The New England Patriots 2014 Playoffs Thread

moontayle

Golden Squire
That's not exactly the logic I was going for, but if we're going to play that game Seattle is also better than they were earlier in the year as well. The general point I was going for was that I don't think GB is improved enough to win the game. In fact, with their QB much less than 100%, they're arguably in worse shape. I'm not sure how anyone of sound mind can think Green Bay is going to win in Seattle.

But, that's why they play the game I suppose.
Dallas is pretty much the definition of a try-hard defense. They're mostly outmatched, especially against top offensive teams, and I went into the game thinking that if we lost it would be because the defense wouldn't be able to keep Rodgers down. Like I said, even gimpy he's a monster. Seattle, however, is on a different level. GB will put points on the board, no doubt, but I can only see them winning if Seattle suddenly forgets how to tackle.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Seattle's offense is not underrated. They have Lynch and Wilson's scrambling and that's it. They win because the D only allows 8 points a game and gets a lot of turnovers.

Phalanx

Silver Knight of the Realm
Dallas is pretty much the definition of a try-hard defense. They're mostly outmatched, especially against top offensive teams, and I went into the game thinking that if we lost it would be because the defense wouldn't be able to keep Rodgers down. Like I said, even gimpy he's a monster. Seattle, however, is on a different level. GB will put points on the board, no doubt, but I can only see them winning if Seattle suddenly forgets how to tackle.
I don't think GB will get shut out, I just don't think they'll win. I agree, if Seattle for some reason doesn't do the one thing they do better than anyone else in the league -- i.e. play defense, tackle, swarm to the ball, then sure GB has a fighting chance.

But, is that what the pro-GBer's think will happen? That Seattle won't play D, at home, in the playoffs?
smile.png

Phalanx

Seattle's offense is not underrated. They have Lynch and Wilson's scrambling and that's it. They win because the D only allows 8 points a game and gets a lot of turnovers.
Their passing game has stepped up over the past few weeks. They don't have an elite receiving corps, sure, but they're playing well as of late. They're also deeper than Lynch at RB, though he is definitely the headliner.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
he does have a Super Bowl ring and an MVP (in a season in which he carried the team -- they had no D)
I thought the Pack had a pretty good defense in 2010, when they won the Super Bowl. They lost Cullen Jenkins after that season, and the defense hasn't looked the same since.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
They lost Cullen Jenkins after that season, and the defense hasn't looked the same since.
I seem to recall BJ Raji was playing far better than he has since too; the defense nearly turned into a 2-5, since Raji plugged up so much of the middle. That's obviously not happening this season.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It has been a long time (7 weeks?) since Seattle has faced a competent offense and even longer since they have faced a capable defense. I think that unless our game plan sucks, we can probably put up three scores on Seattle over the course of the game. McFatty being predictable or cute with the playcalling, our redzone issues, or the rookie C getting flustered might fuck that up, but basically that aspect is not the part that concerns me. This game will come down to the other side of the ball for GB, specifically stopping the runs of both Lynch and Wilson. The GB D has been suspect against the run and terrible against running QBs, but we have not faced one since we re-aligned our main defensive set, so maybe we actually stop Wilson this time? I would say likely not, but this will be the first time we have faced a good read option QB with our Cadillac D, so I guess it is remotely possible.

I look at Seattle the last few weeks and to me their weak point is the offense, especially the receivers. They have not been putting up huge points very often and when they have it has been against poor teams in garbage time, generally. But competent read option running QBs have been our bane for years now, so I don't think we can stop them, especially since the way we will have to play offense will mean Seattle having a huge time of possession advantage and our already suspect D wearing down to the nub by the 4th quarter. The only bright spot for us in this is that their wideouts are so pedestrian that we can probably get away with lighter coverage on them, which is good because the Seattle TE and Lynch are the real threats, anyhow.

I would love to see the Packers win, but realistically, I predict Packers 17, Seattle 31 with most of the Seahawk points coming in the late 3rd quarter.

Pats vs Colts, I think Brady is running out of gas but still not as faded as Pey Pey, so I see that game being 24-13 Patriots win over the Colts. Whichever team walks out of that game is going to get beat in the SB, however.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I seem to recall BJ Raji was playing far better than he has since too; the defense nearly turned into a 2-5, since Raji plugged up so much of the middle. That's obviously not happening this season.
The D stunk it up most of the season, but somehow became godlike in the playoffs. That is sort of Capers MO. He keeps things vanilla in the regular season and starts getting tricky later on. This is probably as good of a D as we have had in a while though. We desperately need a replacement of Hawk and a veteran secondary addition next year.

Phalanx

I thought the Pack had a pretty good defense in 2010, when they won the Super Bowl. They lost Cullen Jenkins after that season, and the defense hasn't looked the same since.
I was referring to his first MVP year when they went 15-1 and lost to the Giants in the divisional round (I think). Their SB season, the defense did step up during the playoffs, much like Indy's 2006 SB playoff season.

IPats vs Colts, I think Brady is running out of gas but still not as faded as Pey Pey, so I see that game being 24-13 Patriots win over the Colts. Whichever team walks out of that game is going to get beat in the SB, however.
Again, what are your opinions based on? Brady threw 3 touchdowns, 350+ yards, 33/50 and ran for 1. Out of gas? Where are you getting this from?

I'm not even saying anything overly boastful or positive about the Pats, but really where is the logic in your thoughts?

radditsu

Again, what are your opinions based on? Brady threw 3 touchdowns, 350+ yards, 33/50 and ran for 1. Out of gas? Where are you getting this from?

I'm not even saying anything overly boastful or positive about the Pats, but really where is the logic in your thoughts?
He aint lasering them in there like he used to buddy. He's all short touch pass.