The NSA watches you poop.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It should be detectable, I thought Kasperzky was able to detect past exploitation. Just not preventable!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
They can detect evidence of certain behaviors but you can't actually poll the firmware for an accurate reading of the contents of the firmware. You'd need a separate secure loader or something that can give you the contents of the firmware in order to verify directly.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I'm sure there will be plenty of criminal organizations rolling this out by next year ::eyeroll::

Or, more realistically, it's only being done and will only be done by governments at a super high level. But now that the word is out the vendors will start fixing it and hit the reset until the next insane-mode spyware comes out. In the mean time be sure to buy all new equipment to make sure you're safe* (for now)!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'd be pretty thrilled to be a tech company, get forced to comply secretly with the NSA, and then when the story gets out watch my international sales go into the garbage can because everyone knows my product comes ready made with back doors.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0LT1B220150227

I'm mean, it's not like China is that big a deal. Who would want to sell them anything anyway.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I'm sure there will be plenty of criminal organizations rolling this out by next year ::eyeroll::

Or, more realistically, it's only being done and will only be done by governments at a super high level. But now that the word is out the vendors will start fixing it and hit the reset until the next insane-mode spyware comes out. In the mean time be sure to buy all new equipment to make sure you're safe* (for now)!
I was at a talk about a month ago where a couple of guys showcased some of the NSA tech we have seen, made and miniaturized in their own homes. For sure, someone will do this.

But like Infosec Taylor Swift says, if you are trying to defend against the NSA you're basically a moran. There aren't enough hours in the day or certainly enough dollars in a budget.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I'd be pretty thrilled to be a tech company, get forced to comply secretly with the NSA, and then when the story gets out watch my international sales go into the garbage can because everyone knows my product comes ready made with back doors.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/0...0LT1B220150227

I'm mean, it's not like China is that big a deal. Who would want to sell them anything anyway.
fnoNjd3.gif

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
I was at a talk about a month ago where a couple of guys showcased some of the NSA tech we have seen, made and miniaturized in their own homes. For sure, someone will do this.

But like Infosec Taylor Swift says, if you are trying to defend against the NSA you're basically a moran. There aren't enough hours in the day or certainly enough dollars in a budget.
A fully loaded 747 would have done the trick nicely.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
So is it no longer your property making any illegal substances contained therein pointless or is anything you put outside fair game?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
How is that news? In VA there are people who straight up go through peoples garbage, when you put it on the curb you give up property rights or whatever. If they had to come onto your property or in a garage or something I could see being all rharglbhargl dramabomb over it, that's fucked up. But if Leroy the Can Guy can do it legally I don't see why the police can't.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm imagining a Syfy series of CSI: Retards where they have all these expensive forensic lab tools and state-of-the-art smartboards but instead of using it they simply go out and solve the crime in a couple hours after digging through trash because dumb criminals.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
yeah they said the cops can come on your property to look in the trash from what I saw

No privacy in your trash, Minnesota Supreme Court rules | NewsCut | Minnesota Public Radio News
The ruling has to do with trash 'on the curb' in the article you write.

Still, the problem with rulings like this is that they are never bold lines in the sand for police, but rather yet more leverage for abuse. The next time they'll see it 'right next to the porch' and say they were 'acting on good faith' believing this ruling allowed them access so the judge will admit evidence and precedent will be set. Etc., etc.