The Official Guitar Thread

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The tuner in Bias fx2/amp2 isn't horrible. I've got a Peterson StroboClip I like and they have a software version of there tuners I've wanted to get but not at the price they want.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The tuner in Bias fx2/amp2 isn't horrible. I've got a Peterson StroboClip I like and they have a software version of there tuners I've wanted to get but not at the price they want.

Have that Peterson tuner as well, works great and nice interface

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Snark's are cheap and reliable afaik. I want to get a tuner pedal eventually, or some sort of MFX pedal with it built in.

I managed to practice 70 hours last month. This month isn't starting great since I've already skipped a day, but I'm going to try to focus on fretboard/theory/scale memorization and ear training. I have a hard time with intervals, but I'm finding I can pick out simple melodies fairly easy. I don't want to get hung up on note positions, repetitive scales and progressions, but I think it would do me some good to know them without having to think about it.

This really is an amazing time to learn guitar or any musical instrument. I can go on youtube and learn bits of most songs I loved as a kid in half an hour. And the more I practice every day, the less trouble I have learning new things, so it's encouraging.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It is pretty amazing what info you can get a hold of these days. When I was a kid it was pretty much magazine articles, hanging out in music shops until they kick you out. I got super lucky with a high school music teacher who was fucking great, wrote his own musicals for the choir/drama dept. We won state madrigals a few years in a row but the best thing he ever did for me was I was his teachers aid all through high school which he spent teaching me music theory. My junior/senior years I was running a jazz band before school started and he was always around to help us. He basically got me into Berklee.

• 2Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
It is pretty amazing what info you can get a hold of these days. When I was a kid it was pretty much magazine articles, hanging out in music shops until they kick you out. I got super lucky with a high school music teacher who was fucking great, wrote his own musicals for the choir/drama dept. We won state madrigals a few years in a row but the best thing he ever did for me was I was his teachers aid all through high school which he spent teaching me music theory. My junior/senior years I was running a jazz band before school started and he was always around to help us. He basically got me into Berklee.
Yeah I had a great band teacher, I have no idea how I would have learned without them back in the day, youtube is amazing now, fucking kids are lucky. I also have noticed over the last few years how much easier it is to learn now that I'm older, young me would get so discouraged when he didn't see loads of progress quickly, old me knows it is a process and takes forever to get good at things, old me also understands it is a hobby and supposed to be fun and ill never be or need to be as good as a professional

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seconding the Snark. I've had one for years and it's extremely reliable.
Awesome I ordered a Snark, one of my struggles I think is the double strings, I tune g1, then tune g2 and 1 is off again and then once they both seem in tune I play them together and that isn't in tune, need alot more practice with this.

Tidalwave

Trakanon Raider
I have found with a bunch of tuners that by the time I get through all the strings the guitar doesn't sound in tune. I basically just tune the low E and then use harmonics for the rest. works like a charm. Back in the day it was a tuning fork for low E.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Depends if you guys have a floating trem. Everyone has their methods but I usually tune 6th string, then 1st, then 5th, etc.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just go through low to high a few times until it's in tune on my guitar with a tremelo. The others I don't have much problem with after a put some pencil graphite in the nut/ bridge string slots and started using the locking string wrap. I was surprised to find that even my cheapo Harley bentons stay in tune from day to day unless there are crazy temperature swings.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Upgrading tuners is also an upgrade a lot of people forget about. I'm very used to my Floyd rose and the pain in the ass it can be. They also ordered locking tuners on this kiesel, but I've used them without Floyd's and they're awesome.

I thought about getting them on my Gibson but it feels sacrilegious

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've got locking tuners on all my electrics, just way to convenient to not have them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Okay last NGD post for awhile (in fact I'm going to sell the S2 594 this weekend), but got a crazy deal on the below. 2019 PRS Paul's Guitar, 10 top.

Paid $2399 out the door, in absolutely mint condition. Only annoyance was, it had to have a complete set up which I'm working on now (new strings on, oiled fretboard, now working the truss) but cannot believe how nice this thing is. As beautiful to play as it is to look at. Reckon I'll keep this one for a while - think the dilweed at Guitar Center priced it wrong, as this is a $4600 guitar brand now and there isn't a single hairline scratch on the thing. Oh well, fuck you Guitar Center!

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Damn dude. I'd never own a PRS, but I admire the way they look and sound. You can tell they bleed quality.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
HONZ Tech ToneWood Amp for Acoustic Guitar , can't click on it. I'll look at Andertons. I have no use for it now but it looked interesting. I played it thr my regular guitar amp, deluxe reverb. I can't turn down the reverb enough. I'll probably never play it through an amp just curious. Probably sound 10x better thru a small acoustic amp.

From the email.

Coming in at about the size of a cell phone that instantly adds reverb, delay, echo and more effects to your acoustic's natural unplugged tone, the HONZ Tech ToneWood Amp is a revolution for the acoustic guitar.

Wow that thing is really cool, I had no idea such a thing existed

Only $249 too

Would be fun to take it out busking and blow people's minds with delay coming from an acoustic soundhole lol

• 2Like