The OA

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I could get past the whole dancing thing, goofy looking for sure, but you can do some stretches to defend that if you were so inclined. Say what you want about the show, it hooked me into binge watching it. There were definitely some cringe worthy scenes, but also some really good ones.

I would have rated this show pretty high up until the last episode. I really don't know what the fuck they were thinking, and maybe were rushed to just finish it up. Only way I can explain how you have a show with pretty good attention to detail just go fucking half-wit in the last episode like that. Between the FBI dude, the rushed "maybe it was all a story" angle, and that final school shooting scene everything just collapsed on itself.

I get you can never wrap up every story point in a show like this, but ANYTHING would have made for a better ending.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Wow this show was like taking LOST's full regression from interesting to wtf is this shit and condensing it down to 8 episodes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This show is a great example of how original ideas and stories often need a script Dr. to come in and un-fuck their work. They lost their way and meandered on pointless plot lines, had totally undeveloped place-holder characters that were unnecessary, and then rushed an ending so sloppily that it really drags the entire series down to 'meh' at best.

The fact that they made that ridiculous dance such a big part of the show tells me that this was all written by a self absorbed cuck, who is completely without shame. Those poor actors will probably never work again that shit was SO fucking awful.

There is an interesting story somewhere in all of this mess... A blind girl goes missing, abducted for 7 years, shows back up with a wild story, changed, and seemingly some supernatural powers. She makes new friends and tries to help them with the problems in their lives, all to some greater purpose. Is she real? Is she crazy? Is she a charlatan? They were close to pulling it off, but they fucked it up.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks gravel. My wife watched this over the weekend and wouldn't tell me anything about it. She just said it was kind of like Stranger Things, and if she told me anything else, it would be a spoiler. Now that I've seen the ridiculous dance I can make an informed decision about whether I want the full experience.

Honestly even with the goofy dancing weirdness overall I did enjoy the first season of it. The ending is very much a what the holy fucking fuck but it honestly makes a bit of sense given the whole thing is about near death experiences.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I really wanted to like this. Love the general premise behind the show, the first few episodes were great. Then the acting seemed to get progressively worse and more campy by the end, and then the last episode just shit on the entire season. Not just shit on it, shit on it and set the shit on fire. Just horrible. I thought maybe at worst we'd end up getting a convoluted plotliine/story like "The Leftovers", but it makes that mediocre show look like Shakespeare.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What. The. Fuck?

Finished Travelers a week or two ago, was on a pretty good Netflix high, so wanted to watch either this or 3%. I saw the first post here saying not to watch the trailer if you didn't want a ton of shit spoiled, so I stopped reading and pretty much just went off the fact that 3% had a Netflix rating of 3.something and The OA was like 4.5+. The OA must be better then, right?? P.S. I don't blame Gravel either, I was sucked in for the first several episodes as well, and if the ending had been even remotely satisfactory I guess I'd probably be ok with it as a whole. Not 4.5/5 though, not even close. The people I blame are the fuckers that rated this fucking show so fucking high! They either didn't finish it and just rated it based on what they watched, or are too dumb to realize they just got mind-raped.

I finished episode 7 last night and should have gone to bed, but the episode ended with her saying, "Now I'll tell you the end of the story" or whatever. So I stayed up later than I should have because I just had to fucking know how it all ended. And at the end, I literally sat there with my mouth open and a "WTF?" in the air. I can't think of another series that has fucked me so hard with the ending. I was let down by Lost, but it at least made some sense and gave some closure. This ending made no sense, gave no closure, and was retarded as fuck. The only reason I would ever watch a second season is to see if they can somehow unfuck what they've done, and more likely to just laugh at how fucking retarded it is.

I could reiterate what everyone else has complained about (Jesus fuck that dancing shit was fucking retarded), but to not just repeat things, I've got one observation that would have, seemingly, made a big fucking difference I would think. In Episode 1: Quest for Internet, when she's doing everything she can to search for Homer, she finally finds him, right? Some video about him coming out of his coma or whatever. (I just went and replayed that scene and yep, his name is fucking Homer Roberts, and the video is from 2007) Yet later on when that dude breaks into her room and finds the Iliad, they act like she made all that shit up. Wouldn't they have found the real fucking Homer in all their internet searching for Hap? They scour the fucking internet for anything even vaguely related to her story, and manage to find that clip of her playing in the subway, so you can't expect me to believe that they never saw that clip of Homer to prove that he is actually a real fucking person. And that he's been fucking missing for 7+ years. Or am I taking fucking crazy pills??

You can tell that they ran out of steam halfway through this series because the first episodes are all 1 hour plus, and the later ones get substantially shorter. In retrospect I guess I should have worried that the star of the show was also the writer too. I have no fucking clue how this ever got made, unless they just showed them ideas for the first few episodes and hand-waved the ending. Of course, that Netflix original movie Coin Heist was an abomination too, so apparently someone at Netflix is just throwing money at literal piles of shit and hoping some of them have diamonds hidden in them.

God I hate this fucking show for fucking me in the ass. And the people that rated it 4 and 5 fucking stars.

EDIT: Oh, I do want to say that there was one shining star in this show, and it was the little girl that played Nina (Prairie) as a young girl. She was awesome. That's the only thing good I can take away from this show.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't trust Netflix ratings, trust ours... and contribute, now that you have watched the whole thing.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I stopped 3% about 5 minutes in to it. Subtitles are worse then this show is.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The fact that they made that ridiculous dance such a big part of the show tells me that this was all written by a self absorbed cuck, who is completely without shame. Those poor actors will probably never work again that shit was SO fucking awful.
Yeah, I just had to quote myself there. I had no idea that the chick main-character was also the creator and writer of the show. LOL, it makes so much sense now.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Not 4.5/5 though, not even close. The people I blame are the fuckers that rated this fucking show so fucking high! They either didn't finish it and just rated it based on what they watched, or are too dumb to realize they just got mind-raped.
Netflix ratings are auto generated based on how much Netflix thinks you personally will like the show. My wife and I have separate profiles and shit has different ratings on hers than on mine.

• 1Solidarity

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Netflix ratings are auto generated based on how much Netflix thinks you personally will like the show. My wife and I have separate profiles and shit has different ratings on hers than on mine.
No shit? I did not know that. That makes a lot more sense then, because there is no fucking way this pile of shit is 4.5 stars across all viewers. Thanks for the info!

ex-genj

Golden Squire
eh. I really enjoyed 1-7 so not all that surprising. Obviously the end was garbage but everyone loved True Detective S1 until the end as well so we'll see. Of course that show is not exactly well thought of at this point.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Well that's retarded. I always considered their ratings complete BS because pretty much everything is 4+ stars, but I guess it's because I use the same profile as my wife and kids.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
"We use a recommendation algorithm that takes certain factors into consideration, such as: The genres of movies and TV shows available. Your streaming history, and previous ratings you've made. The combined ratings of all Netflix members who have similar tastes in titles to you."

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
"We use a recommendation algorithm that takes certain factors into consideration, such as: The genres of movies and TV shows available. Your streaming history, and previous ratings you've made. The combined ratings of all Netflix members who have similar tastes in titles to you."
Well, those similar tasting members are, apparently, fucking retarded!

Thanks though, I never knew that before you posted it previously. Here I was thinking it actually meant something.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Rants about the show here are better than actually watching it!

Thank you Gang!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel like ranting about this Netflix thing. I'm really annoyed by this now.

It's like a double whammy, because Netflix already recommends you shows based on what you've watched; but now on top of that the realization that they're also rating them based on what I've watched. My jimmies can't handle this.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I feel like ranting about this Netflix thing. I'm really annoyed by this now.

It's like a double whammy, because Netflix already recommends you shows based on what you've watched; but now on top of that the realization that they're also rating them based on what I've watched. My jimmies can't handle this.

I basically completely ignore the rating system and just judge whether or not I watch most shows based on what I read here. FOH is full of the most cynical and self-loathing somebitches around. Its like we want to find shit so we can hate it.

Thus any positive recommendation is generally A++ and totally worth watching.

• 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's definitely true. I come here for actual movie and TV recommendations after I find something that gets good reviews elsewhere.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I did come here though! I just stopped reading because I didn't want to spoil myself, and Gravel totally misled me!

(Just kidding Gravel, although that's pretty much what happened! I was fooled by the first couple episodes too.)

• 1Like