The Newsroom s3

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The idea of the First Amendment protecting something like this and the defense of it is what interest me. It is big topic nowadays with WikiLeaks and all that crap. But I do not understand how someone can reasonably justify that you should be able to hide behind the First Amendment even though you knowingly aided someone in stealing classified documents.

The Manning thing is over now but it created interesting precedents that will work well in this show. Dumping tens of thousands of documents is not whistleblowing when you don't even know what most of them contained in the first place.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Another solid episode with less real life reporting. (And less romance)

Interested to see how this all ends.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dumping tens of thousands of documents is not whistleblowing when you don't even know what most of them contained in the first place.
It's fun to see the consequences. Of course there's a lot of fucked up black ops shit you'll find, but there's also a lot of people you'll put their lives in jeopardy. This season is really interesting and it would be better without the romance drama.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Tonight's episode was bleh...

Some good points, but not the strongest this year in my opinion.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That song at the end was awesome. It's an old song. It's called Ave Maria, and the singer is Katie Boeck.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think Sorkin is trying to open up a new Emmy category: Most Pretentious Hour of TV.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I thought Charlie walking through Julliard to get some random musicians to play a tune was really silly.

Boobietastles_sl

shitlord
I don't understand where the fuck Jim gets off on treating Meryl Streep 2.0 like that..and why didn't she kick him to the curb any sooner? That guy is a major douche. I was hoping she would throw him over the balcony. There is nothing likable about his character what-so-ever.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand where the fuck Jim gets off on treating Meryl Streep 2.0 like that..and why didn't she kick him to the curb any sooner? That guy is a major douche. I was hoping she would throw him over the balcony. There is nothing likable about his character what-so-ever.
Yeah, Jim is a pretentious asshole for no reason. Oh your girlfriend does something you find "beneath" your journalistic scruples. So you just give her shit about it the whole time? I honestly don't know what they're going to do with the character. I did like that they actually put Will into custody. The government prosecutor is actually portrayed quite fairly. I am not sure why the Judge was shaming him for bringing Will into the chambers though... "letting a legitimate case go too far because I don't like press on my front steps."

This is how I view Jim's dialogue:

"You get money per view as a bonus. Hah, only non-journalist plebs have things like that! You're just sad you're not cream of the crop like me, sucks to not be that good doesn't it? Oh, but I'll really miss you."

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure Jim is acting like that because he knows that dating her was a mistake in the first place.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
It all seems forced and rushed. (Jim, and the triangle of whatever love)...the Don/Sloan banter is much more interesting.

But, knowing the show will end soon, there doesn't seem a point in getting involved.

Makes me miss Sports Night even more.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
This is the last season of this show right? We're going to get some sappy Jim/Maggie happy ending and unfortunately they had to rush him out of his normal, better relationship to do it.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
This is the last season of this show right? We're going to get some sappy Jim/Maggie happy ending and unfortunately they had to rush him out of his normal, better relationship to do it.
I'm sure it's wishful thinking but I hope they don't waste time on Jim/Maggie and instead just show them in the final episode in a manner that clearly shows they are going to be together. Right now this season is lining up to largely be about relationships Jim/Maggie, Sloan and whatever his name is, and Will and big tits. I really disliked the guy buying the network, I realize that's what they want but I disliked the portrayal doesn't come off as real.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ok wow. This episode made me legitimately happy the show is ending. I mean, its always been a pretentious-ish show, but come the fuck on. This show is great for covering the more relevant topics over the past few years. But like was mentioned in earlier seasons, "superhero journalism" is stupid.

So, the source Will was protecting conveniently kills herself and Will gets to keep his ideals intact because the lady had no family of any kind and the DOJ drops the charges. Will protecting the source was an interesting plot point. But being able to walk away, ideals intact, Scott free because of a completely insane stroke of luck is fucking retarded. He didn't even look like he remotely cared that someone had to commit suicide for trying to do the right thing just so that he gets to walk the moral high road free of charge.

The new owner, completely within his right (asshole that he may be)... you know, as the owner of the network, is directing how he wants the network to be run. Driving tracking by trafficking buzzfeed shit. Going against the grain of the elitist reporters. This again is an interesting plot point. Completely fucking railed by, again, a ridiculous MacGuffin that allows them to openly defy the owner and make no effort to run the stories he wants. But instead of just threatening to quit or something reasonable, they get to undermine him and get away free of charge.

I rarely bitch about TV shows and I've enjoyed this one as long as it has been on. But holy shit...

The only excellent dialog in the episode came from Will's cellmate.