The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, Detroit did a lot to fuck themselves out of what should have been a win, but dismissing a call that would give them an automatic first down and move them closer to field goal range in a 3 point game all while also allowing them to run more time off the clock makes you sound dumb as fuck.

The "should just go for it on 4th and 1" is humorous too. Sure, we can trot out that "if you can't get a yard on 4th down what are you doing in the playoffs" bullshit all day, but if your run game had been getting stuffed most of the day (See: 90 yards total rushing by the team in the game), and you're sporting the #2 defense in football this season (for yards, #3 for points), wouldn't you when protecting what was then a 3 point lead NOT risk handing the ball over near midfield to Dallas and try to pin them deep since your D had held them to 17 points all game so far too?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's easy to criticize that call in hindsight, but if I had to choose between trusting my offense or trusting my defense as the Lions coach, I'm trusting my defense. And my punter not to fuck up to fucking bad.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Yea, but if you're Jim Caldwell you're probably just panicking because you have no fucking idea what you're doing, and just hoping no one finally sees through your charade and fires you.

I wonder if they even give him a headset with a working mic.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh, Jesus Fucking Tebow. This Cowboys suckfest has now brought fucking Astro to the thread as a "lifelong" Cowboys fan?
i am not a cowboys fan, fuck i am not even a football fan, i watch some games when i am with friends who are into this stuff. i happened to be watching this particular game and i was watching my friends going on about the refs fucking the lions or that jerry jones paid them off. im like, the lions already squandered their lead and were still ahead when this happened. it did not need to end with them losing the game. they could barely return a kick towards the end. they were begging the cowboys to put them out of their misery.

isnt this all moot anyway since neither the lions nor the cowboys have a hope in beating Green Bay?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
The "should just go for it on 4th and 1" is humorous too. Sure, we can trot out that "if you can't get a yard on 4th down what are you doing in the playoffs" bullshit all day, but if your run game had been getting stuffed most of the day (See: 90 yards total rushing by the team in the game), and you're sporting the #2 defense in football this season (for yards, #3 for points), wouldn't you when protecting what was then a 3 point lead NOT risk handing the ball over near midfield to Dallas and try to pin them deep since your D had held them to 17 points all game so far too?
Normally, I'd say a punt is in order. But Dallas had a shit-ton of momentum at that particular point in the game, and the crowd was loud and supportive. You can't break momentum by punting.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Normally, I'd say a punt is in order. But Dallas had a shit-ton of momentum at that particular point in the game, and the crowd was loud and supportive. You can't break momentum by punting.
So you should definitely panic and go for it at midfield, and if you fail it would basically x10 that momentum while gift-wrapping an almost certain 3 points at a minimum? Pinning them inside the 10 and forcing a 3 and out would break that mo' quite well. Of course, they are the Lions so we know what their punter pulled out of his ass.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The hold isn't what people are calling the PI. The PI is right before the ball hits Hitchens when his left hand presses and moves Pettigrew's right shoulder backwards.
The contact you're talking about was incidental contact caused by the receiver trying to come back for the ball. The PI most people are talking about was the face shielding. Where the defender threw his hands up without looking back (he wasn't playing the ball). Of course, he wasn't looking back because his facemask had just been jerked forward and he was off balance. But to people who apparently watch 8 football games a year half of them in pre-season ... that doesn't matter.

By all means, provide 20 other examples of thrown flags with called penalties that got overturned because of an uncalled penalty. Let's see Ed Hochuli saying a penalty didn't count because of an uncalled penalty. Also find me one official who said the facemask was why this got overturned. I'll wait.
If you seriously don't know that penalties are not called when an opposing player forces you into it, you need to leave this thread, hell the entire sports section, in shame.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you seriously don't know that penalties are not called when an opposing player forces you into it, you need to leave this thread, hell the entire sports section, in shame.
The penaltywascalled.

How about one example. Flag thrown, penalty called, both teams starting to walk it off, then a ref explaining that it was not a penalty because there was another totally uncalled penalty.

I know you played in the pros for years, you must have many first hand examples of this.

All of course beside the fact thatthe facemask was not the reason they picked up the flag. The official excuse was that the contact was minimal from another angle. You, and a few other retards, are arguing about something that is empirically irrelevant. I'm not even arguing football or sports with you, I'm just shitting on your horrible argument.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The important thing to remember here is that the Patriots have never won a Superbowl without cheating, and as long as it stays that way there will always be an asterisk by all of Brady's records.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The important thing to remember here is that the Patriots have never won a Superbowl without cheating
bustedtees.574aa52d-f1dc-40ed-a51f-0d8980a0.gif

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You guys have gone full Gaige with your blame the refs temper tantrum. Man the fuck up and move on

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't blame the refs or particularly care about the game beyond my usual simmering dislike of your favorite team. Just arguing against stupidity.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
If Caldwell trusted his defense to bail out the team then going for that 4th and 1 was absolutely the right thing to do. Odds are if you punt the best case is you gain 26yrds as they were at the Dallas 46. Instead they take the delay of game and get one of the worst punts ever and the whole thing was a joke. Dallas's run D wasn't that great, they more than likely would have picked up that yard.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If Caldwell trusted his defense to bail out the team then going for that 4th and 1 was absolutely the right thing to do. Odds are if you punt the best case is you gain 26yrds as they were at the Dallas 46.
26 yards is a quarter of the field. And "best case" is a nice littlecoffin cornerand Dallas having to go 90+ yards.

Hindsight on these calls is always stupid. Every 4th and 1 attempt that fails was the stupidest call ever and the coach should have known better than to try it. Every punt on 4th and 1 that backfires was the stupidest call ever and the coach should have known better than to try it. Without fail.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
just seeing Suh slumped on the bench at the end of the game was priceless

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
over/under 15 penalties against cowboys at green bay. nfl trying to make it right

Xevy

Log Wizard
Lawl at neggers. I'm not a Lions fan. I'm just not retarded.

"IF YER AINT WIF DA COWBOYS, YER AGAINST DA COWBOYZ!"

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, it's really annoying. No one is even saying the Lions would have won. Daring to say anything negative about Glorious American People's Team of Cowboys is grounds for pants shitting.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Hindsight on these calls is always stupid. Every 4th and 1 attempt that fails was the stupidest call ever and the coach should have known better than to try it. Every punt on 4th and 1 that backfires was the stupidest call ever and the coach should have known better than to try it. Without fail.
I agree that it wasn't a stupid call in any way and Caldwell shouldn't be taking a lot of heat for it. Pinning them deep with the way their Dline had been playing was a good plan.

We also don't know if they would have picked up the 1st down and even if they did if the Lions still could have lost anyways. Blaming the Lions losing on that one play is as bad as saying the Cowboys won all because of the play before it.