The Northman (2022)

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Taking about previews, they were terrible. I remember when the previews would focus mainly on similar type movies. If you bought tickets for an action movie, at least 60-70% of the previews were action-oriented movies. I don't know if there is a dearth of good movies coming out...but my preview made me want to wait another 5 years before going again. They even did an ad for AMC theaters that was idiotic and time wasting. Fuck you AMC. Back to other options.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't get the hate for this movie. I really liked it. The ending was the only unsatisfying thing for me. Even that was good though.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I don't get the hate for this movie. I really liked it. The ending was the only unsatisfying thing for me. Even that was good though.

It's not hate per se, just misleading trailers.

Although, once the initial reviews were in then there really is no excuse for thinking it was gonna be Terminator meets Vikings

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

They even did an ad for AMC theaters that was idiotic and time wasting. Fuck you AMC. Back to other options.
the only amc in my region is pretty shit, old building and small theaters last time i went we thought were going to be late, but trailers didn't start till 10 mins after show time and ran for 30 mins. don't think i will ever go back to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
the only amc in my region is pretty shit, old building and small theaters last time i went we thought were going to be late, but trailers didn't start till 10 mins after show time and ran for 30 mins. don't think i will ever go back to it.

That was almost exactly my situation. I came 5 minutes late; previews were just starting, and they lasted at least 25 minutes and were awful. I actually went out for a few minutes to double check that I was in the right place due to how long it took to just get to the movie. I won't be going back either.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I usually leave for the theater at the time the movie is slated to start. I can get to the theater, park, pay for the movie, buy popcorn, find my seats, and still have about 5 minutes of bullshit before the show starts.

And yes, one of the reasons previews suck so much these days is because movies suck so much these days.

Good news is it seems like Hollywood might be realizing how awful they've become and some people are making a concerted effort to change it by making good movies again. We'll see...

• 2Like

Goatface

-spoilers -

think the thing that mislead me the most from the trailers were the olga clips, which made me think there was going to be a big battle with some magic.
we get to iceland/fjolnir camp like 40 mins in, which to me seemed tiny, like maybe 60 people at most with 20 warriors. was it bigger? he starts off by wrecking 3 guys and as enough time to play with the bodies. he could have killed most of the warriors with ease the way it was going. his dicking around the village got a bunch of people killed and just seemed dumb. really wanted the fight with fjolnir to be the end of the 2nd act and the 3rd him trying to reclaim his homeland.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
-spoilers -

think the thing that mislead me the most from the trailers were the olga clips, which made me think there was going to be a big battle with some magic.
we get to iceland/fjolnir camp like 40 mins in, which to me seemed tiny, like maybe 60 people at most with 20 warriors. was it bigger? he starts off by wrecking 3 guys and as enough time to play with the bodies. he could have killed most of the warriors with ease the way it was going. his dicking around the village got a bunch of people killed and just seemed dumb. really wanted the fight with fjolnir to be the end of the 2nd act and the 3rd him trying to reclaim his homeland.
It said the traitor uncle was ousted out of his kingdom by another king. Which is why the new place was so small and being set up.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
-spoilers -

Didnt he say he was going to terrorize his uncle instead of just outright kill him?

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
-spoilers -

This wasn't about "reclaiming his land" for Amleth. It was purely about rescuing his mother and revenge for his father, that's it. He didn't really give a fuck about the "homeland", especially since it had already been taken by someone else that wasn't his Uncle.
I think a lot of people just don't dig Eggers. Buddy of mine that I watched this with did the typical, "WTF!? WHY IS IT SO WEIRD WITH THE TREE STUFF?!". I feel like you either love this style of movie or you absolutely hate it. I love the weird shit (stuff like Vanilla Sky, Valhalla Rising, etc. are some of my favorite movies).

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Szlia

Saw this tonight.

Decent attendance for a Sunday night. The doom and gloomer were probably in the wrong, but I guess we'll just need to wait and see what the numbers say.

As for the movie, I was not overly impressed. In a way it's a bit meh because it's half assed. It's not great as some sort of action / epic / revenge tale, it's no Conan or 13th Warrior. It's not great as some sort of arty trance-like initiatory journey, it's no Valhalla Rising or The Revenant. It's ok I guess. It makes me think that this director is severely over rated, but again I have not seen his previous films.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
It makes me think that this director is severely over rated, but again I have not seen his previous films.
Any particular reason why you haven't seen them? I enjoyed this, but I'd also say it's his weakest entry.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I downloaded The Lighthouse but I turned it off after a few mins - it was pretty late, I live in a groundfloor apartment and everytime the lighthouse blasted (I never knew Lighthouses emitted noise as well as light) my 1000w subwoofer made the room shake. Didn't want to upset upstairs neighbour so turned it off

Szlia

Any particular reason why you haven't seen them? I enjoyed this, but I'd also say it's his weakest entry.
No reason in particular, it's just that most of the movies I see I see in theaters and The Witch was not released around here. I think The Lighthouse was, but I am not even 100% sure with COVID and all. There are also periods when I see a lot of movies and periods when I don't, so if a movie is released in a period when I don't, I can very easily miss it.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
He got some things absolutely perfect, maybe at the cost of struggling to flow some of the story better or flesh it out. Was kinda long I think, but I'll own the DVD.

Great plot and twists.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
$20 bucks is cheaper then tickets now
then popcorn and drinks if you do that
then for me the closest theater worth a damn is 40 min away so thats gas money and travel time
then previews etc so the movie is 1hr longer then it should be

If seeing certain movies on big screens with big sound wasn't a requirement like Dune id never go again
Here in Canadiana, I went to see The Bad Guys with my son and Baby Mamma. On a Saturday Afternoon. Tickets were $41. 2 drink, 2 popcorn, 2 candy deal was $30+.

It cost nearly $75 for the three of us to see that movie and have snacks.

Now I want my boy to get some of that movie theatre experience before it dies, and he was pumped and had a great time, but that price tag is ridiculous.

Edit - Also, there were at least 5 full commercials before the previews even started. Felt like 15 minutes AT LEAST.

Edit 2 - I actually like Eggers and look forward to seeing this when it is "free" on one of my subscription services lol.

• 1Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I enjoyed it. It really did capture the atmosphere and the viking theme, savage, brutal but still contains human element.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Here in Canadiana, I went to see The Bad Guys with my son and Baby Mamma. On a Saturday Afternoon. Tickets were $41. 2 drink, 2 popcorn, 2 candy deal was $30+.

It cost nearly $75 for the three of us to see that movie and have snacks.

Now I want my boy to get some of that movie theatre experience before it dies, and he was pumped and had a great time, but that price tag is ridiculous.

Edit - Also, there were at least 5 full commercials before the previews even started. Felt like 15 minutes AT LEAST.

Edit 2 - I actually like Eggers and look forward to seeing this when it is "free" on one of my subscription services lol.
High School kids definitely cant afford to go to the movies for a friday night date now. Its insane how expensive movies are now. Cheaper and more enjoyable to just rent the VOD now.

• 1Solidarity

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Saw this tonight.

Decent attendance for a Sunday night. The doom and gloomer were probably in the wrong, but I guess we'll just need to wait and see what the numbers say.

As for the movie, I was not overly impressed. In a way it's a bit meh because it's half assed. It's not great as some sort of action / epic / revenge tale, it's no Conan or 13th Warrior. It's not great as some sort of arty trance-like initiatory journey, it's no Valhalla Rising or The Revenant. It's ok I guess. It makes me think that this director is severely over rated, but again I have not seen his previous films.
Immediately after finishing this I also thought that it was no Valhalla Rising. This didn't even feel like an Eggers movie after watching his previous two. He does surreal deep dives into specific periods and this just felt like art house viking movie compared to the atmosphere and tone and characterization of The Witch and The Lighthouse. i didn't think that it was bad by any stretch but it is my least favorite Eggers movie by a very long way

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
This was alright. Not crazy amaze, but the bit of combat that we got was entertaining.