The new Gen has started: Where do you stand?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I've been playing the new Zelda on 3DS this weekend and it's kind of funny that I'm enjoying that game more than anything on my Vita or PS4. I wish Nintendo would just be a developer/publisher.
Sega's game quality has declined dramatically since they gave up making hardware bro. I dunno why people keep wishing Nintendo would follow that route. Mario should not go the way of Sonic, ever.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought a 360 for Guitar Hero. They stopped making these, closed due to excessive wealth? And after that, I bought one game every two years.

I hate console games.

Malkav

French Madman
Curious as I haven't really paid attention but ps4 only launched in the US I believe is that the same for xbone or did they launch in other countries also?
Nope, XBone launched in 13 countries, including UK, Germany, France and Australia (those are not tiny markets). That's why their "1 million in 24h" sucks compared to the 1 million PS4 in 24h in NA alone.

Szlia

Curious as I haven't really paid attention but ps4 only launched in the US I believe is that the same for xbone or did they launch in other countries also?
Answering this question proved a little more complicated than expected.

PS4 launched in Canada and the United States and is launching this Friday in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom as well as Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama and Peru. Add several asian countries in December (this list proved too hard to find, but it includes Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan) and finally Japan in February.

XB1 launched in Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, United States and New Zealand. They expect to launch 'as soon as possible in 2014' in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden and Switzerland.

Note that these lists are "territories" not countries, which means there are probably additional countries where the consoles are or will be available, but they are part of a greater "territory".

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I bought a 360 for Guitar Hero. They stopped making these, closed due to excessive wealth?
Nah, they quit making them because they made so many that people stopped buying them basically. They milked the golden goose dry and moved on.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
bbTNXw4.jpg

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Sega's game quality has declined dramatically since they gave up making hardware bro. I dunno why people keep wishing Nintendo would follow that route. Mario should not go the way of Sonic, ever.
Making quality games has nothing to do with also making hardware. Sega's game issues had nothing to do with leaving the hardware business.

Nintendo can continue to lose their ass in the hardware market if they choose but there is tons more money to be made making cross platform games.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Nope, XBone launched in 13 countries, including UK, Germany, France and Australia (those are not tiny markets). That's why their "1 million in 24h" sucks compared to the 1 million PS4 in 24h in NA alone.
They basically sold eveything they had for sale. Where they sold them is pointless. If they had launched in the USA only they still would've sold them all.

Szlia

Nintendo can continue to lose their ass in the hardware market if they choose but there is tons more money to be made making cross platform games.
I am really not sure the money they would make in additional game sales would beat the money they make on hardware sales and licensing fees.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nah, they quit making them because they made so many that people stopped buying them basically. They milked the golden goose dry and moved on.
I'm pretty sure with new consoles now, the golden goose now has fresh milk. GH has been a great party game throughout the years, but now my toy guitars are worn and the set list played up and down. I'd get a PS4 just to play another release of GH with solid music on it and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. They just need to be reasonable and not release a dozen games per year.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Making quality games has nothing to do with also making hardware. Sega's game issues had nothing to do with leaving the hardware business.

I think it does in terms of the mindset of the company. Nintendo needs to churn out quality 1st party titles to sell its system against other competitors. That's a big motivator in making good games to begin with. Once they're just making games alone, the tendency to just milk their IPs without publishing quality titles may overwhelm them. It sure seems to have done so for Sega.

I'm pretty sure with new consoles now, the golden goose now has fresh milk. GH has been a great party game throughout the years, but now my toy guitars are worn and the set list played up and down. I'd get a PS4 just to play another release of GH with solid music on it and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. They just need to be reasonable and not release a dozen games per year.
I don't disagree.

Szlia

About music games:

I think they had a multidimensional problem with no obvious solution. One dimension is the gameplay: very difficult to make it evolve from a game to the next. Another dimension is the track list: people don't want to buy the same songs over and over after each new game. Another dimension is the cost: since the gamplay remains the same, you add instruments, but it adds costs (and storage space), people are not willing to spend again and again on plastic instruments and that route hits a dead end pretty fast (unless you want to create Symphonic Hero: Baroque edition). An other dimension is that the artists realized a lot of money was made on their backs and adjusted their royalties and some also sued the game creators over what they perceived to be misuse of their likeness.

I guess there is still room for a new version of these games every four or five years, just to integrate a bunch of new music, but that's about it.

Neversoft, that made the last Guitar Hero games recently made a multiplayer mode for CoD: Ghosts, Vicarious Vision that made the handheld version is now behind the iOS and 3DS versions of Skylander and Harmonix, that started the music game boom in 2005 with Guitar Hero are now doing the Dance Central games for Kinect.

PS: The golden goose lays golden eggs, it's not milked like a cow!

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That poll is stupid. I own a PC and PS4. PC should be taken out of it. This is a console war, not a console v PC war.

Szlia

Chain posting wuwu...

Searching for sales number of key franchises earlier, I noticed VGChartz has now a category for pre-ordered games in the US. I am not sure how reliable this data is, but it has the PS4 versions of Watch Dogs and Destiny at about 150% of the XB1 versions (and waaaay ahead of the X360 and PS3 versions).

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
i'll be curious to see what sort of stock Sony has for when they launch this Friday. Would be pretty crazy if they drop another million down in 24 hours.

Szlia

That poll is stupid. I own a PC and PS4. PC should be taken out of it. This is a console war, not a console v PC war.
It's a multiple choice poll, so only the 'none of the above' number is affected by the addition of the PC options.

spronk

FPS noob
i dunno much about guitar hero, the one i bought sits unopened in the closet and i already traded in my 360. but this looks pretty awesome, might get one and a guitar for christmas. i guess you learn how to play a real guitar with it and can also play GH like stuff?
Amazon.com: Rocksmith 2014 Edition - PC/Mac (Cable Included): Video Games

who am i kidding i'd never even open it
frown.png

Flight

Molten Core Raider
At todays exchange rate XBone is $700 and PS4 $630 (base console without games) in the UK.

Considered buying one of them for my 9 year old but all their games are on PS3 so I decided to get a new one of those instead for now. Just aren't any games out worth buying either of them for right now.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Have a PC I built in late 2011 and think it's still probably better than a shitty computer-console.

Malkav

French Madman
They basically sold eveything they had for sale. Where they sold them is pointless. If they had launched in the USA only they still would've sold them all.
Yup, sold out everywhere. Guess what will happen on friday when the PS4 releases 1+ million unit in western europe and so on? They will easily more than double their current sales in less than a day, while MS wasn't even capable of having enough stock in only 13 fucking countries.