The OA

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
So in defense of the show, the rest of it was really fucking good.

Massive spoiler, explaining the entire plot:
The plot of the story is basically, this woman (Prairie) has been missing for 7 years. She shows back up on a bridge which she then leaps off of, it being captured on video. Her parents receive a phone call that it may be their daughter. They go to the hospital and Prairie says, "Who are these people?" Cue her mother putting Prairie's hands on her face (and saying "mom?"), and the father says she's never seen us cause she was blind. Oh, and she doesn't recognize her name, and instead wants to be called "The OA." The real interesting part is she gathers up these 5 people, and she's telling her story.

She claims she was the daughter of this rich Russian guy (oil tycoon) and she gets these weird premonitions. She has one about drowning, and sure enough, eventually her and a bunch of other rich kids have their bus go off a bridge and they all drown. She goes to some weird starry looking place and this woman asks her if she wants to go back, which she replies yes; the caveat being she has to give up something, which is her sight. She gets adopted by the above family (not before some other shit that doesn't matter much).

Prairie starts having premonitions about meeting her (now dead) father again on her 21st birthday at the Statue of Liberty, so she runs away to NYC. Her father doesn't show, so she starts being a hobo and playing violin in the subway. Some guy approaches her and asks her if she died and came back to life. Mind fuck begins. He says he does research on near death events (NDE's) and convinces her to come with him to participate in his study. Unfortunately she gets there and realizes she's been abducted and there are other prisoners there. It's a kind of awesome setup; the guy builds a compound at some abandoned mine area far from civilization. Underground he builds his prison with a small stream that runs through it, and these plexiglass cells that are all adjoined. Over time she gains his trust (because she's blind) and tries to poison him, another prisoner is dead, yada yada and a bunch of other shit happens. Prairie also escapes at some point, but when she realizes she's trapped by the fact that this place was built around a mine, she gets smacked in the back of the head by her captor (goes by 'Hap'). Aaaaaand, she gains her vision back. But Hap doesn't know this. The fucky part starts now too though, because while she was dead from the smack to the head, she eats a fucking bird that I guess teaches her dancing.

Every couple weeks one of them gets gassed. They eventually figure out that it's just something to make them forget, so they devise a way to suck the air from the intended victim's cell so that the person remains conscious. It's at this point that they learn the guy is putting them in this contraption that fills with water to drown them, because these people don't die and he wants to know where they go. This takes dozens of attempts though, each time with these people drowning over and over. Homer, one of the prisoners, is the one that gets drowned the most. Prairie tells him to eat something alive to bring it back when he dies. He finally remains conscious enough and in his death he eats a fish....and learns to dance.

One of the other guys I guess is sick for some reason and says that if Hap takes him again, he's not coming back. He's taken to the experimental machine where he begs for his life with information. He tells Hap that Prairie can see now. The experiment goes wrong, dude dies, and Hap dumps his body in the cell while yelling at the others that they did this, and he's pissed about Prairie lying. For some reason, Prairie and Homer start doing their two dances together (apparently for 11 hours), and the dead guy is revived. They figure out that they're angels, and they call Hap the "Angel Hunter." Prairie thinks that the 5 dances (can't remember why she thought 5) are the key to opening a portal to an alternate dimension. Now they play the waiting game.

Hap finds a 5th prisoner, but she doesn't want to come. He forces Homer to come along to seduce her. Plan: success. Eventually 4 of the 5 of them die and learn their dance move. The 5th prisoner never gets one. Hap has been watching the prisoners and realizes what's up, and he learns the dance moves too.

Eventually the sheriff comes and Hap has headphones on and doesn't hear him enter the house. He's immediately arrested, but Hap convinces him that his captors perform miracles and can cure his ALS ridden wife. Dumb shit sheriff drives him off like he's being arrested, but instead picks up his wife to bring back to Hap's dungeon of angels. Prairie and Homer do their fucky dances with the sheriff's wife and she wakes up saying that she has the 5th and final dance. Homer and Prairie hug and Hap loses his shit, killing the sheriff and his wife, and then takes Prairie to the middle of nowhere and drops her off, saying that she'll never find her friends again.

That kind of summarizes the 7 years. In the present, she's trying to teach these 4 kids and their teacher the dance moves so that they can open the portal for her. Most of the shit in the present day is fucking retarded though. One of the kids, in the final episode, breaks into Prairie's house in the middle of the night and finds a bunch of books that seem an awful lot like she drew inspiration from them (Homer's 'The Illiad,' a book about NDE's, and some other shit). Prairie had been seeing an FBI psychologist, and for some reason he's also in the house and stops the kid. Then hugs him. None of this shit makes sense. And then we get that finale scene, where the kids do the fucky dance and apparently save the day.

So reading that, there was a really fucking cool plotline somewhere hidden in that. But it just went all kinds of weird when it didn't need to. There's a reason why a lot of people were drawn in for several episodes. But by about episode 4 or 5 some of that weird shit started creeping in. By episode 8 it was a trainwreck.
Shouldn't she have recognized her parents from the voices? No face touching required. I just can't understand how anyone wrote this and thought dance therapy needed to be a plot device.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shouldn't she have recognized her parents from the voices? No face touching required. I just can't understand how anyone wrote this and thought dance therapy needed to be a plot device.
Maybe. That's such a minor scene though. It was literally like 5 seconds, and mostly irrelevant to the plot. I only included it for back story. The bulk of the show is in 3rd-5th paragraphs of my synopsis. That part was interesting, but dragged a bit (luckily some of these episodes were like 30-40 minutes, instead of 1 hour).

You also don't even know the half of it. There are sounds that go with the dancing. That's really the point my wife and I had to start laughing at the ridiculousness of this show.

Caliane

I don't know how you made it past the serial killer being one of the misunderstood protagonists.

I will say, pseudoscience/mysticism could explain the dance if they wanted to.

Language and communication is a key element to human civilization. but is not universal to life.
Dancing is much more basic, and IS seen across the animal kingdom. Could even argue plants phototropsim, or at least flower displays for pollenation. Mating dances/rituals. Bee communication, spiders, and other insects. you could very much create a story element around dancing as a primal subliminal/"lizard-brain" force. And then can even take it further with supernatural elements. Same deal, dancing is very well known in tribal rituals, pagan, etc. dancing and ancient magics forgotten could easily be tied together in a narrative.

so, you don't suggest they made any such allusions, or suggestions. but, you totally could.

Last edited:

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
They went to Lost levels of ridiculousness with the dances. The secret of the universe is to flail your arms around like retards.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Thanks gravel. My wife watched this over the weekend and wouldn't tell me anything about it. She just said it was kind of like Stranger Things, and if she told me anything else, it would be a spoiler. Now that I've seen the ridiculous dance I can make an informed decision about whether I want the full experience.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Glad to hear it. Also make me happy that I actually went ahead and posted all that crap, because explaining it doesn't do it justice.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
The high school student shit was definitely ridiculous and really hurt the first episode. Luckily for most of the rest of it, that didn't play much part in the show; it was there, but in short enough sequences to not be too jarring. In fact, my wife had started watching it and I saw the 2nd half of the 2nd episode, and that's when I decided to go back and watch it from the beginning. I'm not sure if I would have stuck with it had I not seen the 2nd episode first.

I was going to make a post about the final episode in spoilers, but the whole thing was just so ridiculous that even if I did, none of it would make sense to someone who hadn't watched it but just wants to know how it ends.

I guess I will anyway, and you can wtf at it.

The finale scene is the group of kids (who Prairie has been telling her story to) back with their original group of friends at lunch in the high school. We see a kid walking outside towards the building (at which point I said to my wife, "Holy shit, was this entire setup just a PSA about school bullying?"). We slowly notice that he's got body armor and an M-4 looking carbine with a ton of magazines. One of the kids notices and tackles another to the ground to get him out of the way before shots start firing outside the building.

So, here's where it's even worse. The premise of the story is that Prairie is an angel (the "Original Angel" or OA), and the other captives were also angels. But their angel power is limited to not dying, and dancing. Each of the 5 captive angels learns a different portion of some super awkward dance. The 5 dances together are...who the fuck knows? It's never actually explained. And worse than that still, in the last episode it's heavily hinted at that Prairie is actually just a nut job and stole from a bunch of literary works to make up her story. It's ambiguous though. So anyway, Prairie taught the students (and 1 teacher) her angel dance moves. And they're fucking RIDICULOUS looking.

With that explanation out of the way, the school...the shooter makes his way into the cafeteria. The Prairie story group (4 kids and teacher) give each other eye/head nods, like they know what they need to do. They all get up and start doing their awkward angel dance. I should also mention that Prairie had a premonition that this would all happen, so she runs to the school while this is taking place. The real hero of the story, a cafeteria worker, tackles the shooter while they were doing their angel dance, and the shooter lets off a few rounds that hit Prairie. She's taken away in an ambulance, the kid who throat punched the other kid chases it saying "take me with you" and the show ends.

Cue disappointment at what the fuck you just witnessed.

Edit: Wow, I even found the scene (for now).

This...all sounds like the opposite of cool or interesting.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
bahahha my wife and I went into it blind and watched the whole shit in a few days, what a fucking joke. We laughed almost every time that dance shit came up, and we were just dying at the end. Really, someone said it, but the only hero in this shows it the fucken lunchman who gets 3 seconds on screen.

I actually thought, when the dude was like "those sounds are from jupiter that's where you're going", we were getting into aliens territory and that would have been fun, but noooo, it's all a big fat lie

whole thing is a giant trollolololol

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
As goofy as the dancing was, the show was still salvageable. They could have had something interesting happen. But nah, they passed on that.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm sorry!

In my defense, the show really was intriguing. The first few episodes I was like, "damn, I can't wait to see where this goes." But then, well, it got to the "fucky" part (in my edit on the 2nd post).

Had they cut out some of the idiocy and written the characters a bit better, it probably could've been a good show.

I agree. The show was flawed from the start and felt low budget, but the story was enough to draw me in and keep me intrigued. It was one of those shows I had a hard time turning off because I'd want to see where things were going. But, even then, I didn't recommend the show to someone because it's one of those shows where you know how good it is depends on how well it's able to tie everything together... and reaching the end,
you can't help but feel as duped as the kids who sat around and listened to Prairie's bullshit for several hours.

Ultimately, this show feels like someone was determined to prove their father wrong when he told them their degree in interpretive dance would never amount to anything.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
As goofy as the dancing was, the show was still salvageable. They could have had something interesting happen. But nah, they passed on that.

That's why it's a great troll. I mean, me and my wife watched it through, a few episodes a day, whereas a lot of shit we try an episode or two and turn it off.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Fuck that ending. Double salt for being so incredibly shit that there's zero chance of a second season to make it not worthless ;p

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Started watching this in HDR but was really distracted by the contrast/color levels, really "pale" and over saturated almost washed out

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Started watching this in HDR but was really distracted by the contrast/color levels, really "pale" and over saturated almost washed out

These are the least of your problems heading into this show.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck that ending. Double salt for being so incredibly shit that there's zero chance of a second season to make it not worthless ;p

I've heard that any show Netflix develops gets a two season commitment. I don't think they've ever actually come out and said that, but so far it's held true. There's been some shows (like Stranger Things) where Netflix announces a second season before the first even airs. I hope it's true for OA, mainly because I want to see just how convoluted and batshit crazy this show can get.

Toony

Molten Core Raider
I liked it, flawed yes but It kept me wanting more. Oh and...

1*H1vTC8IcBdUez-PJBOtM6g.gif

1*H1vTC8IcBdUez-PJBOtM6g.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
SHIT! binged this w/ the wife over the break.

Fuck, i knew i should have checked if there was a FOH thread first, we just did a netflix search at friends house and started watching.

Let's examine how TOTALLY unprofessional everyone is.

First, lemme drop this on ya'll.

I was this after R1, then i'm like why the fuck does this FBI Paki counselor look familiar, he's not Abed from community, then my wife is like, oh, that's the Paki pilot from R1, he's just clean shaven, imdb... holy shit wife is on point.

They really have FBI counselors that just appear in their victims homes in the middle of the night for no reason and let criminals who break in and enter go?

Crazy necro doctor, naw hell naw, TWO crazy necro doctors, remember main crazy necro doctor had to kill his crazy necro doctor friend, cuz the friend went crazy on him!!! Da FUQ+!

I'm sure ALS destroys a loved ones life, it looks horrible, but how are you gonna be a sherrif and not think that the once respectable doctor is some crazy nut once you discover his dungeon of terror, along with going along with his fucked up african dance o healing.

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't know how you made it past the serial killer being one of the misunderstood protagonists.

Wtf? What serial killer was a misunderstood protagonist?

The show should have been really good, but they just made the most needlessly bizarre choices that really bring it down.