The Northman (2022)

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I’m lukewarm on the Witch but the Lighthouse is one of my favorite movies in the past couple years. Went with a buddy who had never seen either and just assumed it was a Viking doing cool shit movie.

When the kid and his dad are barking like dogs and you see the tree for the first time he goes “what the fuck am I watching here?”

10 minutes later he realizes “Oh. It’s Hamlet.”

I loved it. 9/10.
I didn't know it previously. but looked it up, and apparently Hamlet is based on this story.

The scandinavian legend goes back to the 10th century. although, 12th century latin is the oldest known source.
A bunch of Scandinavian versions over time.

1572, in the 16th century, a French author popularized it outside of Scandinavia.
in 1589 an English play version, known as Ur-Hamlet made rounds, but has since been lost.
And sometime between 1599-1602, Shakespeare stole it and wrote Hamlet. Likely, from Ur-Hamlet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
This is the kind of move that no one will remember or hear about in 2 weeks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
This was meh. Could have been an hour shorter and you would miss nothing. Also you have raping and pillaging but no titties so makes it hard to be believable. Willem dafoe was hilarious tho.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I had this on in the background while working on stuff in the garage. I'd just stop and watch the fights. I have no fucking idea what the storyline is at all. I feel like I picked the right way to watch this.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This was the most baller shit I've watched all year.

Really sad it never showed up at the only theater worth a shit near me.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida
if you want another unfulfilling shit viking movie. go watch refn's valhalla rising.

outside of drive, that dude is a turd.

You either love or hate Neon Demon there is no middle ground. I fall into the love category with that one but I totally get why people hate it lol, but yea other then that and Drive he hasn't interested me much

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You either love or hate Neon Demon there is no middle ground. I fall into the love category with that one but I totally get why people hate it lol, but yea other then that and Drive he hasn't interested me much
I liked Too Old To Die Young and I'm eager about Copenhagen Cowboy but he definitely needs to stick to stuff like Drive, it was perfect and there's so much potential.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What the fuck is wrong with you soy fucks. This movie is medically proven to improve your T levels

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally got around to watching it. I can definitely see why it wasn't a huge success. There's no hero arc really & the main character is hard to root for, so it's not a satisfying film in that sense. It did have a few interesting bits, Kidman's character having a bad case of stockholm syndrome was something I didn't expect. And the whole middle of the film where he infiltrates Fjolnir's farm and plots his revenge, and uses ancient Norse magic I think?, was different. The final act though was very generic.