The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot (f2p MMO)

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They could sell tapestry for your dungeon or skins and meshes the sims style and such, but alas its ubisoft im quite certain its ending up p2w.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Really wish we could just have a regular update to Dungeon Keeper. There's a facebook game (Overlord?) that is pretty addictive early on and would be even better if the limitations on dungeon size (without spending cash) weren't so restrictive.
War for the Overworldis pretty much DK3. It is very, very rough right now, but it is about the closest we're going to ever get I believe. Supposedly EA even gave them their blessing (along with a list of things they couldn't do of course, but still).

Zx88_sl

shitlord
I like how they charge people for beta. Don't even make any bones about making people pay to test their game..... looks fun though.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Friend got in and tested a bit. There's serious imbalance right now. The "right" way is to use massive amounts of slow traps and decoy corridors: if you can't make it to the treasure room in time, you lose. At higher levels there might be counters to this strategy, but lower levels is hell: you spam castles until you find one that is possible to finish, and then farm it.

There's also a few tricks to make massive groups of mobs beyond the normal density limits (they're considered to be part of 2 or 3 different areas, but they all aggro on you at the same time), and you die. Which slows you down. Which makes you lose.

(there might be some kind of rock-scissor-paper dynamic so that a castle that is deadly to one class is breezed thru by another, but he didn't see it so far)

Raes

Vyemm Raider
As always, this is why we can't have nice things.

Seems the primary problem is having it be time based, which is lame anyway. Should just give you a limited amount of lives per run or something.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm having fun but not enough to actually pay real money for anything. Seems like a great game for a kid

Caliane

yeah. its just about as expected.

its 1 part travian, with resource building for your keep. gold mine, gem mine. which generate resources X/hour. and you have to log in and collect periodically. (these are like 9 hour intervals from the start atm. not the 5min, 20min, 5 hour, etc of standard browser game.)
Upgrades, and buildings however are more like that. start at 5min, but then quickly scale up to 30min per upgrade. etc.
Room layouts look good. trap and monster upgrades etc good.

1 part diablo. theres probably a better comparison for the seige a keep. I'm not coming up with a name for what the combat actually reminds me of. but the loot is random, and diablo-esque.

1 part dungeon keeper with actually building your keep.

The main problem is as originally noted. impossible to balance.
time is the main factor here so far. early game. monsters and keep size are tiny, and player will easily overpower them. upgrading to get more rooms and monsters asap will help.
And then, monsters aren't very strong. its all about killing the clock.

when you are seiged, you loose 20% of your gold/gems in storage. but then are shielded from loosing more for 12 hours, after.
Not sure what the crowns are atm.

what needs to be done. a player needs to be rewarded for being attacked. There needs to be a balance between attracting players and stopping them. as urk said, currently you build a slow defense and stop players. then players stop going to your keep. if no one attacks you, you should be penalized, or better incentive for getting attacked.

seems to be no middle ground either for win/lose.
either a keep is too easy, or too hard. the all or nothing for the chests is probably a mistake. check points?

It's pretty easy to tell who's keep is f2p and who pays. I would claim lots of keeps are physically impossible to beat if the owner is buying belongs. I'm only level nine but these dungeons with large, researched NPCs just don't seem killable in the timeframe or in one life.

If you're not paying for the service, then you're the product for the people that do. Pay or lose.

Caliane

It's pretty easy to tell who's keep is f2p and who pays. I would claim lots of keeps are physically impossible to beat if the owner is buying belongs. I'm only level nine but these dungeons with large, researched NPCs just don't seem killable in the timeframe or in one life.

If you're not paying for the service, then you're the product for the people that do. Pay or lose.
is it that, or is it just, your hero doesn't level if you don't attack others, or don't research upgrading your hero. while you can keep upgrading your keep.

what does paying exactly do? other then the wizard?

Soriak_sl

shitlord
War for the Overworldis pretty much DK3. It is very, very rough right now, but it is about the closest we're going to ever get I believe. Supposedly EA even gave them their blessing (along with a list of things they couldn't do of course, but still).
Looks exactly like DK2... meh, hopefully there's some improvements to the game. But still pretty cool. I'm surprised it took this long.

Caliane

Difficulty seems to be weird.

castle level is determined by... hidden. seems to be a factor of all your upgrades. Which is kindof lame, considering, its not just defensive ones.
I had a good level 5 castle. tough but possible. got a couple kills with it.
I did upgrade my defense a tiny bit. castle ranked up to 6. now at rank 6 was cake walk for level 6-9 players. so it got ran through.
Then I did background upgrades. more gold, more spirit, hero trainer, gold and gem chests as well...
ranked up to level 7 castle. I didnt buff my defenses at all... so it was easy to beat at level 6. now at level 7 its a joke.

defense rating and trap count gives a better idea of actual difficulty. but even that isn't perfect, as monsters can be upgraded, and that isn't shown.
And this is also a serious issue, as upgraded monsters are WAY stronger. literally twice as strong.
a level 6 castle with teir 1 monsters is cake walk. and shows 115 defense. a level 6 with teir 2 and shows 115 defense is unbeatable, without higher level gear.

Players are really forced to clear dungeons lower level then them for this. or find castles in the sweet spot of mid upgrade.
as again, ones like mine, which had their level raised but defense was not upgraded. so now as a level 7 castle, I stand to loose more gold/gems and crowns vs level 6,7 and 8 players.

Attacking keeps is very dependent on gear drops due to this. go up vs bosses, or upgraded tanks, and if you dont have the gear for it. you wont win. skill doesn't matter.

still enjoyable though.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
game is a lot of fun. watching replays of people fail in your dungeon is hilarious and probably the best part of the game but this shit better get wiped when they move phases and eventually release. newcomers are going to have a very hard time if they don't.

and yeah, p2w quickly creeps into this game.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
game is a lot of fun. watching replays of people fail in your dungeon is hilarious and probably the best part of the game but this shit better get wiped when they move phases and eventually release. newcomers are going to have a very hard time if they don't.

and yeah, p2w quickly creeps into this game.
ok, the game got a lot less fun now. the higher level you get the more you run into veteran players who have pretty much exploited out their castles, making them impossible and frustrating to beat.

they do this by the above mentioned slow trap spam (which is stupid but probably the least problematic) and basically spreading out their mobs in a way that blocks 1 mob from reaching you but is still agro on you. when a mob is agro on you the exit will not open and you're stuck going from one end of the castle to another to find the last mob all the while the timer is ticking away.

just to elaborate, you can set up groups of mobs within an area and when you agro one of the mobs the whole pack charges you. some players are hiding certain mobs that resurrect corpses every second and they don't come in immediately. they might stay back and you think the pack is clear and move on but those mobs are resurrecting everything you killed. so you reach the boss, kill it, but the door doesn't open. it turns out the entire dungeon has been resurrected and you have to do it all over again. really stupid stuff.

the next patch is fixing some of these problems so hopefully it will be an improvement but i`m going to sit it out until that happens.

DMK_sl

shitlord
So I'd really like to buy this game.. Is the general consensus that it sucks or is this a game with potential? Because I love the idea behind it.