The OA

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If you were a school shooter and suddenly a bunch of people in the middle of it start doing some weird interpretive dance I am pretty sure you would pause for a few seconds in just sheer WTF is happening allowing somebody an opening to tackle you which is basically what happened. It is just such a weird fucking response to the situation freezing to try to figure out what they are doing seems to be a pretty legit reaction.
You'd react to people getting up and running in your direction by immediately trying to shoot them, not waiting to see what they do.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just binged both seasons this weekend.

I like it. I can see how people would be pissed by season 1's ending without having season 2 immediately playing afterwards, but when you get to binge both at once it makes the season 1 ending a worthy mindfuck.

The show does a great job of keeping you watching in anticipation of answers which are slowly doled out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
Just binged both seasons this weekend.

I like it. I can see how people would be pissed by season 1's ending without having season 2 immediately playing afterwards, but when you get to binge both at once it makes the season 1 ending a worthy mindfuck.

The show does a great job of keeping you watching in anticipation of answers which are slowly doled out.

I'm still in season one because 4 episodes in and nothing has been explained and I'm just getting bored. I'm about to just read cliff notes and skip to the end of the season.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I really enjoyed this show overall despite having some ridiculously cringeworthy and inexplicable moments. The worst aspects by far were the forced social/political messaging, but maybe I'm just getting used to it as I rolled my eyes but kept watching. Every few episodes I was sure the show was about to jump the rails and become an unwatchable trainwreck, but they always managed to get it back on track. By the end of the first season I was pretty dubious. Halfway through the second I was genuinely hooked. Maybe the potential for it to be great or dogshit at every moment helped the meta viewing experience or something. I think in the hands of writers/actors/producers who were less interested in pushing a social agenda and a little less self-aware this could have been some of the more amazing TV ever, but damn my eyes I really enjoyed the show and feel that overall it ended up leaning more towards greatness than dogshit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I really enjoyed this show overall despite having some ridiculously cringeworthy and inexplicable moments. The worst aspects by far were the forced social/political messaging, but maybe I'm just getting used to it as I rolled my eyes but kept watching. Every few episodes I was sure the show was about to jump the rails and become an unwatchable trainwreck, but they always managed to get it back on track. By the end of the first season I was pretty dubious. Halfway through the second I was genuinely hooked. Maybe the potential for it to be great or dogshit at every moment helped the meta viewing experience or something. I think in the hands of writers/actors/producers who were less interested in pushing a social agenda and a little less self-aware this could have been some of the more amazing TV ever, but damn my eyes I really enjoyed the show and feel that overall it ended up leaning more towards greatness than dogshit.

Imho there are a few things that make this show great:

1) The anticipation of how the crew will escape their prison
2) The confusion over whether OA is crazy, or has actually tapped into dimensional travel, is very well done
3) The whole personas in a different dimension, such as the Doc being a psychiatrist in season 2
4) The discovery that you don't need the dance to travel, and the reveal of the tiny "dance bots" as a mode of travel was super cool

My main complaints are inconsistent pacing, and the haunted house thing was a bit overdone. I didn't notice much SJW stuff besides that trans kid and gay indian kid making out with a dude, both of which were cringe.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I will give this to the OA they took one of the weirdest fucking premises and managed to make a pretty interesting show out of it and the second season at least to me seemed to be a lot more consistent overall. Less random interpretive dance and a bit more clear sense of where they are moving towards.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They went from stupid weird with the dance stuff from season 1 to fucked up and interesting weird this season.

Was only watching to pass some time and wasn't into it until the octopus showed up.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Finished it, and Christ I want some of the drugs the writers were taking.

If anyone liked the first season other than the silly dancing stuff, give season 2 a try as it has a coherent (albeit bizarre l) concept and has turned into decent sci-fi. It is most definitely unique and unapologetic about its weirdness.

• 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Yeah, holy shit. I gave up after about 1 episode when it first aired. I just went back and binged seasons 1-2. In hindsight I don't even hate season 1 anymore.

This is actual good sci fi with memorable and reasonably well written characters. Some truly bizarre and WTF moments but in a very good way. I'd rate it up there with Travelers.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this is why foh is good, i forgot about this show, i thought it was a season 1 and done and just saw some dumb school shooter get wierded out by a stupid dance. Then i'm like, why is this thread getting updates? oh theres a s2? maybe... and yea s2 makes the whole series watchable.

i mean it has a lot of flaws still, i hated the cop as a POV character and his own world... oh look two dirtbag white cops! gee i wonder whats gonna happen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok fuck, this bitch has basically made 3 movies that if you cobble the plots together equals the oa
b4c60548ade6a5514b516cb6b1b02446.png

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
She's also in

Which has some similar concepts. Decent weird little movie.

Trailer here, but I wouldn't watch past 1:20 as it spoils way too much

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Sad about this as taking the real OA into a world where she was an actress playing the OA was such a fucking great premise that I had to keep watching.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I switched to The Colony after banging out season1 and ep1 of season 2 yesterday. Sounds like I should switch back and give it a solid shake.