The Netflix Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
2nd season of Santa Clarita Diet is out, and so far seems to be as entertaining as the first a couple episodes in.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fallet on netflix is pretty fantastic.

TV series. 1 season.
Comedy-drama.

Swedish. language is 50/50 English/swedish.
(netflix has a number of solid Norweigan shows.)

spoof on "nordic noir". Incompetent English detective gets demoted and sent to a Sweden to help solve a murder mystery. Gets paired with an incompetent Swedish police detective, who gets demoted, and sent to this small town.
So, its very similar to shows like, Lillyhammer, Happy valley, etc.

The New New Wave of European Crime Drama on Netflix

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
2nd season of Santa Clarita Diet is out, and so far seems to be as entertaining as the first a couple episodes in.

It was, I somehow missed Santa Clarita when it came out but burned through both seasons real quick

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Watching this now. pretty meh. half way through.

Solid acting, weak directing, and script.

Tone is first problem. It wants to be a physiological horror I think... but its doing a horrible job at it.
A big part of this is the script.
The movie constantly has these reveals as characters mutate, as if they are supposed to be creepy or something. Or, the doctors plans are revealed, and its supposed to seem sinister. But... its not. Everyone was briefed on what the plan was from the beginning.

Its fucking weird, as characters in the movie, act shocked and horrified by shit, they knew going in.
"we might die! I didn't sign up for this!" What the fuck are you talking about? that you might die, in last ditch effort to genetically restructure you, with UNTESTED bleeding edge science, to send you to another planet, was very clearly stated.
"my husband thinks, Ill go and come back and be a good wife." What the fuck? your husband, thinks you will be genetically transformed into a human fish person, sent to the moon Titan, and then come BACK, and be a housewife?
Domestic abuse wife was bizarre as well. As Piper just totally gaslights her. "my husband hits me, when I ask him to stay here with me." "well, you should support him, becuase you love him."

Piper. Similar on her character. Is a Doctor. again, they were very clear on what the point of this program was from the get go. "I'm a doctor, that amount of drug you are giving my husband is too high!" ugh, which part of genetic alteration do you not get? he breaths nitrogen, cant feel cold, etc... "zomg, they are splicing genes into these people!" again, what did you think the point of the program was?

Like, there is plenty of ways of creating drama, and physiological horror, like The Fly. But it needs to focus on the behavior. Not, these absurd reveals and implied sinister actions by the doctors, who are doing exactly what they said they would.
It needs to be more like Sunshine, where the problems come from failures. not some contrived clandestine actions.(except the end...) Alternatively, a much more adventurous approach, like Fat man and Little boy.

Edit: finished it.
And the final 3rd of the movie swaps to melodrama? I guess? yeah, tonal mess. this movie doesn't know what it wants to be.
long and a bit boring as a result.
Just watched it, was quite possibly the worst movie I have actually finished watching.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
this is probably not gonna be good but i'll netflix and chill with you

poor sam worthington

Watched it tonight. Its not good but was decent background. Adding insult to injury, Misandae from GoT is in it and never gets remotely naked.

Oldbased

> Than U
I thought it was ok enough. I watched the first half closely then it became background noise. It was different and that is what I was looking for. I give The Titan a 4/10. I made it through it.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not bad.

It's a good thing they didn't go through with buying that theater chain to garner more award attention for their movies though. They should focus on making good movies first. I wonder if giving has been comedians like Adam Sandler money to make stinker after stinker led to the Sci-Fi genre ousting Comedy as their #1.

Rime

<Donor>
Despite what people say about Sandler, his movies are regularly some of the most watched 'new releases'... so Netflix, even with the critical flak, is going to keep them coming.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's the ultimate platform for hacks. "I guess I'll throw this on as background noise while I do some chores. Maybe I'll laugh once or twice."

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Despite what people say about Sandler, his movies are regularly some of the most watched 'new releases'... so Netflix, even with the critical flak, is going to keep them coming.

Sandler still has a lot of fans. His movies have never been comic masterpieces, but they provide chuckles here and there. I actually kinda liked the Kevin James one where he's a writer. Ridiculous Six was fine when I watched it stoned af.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
Exactly. His movies are not 'highbrow' and (in my opinion) has not made a good one since Punch Drunk Love, but he has enough of a fanbase that anything he puts out will likely do better than a random movie/show that does not get huge critical acclaim/word of mouth storm.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Another gigantic thumbs down for Titan. Easily the worst movie I’ve seen in the past year or so.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Anon (2018) - IMDb

Clive Owens phoning it in is good enough for me, story was a mildly interesting, some of the ideas and concepts introduced were cool however the real reprecussions not well thought out in my opinion. Seemed like a better produced episode of Black Mirror (TV Series 2011– ) - IMDb .

Nudity, Sex, violence, swearing, Amanada Seyfried is nekked, drug use, probably some other shit will bother you if you use the word 'problematic' or 'triggering' unironicaly in your life.

I give it a 6.5 out of 10. Good time killer while you iPad™.

spronk

FPS noob
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Netflix's New Season of COMEDIANS IN CARS GETTING COFFEE to Launch July 6
Jerry Seinfeld's roving talk show combines coffee, laughs, and vintage cars into quirky, caffeine-filled adventures with the sharpest minds in comedy. The series returns to Netflix for an all-new season on July 6th.

Guests include: the late Jerry Lewis, Kate McKinnon, Ellen DeGeneres, Hasan Minhaj, Dana Carvey, Neil Brennan, Tracy Morgan, Brian Regan, Alec Baldwin, Zach Galifinakis, John Mulaney, and Dave Chappelle.

fuck yeah, i'm in for Chappelle and the others. The show is pretty great, netflix recently bought the whole thing too. Its a fantastic show to put on while you are doing something else

• 1Like