is void, I'll leave you to figure out why.)

As for the rest, this was one of the reasons I was hoping there was a "deeper" Matrix, where the reason behind the Matrix would become clear...Because as anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of physics should understand harnessing energy from a human being would be a net negative in energy--meaning the energy spent to feed the humans (Even if it's recycled humans) would be greater than what you got from the humans. The reason why this doesn't matter in the "real world" is because the sun creates a fuckingHUGEamount of energy--so even losing energy going up the chain doesn't matter because we have agiganticsurplus from the sun.

So, yes--there is no "selfish" reason to keep us conscious or even alive. The only reason to keep humans existing is a desire to see them alive. Which is why the whole hinting behind machines being helpful to humans was exciting, because it would have closed one of the biggest "holes" in the matrix. But again, 3 was made and we were left with dick.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If Zion had EMP technology on all of their ships... why do they resort to gangly machine-gun mechs for base defense?
If Zion's ships can get into zion, why do the machines have to dig?
he is not alone on these 2.

chilansl

Molten Core Raider
Sure didn't take long for your shallow philosophizing to strike it's max depth. (Hint: If humans are no more valuable than animals, then the entire explanation is void, I'll leave you to figure out why.)

As for the rest, this was one of the reasons I was hoping there was a "deeper" Matrix, where the reason behind the Matrix would become clear...Because as anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of physics should understand harnessing energy from a human being would be a net negative in energy--meaning the energy spent to feed the humans (Even if it's recycled humans) would be greater than what you got from the humans. The reason why this doesn't matter in the "real world" is because the sun creates a fuckingHUGEamount of energy--so even losing energy going up the chain doesn't matter because we have agiganticsurplus from the sun.

So, yes--there is no "selfish" reason to keep us conscious or even alive. The only reason to keep humans existing is a desire to see them alive. Which is why the whole hinting behind machines being helpful to humans was exciting, because it would have closed one of the biggest "holes" in the matrix. But again, 3 was made and we were left with dick.
New crazy theory! Well, new to me. Humans are kept alive because the machines need a source of bad decisions to give them purpose, direction, and a sense of superiority. They tried it with humans disconnected as a test and almost self-destructed.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
There is no good reason given in the movies as to why the machines use people for energy. There are plenty of other power generation technologies that do not require sunlight. I think this would have been an excellent point to address and might serve as a reason to explore the origins of the conflict, or the true nature of the machine Zion relationship.

What we got however, was an implication to that the machines get bored and like setting up free human colonies in order to give them something to hunt. Zion is basically a nature preserve for the machines to go on safari in. I mean why the fuck else would they keep letting people get a toe hold in the real world if the didn't enjoy wiping them out.

Anyways, the first movie was fine because it left all of these things unsaid and up to the imagination of the viewer. The sequels take a massive dump on your face and tell you to deal with it.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
In an earlier draft of the story the machines used the minds of humans for computer storage. It was changed to power under the assumption the audience would understand that better. I just mentally substitute power for storage whenever I watch the films.

I have few kind words for the second film and zero for the third but when I sit back and look at the series as a whole it just doesn't have a satisfying conclusion. The Earth is still completely and utterly fucked. The machines still depend on humans for processing power and storage capacity. Eradicating Agent Smith and establishing a cease fire is fine but we need the sun. We need the skies fixed. It could have even been a major plot point. Rather than have the machines' doomsday plan be to destroy Zion it could have been to finally fix the skies so they could go back to solar power and just turn the Matrix off. Doing so would kill every single human being still plugged in. The leadership of Zion orders a mission to stop that from happening but the Oracle says it must happen for there to be peace or something and Neo is stuck in the middle. The Architect can lecture him about how the only reason his pathetic little species isn't extinct is because of the machines and if they stopped the Matrix and stopped supporting Zion (DUN DUN DUUUNNNNN) humanity would eventually die out.

I'm not a writer, I don't know. But something with the sun. Something where the sun comes back.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The whole power thing never made sense to me, I mean yeah, humans blocked the sun, hello spaceships and hello infinite sun power. if machines can build other machines, surely they can buld a rocker, right? Why the fuck would you stay on this stupid rock if you could harness the entire galaxies power.

And lets say they cant build rockets, fuck, cant make fuel or something, why not use geothermal. Probably like another few billion years of that shit left at the core of our planet. Seems like alot more work to convert us into power rather than just using that.