The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

The ref already explained why the flag was picked up. The back judge threw the flag, who had a terrible angle. The head ref then called the penalty before the refs had time to confer, which he admitted was a mistake. The side judge, who had a better angle, said it was face guarding, which is legal, and there wasn't enough contact to warrant a PI call so the flag was picked up.
explain/lawyer why Dez didnt get the 15 yard unsportsmanlike?

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
What about the part where the defender pulls Pettigrew's jersey when the ball is in the air. That is legal now too?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It was Jerry $$$$

Morelli is on jerry's short list for super bowl consideration

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
im literally belly laughing

you cant be for real

i dont know if you happened to catch the regular season, but the NFC really sucks. The only things the contenders have going for them is Rodgers is the QB of the packers and the Seahawks are on a hot streak.
You won't find a shortage of people willing to avatar bet you if the Patriots make the Super Bowl. Anybody betting against Seattle right now would be foolish.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
The ref already explained why the flag was picked up. The back judge threw the flag, who had a terrible angle. The head ref then called the penalty before the refs had time to confer, which he admitted was a mistake. The side judge, who had a better angle, said it was face guarding, which is legal, and there wasn't enough contact to warrant a PI call so the flag was picked up.
So only one judge is paid off? Great, thanks. No reason why Dez wasn't penaltized? Okee dokey.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You soccer fans that are saying the PI call was horse shit or the pickup of the flag was horse shit, are all ignoring the fact that Dez Bryant ran on to the field with his helmet off and yelled at the official. That's an automatic 15.
Forgive my ignorance, but where is that in the rules? This was between plays, so it wasn't illegal participation. He didn't touch the ref or anything. In the pro's players are allowed to talk to the refs.

If anything, he will be fined for not wearing the NFL mandated sideline cap.

yea, looks like the right call was made. The late PI on the lions to help dallas take the lead was strange to me. I don't agree with tackling receivers in the box being a penalty, they could have the ball or whatever. There's a reason you can hold and grab people and shit in the box and have it not be a penalty.
I agree with you on that. As a former defensive lineman, I know you can't always tell if the fucker has the ball, so you tackle any running back that comes near you. I've gotten a couple of penalties when I thought I was making the tackle. Not saying it was the case there, but you're right, he was in the box, generally acting like a potential ball carrier, and was on the ground before the ball was in the air, so it was a fair play.

What about the part where the defender pulls Pettigrew's jersey when the ball is in the air. That is legal now too?
I don't see that. Here, this gif shows the ball being thrown and the ball hitting the defensive player in the back. So if there was jersey grabbing while the ball was in the air, it would be there. Please point it out.

kitYJCd.gif

Facemask grabbed and pulled right into him.
Closest I see is when his left hand disappears right after his facemask is jerked forward by the receiver. When he lost his balance, it's possible his hand touched the receiver. If there was a grab at that point, it would be no penalty since it was caused by the illegal actions of an opposing player.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Forgive my ignorance, but where is that in the rules? This was between plays, so it wasn't illegal participation. He didn't touch the ref or anything. In the pro's players are allowed to talk to the refs.

If anything, he will be fined for not wearing the NFL mandated sideline cap.
REMOVAL OF HELMET
(h) Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play during a celebration or during a confrontation
with a game official or any other player.

and

Article 1 A Time Out is an interval during which the Game Clock is stopped (4-4) and includes the intermission (4-1-2 and 4- 1-3).
During any time out, including an intermission,all playing rules continue in force.Representatives of either team are prohibited from entering the field unless they are incoming substitutes, or team attendants or trainers entering to provide for the welfare of a player, and any game-type activities are prohibited on the Field of Play.

Though I'm sure people break the rule often, doing it during a controversial and possibly game changing call by yourself (not in crowd of your teammates) seems like a reasonable time to call the penalty.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
He made no attempt to play the ball, none. That's as stone cold of a PI call as you'll ever seen. Not to mention Dez should have been given an unsportsmanlike as well. I'm not a fan of either team so I don't really care, but whoever is defending picking up that flag is just a homer and nothing more.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Well, he didn't remove his helmet. Removal of the helmet like that rule is talking about is an aggressive act, that's why it's banned. Guy is animated about something and now has a bludgeon in his hand. Also, sometimes the helmets slip off and you lose control when you're excited. The rule is not because the refs feel better seeing the players behind bars.

They don't enforce that second rule anywhere near as strictly as they would need to for dez's action to be illegal.

But thanks for the references. At least now I know what he was on about.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
There's really no reason to keep arguing over this. People bitching are doing it purely out of hatred of the Cowboys. There's never been a PI call/non call with 8:30 left in the game that's led to this kind of outrage.

Cowboys had some terrible calls against them, too. Terrance Williams getting shoved into the defender and then getting called for offensive PI was far worse of a call, but keep the tears flowing and claim the game was rigged

Delly

Trakanon Raider
He made no attempt to play the ball, none. That's as stone cold of a PI call as you'll ever seen.
The problem is in the NFL that is not a penalty. It is in college, but once you're a pro you don't need ball awareness anymore.

The picked up flag, the no call on Dez with no helmet, the subsequent multiple penalties to get the Cowboys a touchdown on their final drive which included a huge no call for the Lions that would have at least negated a penalty. A 5 minute stretch that was just awful officiating. Not saying the game was amazing and there wasn't missed calls or bad calls like the Cowboys offensive interference. Just saying it was pretty consistent until a single 5 minute stretch that put the Cowboys in the lead.

Let the salt flow.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
He made no attempt to play the ball, none.
You're talking about the receiver right? I agree, that's why it was not PI. Ball was un-catchable. If he had been all alone over there, he still couldn't have made that catch.
Receiver was trying to use the defender as leverage to stop his momentum and come back for the ball, but even that wasn't enough for him to get close.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The problem is in the NFL that is not a penalty. It is in college, but once you're a pro you don't need ball awareness anymore.

The picked up flag, the no call on Dez with no helmet, the subsequent multiple penalties to get the Cowboys a touchdown on their final drive which included a huge no call for the Lions that would have at least negated a penalty. A 5 minute stretch that was just awful officiating. Not saying the game was amazing and there wasn't missed calls or bad calls like the Cowboys offensive interference. Just saying it was pretty consistent until a single 5 minute stretch that put the Cowboys in the lead.

Let the salt flow.
Only way you could think it was only 5 minutes of bad officiating is if you only watched 5 minutes of the game. There were probably only 2 or 3 five min stretches of good officiating in that game.

REMOVAL OF HELMET
(h) Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play during a celebration or during a confrontation
with a game official or any other player.
Dez didn't remove his helmet in the field of play. He ran onto the field from the sidelines with his helmet already removed. This is not a penalty.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'm so glad the other 59 minutes and 50 seconds of play didn't mean anything.

How about 6 points? You know, the number scored by Detroit after the first quarter.

How about 4th and 1 and trying to draw Dallas offsides instead of running it and trying to blow them off the ball?

What about Shanky McShankerson doing the absolute worst thing on the ensuing punt?

What about two, not one but two, defensive holds on that final drive by Dallas to keep them in the game?

Detroit had a lot of chances to run away with this game, but they let Dallas hang around. Credit should be given to Dallas for taking advantage of that, regardless of how you feel about that PI call/no-call. Also, I think it wouldn't have been picked up if Stafford that thrown it higher. As it stands, that ball was uncatchable, which might ultimately be what swung the decision.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Only way you could think it was only 5 minutes of bad officiating is if you only watched 5 minutes of the game. There were probably only 2 or 3 five min stretches of good officiating in that game.
I will just continue to think its convenient that even though the game was poorly officiated there wasn't 5-6 calls/no calls that went against one team in a row until that time in the game in which 2-3 were controversially decided in the favor of one team. Any one of those 3 calls/no calls could have completely changed the game.

I watch every Lions game, I realize they shoot themselves in the foot 90+% of the time. This was a damn clean game by them, other than that punt that gave all of Michigan cancer.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't see that. Here, this gif shows the ball being thrown and the ball hitting the defensive player in the back. So if there was jersey grabbing while the ball was in the air, it would be there. Please point it out.
You can't see in the gif because you can't see the receivers back. Can't embed the NFL video, but it is in this post. Watch the slo-mo replay. It's funny watching people try to defend this instead of admitting it was a bad call.

Officials change minds on controversial call, helping Cowboys to win | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports