The Metal Thread

xzi

Mouthbreather
Came here to link that^ haha
I'm a giant fan of Behemoth, and I like almost all of their music videos they've done. I mean they're still the typical *oo so dark*, but at least they're artistic and have some sort of followable stories, as opposed to most metal music videos. I got a soft spot for 'em

That said, definitely feeling some Triptykon today. That bass is extra fucking delicious

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So question for the more knowledgeable folks out there:

I listen to various forms of metal daily, from death to symphonic to doom to... well, anything but bands that do the screechy black metal stuff for every song. I've been a huge fan of bands like The Ocean, Katatonia, and earlier Opeth because of the mix of clean vocals and growls. Any suggestions for other bands of a similar nature? I'm not super hung up on the bands being overly technical (Animals as Leaders is good stuff, but kind of exhausting to listen to at times. Meshuggah has a similar effect in large doses) but I do like some decent skills in the musicians.

Also, the new Slayer sounds... different. Not really bad, but definitely not the same. The drummer is trying super hard to sound like Lombardo, but you can definitely tell Hanneman isn't there. And Araya's voice seems better than it was on the last album, so I have no idea wtf is going on there. Still worth a listen, though.

Suds_sl

shitlord
1986: riding into Vancouver on the bus -- 17 hours from Calgary. Walls of Jericho is playing through my headset from a Walkman cassette player in my pocket.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider

If you enjoy Caladan Brood along the same lines.
I'm really liking this album but its not Caladan Brood. Try Agalloch. In fact, if I didn't know any better and hadn't seen the name of the band, hell I'd think I was listening to a new Agalloch album. Not that that is bad really.

Astennu

Lord Nagafen Raider
So question for the more knowledgeable folks out there:

I listen to various forms of metal daily, from death to symphonic to doom to... well, anything but bands that do the screechy black metal stuff for every song. I've been a huge fan of bands like The Ocean, Katatonia, and earlier Opeth because of the mix of clean vocals and growls. Any suggestions for other bands of a similar nature? I'm not super hung up on the bands being overly technical (Animals as Leaders is good stuff, but kind of exhausting to listen to at times. Meshuggah has a similar effect in large doses) but I do like some decent skills in the musicians.

Also, the new Slayer sounds... different. Not really bad, but definitely not the same. The drummer is trying super hard to sound like Lombardo, but you can definitely tell Hanneman isn't there. And Araya's voice seems better than it was on the last album, so I have no idea wtf is going on there. Still worth a listen, though.
Check out stuff by Dan Swano. Some of the stuff he's done/is doing should be up your alley. My two favorites of his are Edge of Sanity (of course) and I really like his new band Witherscape (I'm sure Vorph mentioned them somewhere earlier in the thread).

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
Opeth announces two U.S. 25th anniversary shows; playing Ghost Reveries in full

October 22nd @ Beacon Theater, NYC
October 24th @ Orpheum Theater, LA

GWAR anounces 30th anniversary tour with Battlecross, Butcher Babies

Aug. 25 - Millvale, PA - Mr. Smalls Theater
Aug. 27 - Des Moines, IA - Wooly's
Aug. 28 - Lincoln, NE - Bourbon Theater
Aug. 30 - Lawrence, KS - Granada
Aug. 31 - Tulsa, OK - Cain's Ballroom
Sep. 01 - San Antonio, TX - Kapones
Sep. 02 - Baton Rouge, LA - Varsity Theater
Sep. 03 - Mobile, AL - Soul Kitchen
Sep. 04 - Birmingham, AL - Iron City
Sep. 05 - New Albany, IN - Rustic Frog - Befuddled Fest
Sep. 06 - Winston-Salem, NC - Ziggys
Sep. 08 - Wilmington, NC - Ziggys By the Sea
Sep. 09 - Jacksonville, FL - Freebird Live
Sep. 10 - Chattanooga, TN - Track 29
Sep. 11 - Sauget, IL - Pop's
Sep. 14 - Poughkeepsie, NY - The Chance
Sep. 15 - So. Burlington, VT - Higher Ground
Sep. 16 - Reading, PA - Reverb
Sep. 17 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount
Sep. 18 - Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Check out stuff by Dan Swano. Some of the stuff he's done/is doing should be up your alley. My two favorites of his are Edge of Sanity (of course) and I really like his new band Witherscape (I'm sure Vorph mentioned them somewhere earlier in the thread).

I didn't know about Witherscape, but Crimon by Edge of Sanity is one of my favorite concept albums ever. Checking out Witherscape now!

Bergraven_sl

shitlord
Opeth announces two U.S. 25th anniversary shows; playing Ghost Reveries in full

October 22nd @ Beacon Theater, NYC
October 24th @ Orpheum Theater, LA

GWAR anounces 30th anniversary tour with Battlecross, Butcher Babies

Aug. 25 - Millvale, PA - Mr. Smalls Theater
Aug. 27 - Des Moines, IA - Wooly's
Aug. 28 - Lincoln, NE - Bourbon Theater
Aug. 30 - Lawrence, KS - Granada
Aug. 31 - Tulsa, OK - Cain's Ballroom
Sep. 01 - San Antonio, TX - Kapones
Sep. 02 - Baton Rouge, LA - Varsity Theater
Sep. 03 - Mobile, AL - Soul Kitchen
Sep. 04 - Birmingham, AL - Iron City
Sep. 05 - New Albany, IN - Rustic Frog - Befuddled Fest
Sep. 06 - Winston-Salem, NC - Ziggys
Sep. 08 - Wilmington, NC - Ziggys By the Sea
Sep. 09 - Jacksonville, FL - Freebird Live
Sep. 10 - Chattanooga, TN - Track 29
Sep. 11 - Sauget, IL - Pop's
Sep. 14 - Poughkeepsie, NY - The Chance
Sep. 15 - So. Burlington, VT - Higher Ground
Sep. 16 - Reading, PA - Reverb
Sep. 17 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount
Sep. 18 - Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall
Argh, I missed the big red text that said the 2nd set of dates were for GWAR and got super excited Opeth was coming to town, lol. Never really got into GWAR. Wonder who'll be filling in for Dave. He was the driving force behind the band and without him, I doubt they would've had the success they've had. Butcher Babies? ugh, what a terrible band. Battlecross are pretty good though.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
The person replacing Dave is one of the guys who used to be Beefcake. Different character and everything, not him in Oderus' outfit.