The Official Guitar Thread

Headstock in the sun. My '78 Takamine F-375S.
0608001450.jpg

Tuning a good acoustic, I find, is kind of enjoyable. At a certain point the instrument starts to just lock in and ring and its nice to DIY it. Got good ears from my Mom's side.

But I don't play in front of crowds where time might be an issue lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's not as bad as it sounds and learning it is beneficial

Just if you do the truss rod wrong you can snap it
I tried to follow your instructions made the buzzing worse, i took it to my buddy he is going to do a full setup for me, needs to move the bridge a bit and lower the nut too, he gave me some more tips so hopefully when he has it at a better starting point I can maintain from there.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I tried to follow your instructions made the buzzing worse, i took it to my buddy he is going to do a full setup for me, needs to move the bridge a bit and lower the nut too, he gave me some more tips so hopefully when he has it at a better starting point I can maintain from there.
It's an artform. It's one of those things when once you learn it it makes perfect sense

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
NGD! Finally grabbed an Gibson ES-175. Its a 2007 with a pretty wicked flame.

qkvic7atlc8eoqesooaj.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Switching to acoustic is almost like learning to play again lol. Finger picking is easier, I haven't just done straight chords in a long time.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've been watching a lot of Michael Palmisano's Guitar teacher reacts videos. I've come to like it quite a bit. Really good guitar player and worth listening to his commentary. Has some good lessons on his channel as well.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I've been watching a lot of Michael Palmisano's Guitar teacher reacts videos. I've come to like it quite a bit. Really good guitar player and worth listening to his commentary. Has some good lessons on his channel as well.

I started watching that guy recently too. Check out his react video to Goose "Arcadia." Great band and great tune. He was totally digging it

• 2Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I like his stuff. He did a fun interview with Tom Bukovac recently.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm a fan too. He's a great player. Good ear. I enjoy watching him figure out tunes he's never heard on the fly.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
added a few new things to my setup...

was gifted an old Yamaha PSR-38 keyboard from 1990, thought I was just getting a cheapo arranger keyboard but it's actually got MIDI functionality, so now i've got a ghetto way to send MIDI clock to my Ditto X4 looper finally. complete with 20 different drum beats to sync to! hahahaha :) and instead of entering a BPM i'm stuck with setting my tempo to #s 1-35 via this chart i had to print out from the manual i found online :p

tempos.PNG

added on a Caline Tantrum distortion pedal with a separate boost foot switch. remember one of my last posts was debating between adding boost or a second distortion -- why not both, for $33 from Amazon?

and then an Azor noise gate to help with the obnoxious DC hum I was getting from my old distortion (vintage 90s DOD Grunge, handme down, not by choice), but this Caline isn't nearly as noisy so it's not that necessary anymore

so now my signal chain... aw hell i should just draw it and take a picture, i'll post that from my phone tho :p

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
IMG_20200611_175553.jpg

More than half that gear is hand-me-downs, including both amps.

The Grunge distortion has the bass/gain/volume pretty much cranked and only rarely gets turned on to add an extra rumble underneath a part that already has distortion from the Tantrum. Works really well in the Isis cover I've been doing.

Both splits in the lines are simple Y cables, really need to get an ABY box.

I had the Yamaha patched in a step earlier in the chain, so I could add delay to it as well, but it was sucking too much tone from the guitar that way. I think it's because of the difference between high/low impedance sources? Just starting to learn all the gear and recording shit tho after focusing on playing for 17 years

Borzak

I'm considering going opening pandoras box. I've been writing a lot since I have a lot of time on my hands. Writing a lot of poetry and I've gotten a fair amount of good feedback. I post it on facebook and normally get more likes than I have friends by about a 2:1 margin. I'm considering going down the hole and trying my hand at songwriting something small. I've never done it before. I don't know why I think this but might be easier on the acoustic. I've been playing electric for almost 20 years and never thought about it.

• 2Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
got my mando back from my buddy and it sounds much better after his setup, i had apparently cranked the bridge way too low. He also said that is was one of the best mandolins at this price range he has seen, nut and frets where all perfect, he is used to seeing the frets be too high or uneven. He did break a few strings but he restrung it with 10s instead of the 12s that it came with so my fingers can get acclimated. He also said he recommends I upgrade the tuners and since he is a dealer he can get them for me at cost so I'll have to do that soon I guess. So much fun practicing this thing.

• 1Like

Borzak

I tried to get my wife into play the mandolin. Would fit in with my music a lot. A friend I know plays it and I've been dropping some pretty large hints on what she practice. Otherwise known as beggin lol. I'd love to sit in and play with her once I get up to speed on my acoustic.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That shit blows my mind how quickly he can do that.
I'm certainly not as quick as him - but just force yourself to sit down and learn songs by ear. I needed to do it for a few cover sets that didn't have tabs. I Was awful at the start but by the end I Was getting quicker. You start to notice similarities and with bands you'll notice they use a lot of the same techniques and patterns over and over.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm considering going opening pandoras box. I've been writing a lot since I have a lot of time on my hands. Writing a lot of poetry and I've gotten a fair amount of good feedback. I post it on facebook and normally get more likes than I have friends by about a 2:1 margin. I'm considering going down the hole and trying my hand at songwriting something small. I've never done it before. I don't know why I think this but might be easier on the acoustic. I've been playing electric for almost 20 years and never thought about it.

man, i write so much music, but i'm horrible at writing words. i come up with about one stanza a year. its always so hard for me to avoid feeling like my own lyrics are cheesy. i've been saying for years that i need someone to write lyrics for me, to be Peter Sinfield to my Robert Fripp, Robert Palmer-James to my John Wetton.

Borzak

man, i write so much music, but i'm horrible at writing words. i come up with about one stanza a year. its always so hard for me to avoid feeling like my own lyrics are cheesy. i've been saying for years that i need someone to write lyrics for me, to be Peter Sinfield to my Robert Fripp, Robert Palmer-James to my John Wetton.

What I listen to when I write poetry makes a huge impact on what I write. My wife reads it and will comment, I've heard this before. Oh wait I got that from a song let me fix it lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
All lyrics are corny outside of a few legendary writers. Just make a catchy chorus and you're golden.

I wrote a song for a project I'm in about Bear Brook in NH (yeah, the bodies in barrels). It felt so corny writing it, but the vocalist delivered them in such a way that it came out incredible.

• 1Worf