The Netflix Thread

Caliane

I didn't take it as SJW being shoehorned it. I mean, they are going through the early games, and space invaders was fucking huge, and this dude/dudette won. And he's some absolutely disgusting tranny. Did you see his teeth when they interviewed him after winning? Yikes.

Does anyone have insight on why all the early excellent video games were made in Japan? Space invaders, Pacman, Nintendo, etc?

Also, does anyone have insight on the Atari? I had an Atari but like I was fucking YOUNG, and by the time I have actual memories we had a Nintendo and the Atari was like kinda shitty already. I have played the games online, and honestly they are all fucking garbage. I don't see how E.T. is any worse than literally every other Atari game.
Atari is a bigger topic. But, otherwise the question is on Japan's dominance is in arcades, gambling, Yakuza. There was an easier transition into the arcade system, and more $$.
Nintendo, Taito, Namco, Sega, etc.

For nintendo, Miyamoto was the game designer for all their arcade games, and Gunpei Yokoi was the tech/division lead. Two absolute legends.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Atari is a bigger topic. But, otherwise the question is on Japan's dominance is in arcades, gambling, Yakuza. There was an easier transition into the arcade system, and more $$.
Nintendo, Taito, Namco, Sega, etc.

For nintendo, Miyamoto was the game designer for all their arcade games, and Gunpei Yokoi was the tech/division lead. Two absolute legends.

Miyamoto,... man, what a fucking genius. I still think The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is the single best video game that's ever been created.

• 1Like

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't take it as SJW being shoehorned it. I mean, they are going through the early games, and space invaders was fucking huge, and this dude/dudette won. And he's some absolutely disgusting tranny. Did you see his teeth when they interviewed him after winning? Yikes.

Does anyone have insight on why all the early excellent video games were made in Japan? Space invaders, Pacman, Nintendo, etc?

Also, does anyone have insight on the Atari? I had an Atari but like I was fucking YOUNG, and by the time I have actual memories we had a Nintendo and the Atari was like kinda shitty already. I have played the games online, and honestly they are all fucking garbage. I don't see how E.T. is any worse than literally every other Atari game.

Expectations. Also have to put it in the context of the time period. Yes the 2600 games look and play bad now but before the NES that's all there was so that was the scale they were judged on. Even computer games in the early 80's were mostly garbage. E.T. was a failure because Atari thought that making a game from an insanely popular movie equaled instant success with the game. Kids expected E.T. (however unrealistic) to have engaging gameplay and follow the events of the film. So Atari overproduced E.T. and the game didn't sell. Kind of was a sign of things to come with the 2600. Devs kept out turning out garbage after garbage in the hopes that it would sell simply because it was on the 2600.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

There is actually a doc that is specifically about Atari and the E.T. game itself but I don't think it's on Netflix anymore, you can find it on amazon though.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Because the arcade industry began in the early 1970's and at that point in time the Japanese people were putting everything they had into rebuilding their country's economy and restoring honor to their name in the aftermath of WW2 and Americans were listening to Jefferson Airplane and showing off their hairy armpits and snatches in public.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
went up last night

I finished this last night. It was just OK. Some episodes were really good, I liked learning about the Sega stuff (SNES 4 life) and it made me realize that the one kid on our block who thought he was cool shit was the one who had the genesis, so their marketing must have worked.

I was annoyed they spent half an episode on Roberta Williams but seemingly didn't talk about ANY of her games. Seemed entirely wasted. I did watch that episode pretty late at night so maybe I'm just mis-remembering.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I finished this last night. It was just OK. Some episodes were really good, I liked learning about the Sega stuff (SNES 4 life) and it made me realize that the one kid on our block who thought he was cool shit was the one who had the genesis, so their marketing must have worked.

I was annoyed they spent half an episode on Roberta Williams but seemingly didn't talk about ANY of her games. Seemed entirely wasted. I did watch that episode pretty late at night so maybe I'm just mis-remembering.

I totally agree. They only mentioned the word Sierra once, Sierra was fucking huge and giant part of probably most of our lives. Honestly I could have watched multiple in depth episodes on all these companies detailing how they made all these games, early work, problems they had developing the game, even like coding challenges, etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah agreed. Its like they struggled between trying to decide if they wanted to do a documentary about early video games or early arcade games, and they ended up with some hybrid that tried to transition between the two. The problem is they don’t focus enough on either and you’re left wanting more.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i only watched 15-20 mins of it so far but didn't love the tone, it feels like something done by a docu maker who is using consultants for video game info and isn't really super passionate themselves about it. Just feels off.

On the other hand I am absolutely FLOORED by the Last Dance, i am not into sports at all and couldn't name a current basketball player other than LeBron James but I am absolutely riveted by every second of The Last Dance.

if you are interested in ever watching Person of INternet, its leaving Netflix on Sept 22, heard its really good

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Person of Interest is great and gets better as the series goes on. The last episode is some of the best TV I've seen

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

Elizabeth Harvest. 5/10

Weird as fuck. Slightly interesting at points, but overall mostly boring. Was intrigued because the warning at the beginning said "Graphic Nudity" which I feel should indicate either a ridiculous amount of nudity or a full beaver shot or something. Sadly, no. Some titties, and some long-distance and/or weird lighting bush/merkin, but not anything remotely close to what I'd call "graphic." Hell, I think Beastmaster had more at PG.

Anyway, the main chick is good looking, but in a weird "I'm a fashion model" way: very striking face, too skinny body, small tits. Ciaran Hinds and Carla Gugino are solid. But the concept is one where it tries to be too heady I think, and I didn't really feel like it worked that well. Without going into spoilers (which I think the trailer does too much of), old super-rich guy marries young hot girl, brings her home, shows her around the huge house, tells her she can go anywhere she wants EXCEPT this one room. Duh, of course now she wants to go in there. Add in two creepy-ish helpers/servants, and you can see what mood they are going for.

I finished it, and I guess I didn't hate it, but I can't really say everyone should watch it. I'd be interested to hear what others thought of it though. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.
yeah, this was shit. don't anyone waste their time. Second half of the movie was just total crap. I can't relate or care about any of this
Only about the first 3 minutes of the movie was really any good, as I bet 90% of viewers could guess what the "twist" was, from the way it was shot. its pretty obvious.

• 2Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
please be good
Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Just watched Triple Frontier and it wasn't bad. Pacing issues mainly but the performances were solid, filmmaking was solid, some good music, however, it just doesn't quite flow correctly and should have been more. 6/10

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah i only watched 15-20 mins of it so far but didn't love the tone, it feels like something done by a docu maker who is using consultants for video game info and isn't really super passionate themselves about it. Just feels off.

On the other hand I am absolutely FLOORED by the Last Dance, i am not into sports at all and couldn't name a current basketball player other than LeBron James but I am absolutely riveted by every second of The Last Dance.

if you are interested in ever watching Person of INternet, its leaving Netflix on Sept 22, heard its really good

Whomever was writing the voiceover's script definitely wasn't. The voiceover was calling fighting games fight games. That is when I knew this wasn't some sort of passion project. I felt the FPS episode was the best one. I found it funny they didn't mention Sega Sports at all especially when it came to Sega's focus on sports games. I know they wanted to shoehorn EA in there, but Sega Sports were really big back then also. It birthed 2K Sports games by Take-Two.

No Sony PlayStation episode was pretty disappointing. My guess is they are saving it for a sequel series.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea I watched the first few episodes last night and was surprised at how good it is

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I totally agree. They only mentioned the word Sierra once, Sierra was fucking huge and giant part of probably most of our lives. Honestly I could have watched multiple in depth episodes on all these companies detailing how they made all these games, early work, problems they had developing the game, even like coding challenges, etc.
Ahh, Sierra. I still consider this to be the first true MMO. I racked up a $250 phone bill playing it. My mom was pissed.

dims.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity