The NSA watches you poop.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Unless you want to scrub every fucking router and ISP between you and your point of purchase, it IS inevitable. Unless you want to go all Amish and shun the internet entirely, you are going to have to accept that there is a data trail out there that you have no control over. Honestly I am far more upset at how private enterprise mines this information, rather than the government (though the line between the two has become blurred a lot over time; another topic), but the genie is out of the bottle on this one. That is unless you want to get off the grid and operate only in cash or barter....

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the deafening roar of support from liberals slurping Obama's cock with this and Authorize Use of Military Force and all his other shit. god damn confirmation bias like a mother fucker.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Unless you want to scrub every fucking router and ISP between you and your point of purchase, it IS inevitable.
Bullshit. There is no reason at all the government should have access to it before they even have probable cause.

If the genie is out of the bottle, so what? We can stuff it back in. These programs can be shut down, fines can be assessed and new laws can be passed to stop private companies from collecting data also. At least market forces can help to discourage companies from doing this shit if its more out in the open. Hell, look at all the PS4 vs Xbone stuff. Everyone said auto drm was inevitable, yet market forces are killing the Xbone for trying it.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Unless you want to scrub every fucking router and ISP between you and your point of purchase, it IS inevitable. Unless you want to go all Amish and shun the internet entirely, you are going to have to accept that there is a data trail out there that you have no control over. Honestly I am far more upset at how private enterprise mines this information, rather than the government (though the line between the two has become blurred a lot over time; another topic), but the genie is out of the bottle on this one. That is unless you want to get off the grid and operate only in cash or barter....
The only way it is inevitable is you you accept it. I would like to think that one of the great things about this country is that when a mistake is made, and we recognize it, we the people can call it out and actually have the power to change it. If we lay down and accept "the inevitable", you're just giving power to those who have no reason not to take advantage of it, and are accepting that Might Makes Right.

The pace of technology has far outpaced policy-making in the past 20 years. There is no reason why we can't create updated and relevant policy and implement changes to infrastructure that support the protections provided by the constitution to all citizens in regards to electronic communications as well as physical ones. Standard Mail (which has no been replaced by electronic mail) and phone communications had some of the toughest laws in place to protect the privacy of Americans. Mail delivered by the USPS is sacred, it's considered privileged information. Instead of creating new updated laws to protect our personal information, every step is being taken to exploit that oversight (or inability to keep pace) and force you to consider it inevitable and just accept it. It's the biggest friggin loophole ever. Might as well give in and do some China-Style censorship, as it too is inevitable (we're not too far off anyway). Whistelblowers (even legal ones) and opinion pieces could seriously undermine anti-terrorist efforts or sway public opinion from what the Administration believes is the right course of action. There are plenty of examples of administrations trying to do exactly that, and in the past were thankfully shot down and seen for what they were. If you actually are a big enough pussy to believe in the "inevitable" excuse, then you're giving up your right to say criticize or oppose anything that is done in the future, and give the "gubbament" free reign to do whatever they wish.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I wonder, is there a email address to send things to PRISM? As per the topic of this thread could we make videos of us taking a shit and send it to them?

khalid

Unelected Mod
I wonder, is there a email address to send things to PRISM? As per the topic of this thread could we make videos of us taking a shit and send it to them?
Just take the video of you taking a shit, post it on youtube and label it "Bomb making instruction manual". PRISM will take care fo the rest.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Only if I can "blow my whistle". (umm, I meant flatulate, not blow myself, not that I'd mind being able to)

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am sure a lot of people felt the same way about the printing press, too. Or radio. Or television. Or cell phones. Unless you hit the reset button on civilization, you cannot roll back the tech clock. And the government tabulating existing data sitting in places is a lot different than people getting pissed over DRM and not buying a specific format. The information is out there in a public communications system that people have voluntarily participated in. It sucks, but the reality is that the date is out there for the taking and companies that want to seem patriotic to the scared shitless t-baggers or who (more likely) want to keep their tax breaks for playing ball with the government are going to keep on doing it. And unless all of your transactions and communications occur on one carrier (unlikely in the extreme), one of them "standing up to the man" will not mean shit in terms of privacy. This was the inevitable result of the information age from the first moment Bulletin Boards went live and people dialed into them and a lot of smart people warned of this eventuality. But I am fine with that, because it is a two way road and it actually ultimately makes me feel a lot safer knowing that it is a lot harder for Congressman Babyrapist to be a hypocrite or for the government to get away with extremely shady shit. And the tradeoff in privacy for convenience and access to information is a worthwhile one, in my eyes.

Frankly, the government had access to a lot of personal information before this stuff ever came along. They have been tracking all personal financial transactions ever since the advent of the Social Security number being a requirement to get hired. What has changed is we are approaching the ability to mine that information in drastically more efficient ways, making it a lot more usable than a pile of files in a warehouse guarded by top men.

khalid

Unelected Mod
As technology has progressed, privacy laws and the interpretation of searches have been changed. I guess you forgot about all that though.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No, but ultimately most privacy laws have proven to be fruitless. They either get outright ignored (see Nixon, Reagan, Bush 2) or circumvented by legal manipulation or stoking fear in the general populace (Bush 2, Obama, LBJ) to get them approved. And lets be realistic here. If even a fraction of these Jesus fearing dipshits really knew how much depraved shit was in the internet, they would have absolutely zero problem censoring the shit out of it, which is much worse than monitoring it.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
needs more transparency, if we have to live with this type of thing we need alot better oversight than the fisa court and the cases have to become declassified and released, that's another thing is the dramatic rise in declaring things classified and constantly extending the amount of years until they are declassified.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
HEEQBph.jpg

Looks like it's curtains for Snowden:http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95C0Q920130613

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
But I am fine with that, because it is a two way road and it actually ultimately makes me feel a lot safer knowing that it is a lot harder for Congressman Babyrapist to be a hypocrite or for the government to get away with extremely shady shit. And the tradeoff in privacy for convenience and access to information is a worthwhile one, in my eyes.
Except for the fact that Congressman Babyrapist is the one that has your information, in secret, and not the other way around.

Frankly, the government had access to a lot of personal information before this stuff ever came along. They have been tracking all personal financial transactions ever since the advent of the Social Security number being a requirement to get hired. What has changed is we are approaching the ability to mine that information in drastically more efficient ways, making it a lot more usable than a pile of files in a warehouse guarded by top men.
The difference is that we KNOW what they're doing and how they can use it. It's public. What, how, and why is completely secret in this case. All we know is that the government is STORING personal, private information on us, and we don't even know what that information is, how it is stored, or how it is being used.

I have a technical background. Most of congress does not (I think there are 5 engineers in congress right now). They're going to a 2-3 hour closed briefing and then somehow saying it's all good. That just doesn't make sense. They're obviously not looking at infrastructure, security, coding, the APIs used to grab info on the fly, etc. What's more than likely being discussed is the legal (in the strictest terms) of it. They probably wouldn't understand what they were looking at anyway. Jim Hines (D-CT) is on the intelligence committee and didn't even know about these programs until the traitor spilled his guts (per his CSPAN appearance). Many other reps have grave concerns over it, especially after the briefings.

If the government wants to take public information and sort it, that's fine and dandy. Idiots that don't make their FB accounts private, fine. But secretly mining through private information is completely different. The only reason they're allowed to do it is because lawmakers haven't caught up with technology yet. We don't know that some low level employee in Cincinatti won't be able to run a script and publish all sorts of private information on us, or that some contractor could do the same.

And again, even if the system in place was just so fucking awesome and without bugs, backdoors, or any other issues (Anyone who has been in the software industry knows this stuff is commonplace and constant), the fact still remains that they're collecting your personal, private information without your consent or knowledge. Why are you so adamant about wanting to live in a Big Brother State?