The Metal Thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Saw these guys opening for The Sword. They were great, looked them up after the concert and happily surprised that their studio stuff is great too.

One of my favorites.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know they have. When I read the headline I thought there was a chance.. nope. Heritage was absolute horse shit.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
There was a stretch there where Mike sounded really shitty live on the low stuff. I almost wonder if he just lost it, or maybe he stopped caring about it so didn't keep it going.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know they have. When I read the headline I thought there was a chance.. nope. Heritage was absolute horse shit.
Not because of a lack of growls. Heritage was shit because it was poorly written.

Anyone who thinks Opeth's music needs growls in order to be good is a fucking retard.

Disp_sl

shitlord
It's been that way for a while. Opeth is basically a prog band now. The woman and I went to see them live last year and every lyric was sung clean.
Really? I saw them on their tour last year too and there was plenty of growling and death metal vocals.

Heritage had a few good songs. Folklore is awesome.
^ Ehh I couldn't get into Heritage at all. It was a like prog rock album better left in the 70's, and I love their Pink Floyd-esque stuff from earlier albums like Blackwater Park and Hearse. Heritage just didn't compare to that stuff.

Anyway, I'm researching the gold mine that is YouTube for old-school metal stuff I've never heard. I vaguely remember people referencing Cryptic Slaughter back in the 90's, and I guess I missed out because this shit is badass. A mix between thrash and hardcore and sloppy as fuck delivery on every instrument but somehow that makes it better. Also the vocals are superb. If you like DRI, MOD, SOD, The Accused, and other crossover-ish stuff you might like it.

Also it doesn't hurt that Napalm Death covered one of their tracks. All the comments and reviews say that the 2nd album is better, but I kinda like the first one better.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
My life is complete boys. Saw my Wakandans Black Sabbath last night. $150 floor seats well worth it!

Killswitch

N00b
Cryptic Slaughter was awesome and one of my favorite bands back then. One of the bands that wasnt so popular that I thought was good was Hallows Eve. They even had a song in the movie Rivers Edge.

Loved Kreator !!

Then I remembered I picked up Hellhammer album at the imports section at a local record store early ass 80's. This album scared the shit out of me!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not because of a lack of growls. Heritage was shit because it was poorly written.

Anyone who thinks Opeth's music needs growls in order to be good is a fucking retard.
I don't think that they need growls in order to be good, and I like a lot of songs that are sung all clean, but diversity was always their strong point. Taking away that aspect is taking away part of what made them so unique.

Heritage was garbage and a slap in the face.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If it's anything like that Dio medley they made, they can go fuck themselves.