The Official Guitar Thread

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
looking for suggestions on getting to the point I can correctly fret without looking at my left hand, if I know the tabs I can play but if I have to read it while playing I'm fucked because I keep missing placment, is it just practice till my muscle memory knows or are there tricks I can practice

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Just keeping at it and not giving up on it is the best long term thing you can do. One thing to try is, even if you know the TABs, is to be reading them as you play and focus on reading a bar or two ahead so you are training your eyes to interpret whats coming up. Overtime this will start to become second nature so your eyes and hands are effectively processing everything.

EDIT Also, if you are not playing with a backing track or something always have a metronome going

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thanks for the advice, I decided to spend an hour going through scales with my eyes closed till I more consistently got my fingers in the right places, then ran through some simple songs I know like you are my sunshine and finished it off following along to some youtube tracks with scrolling tabs, got a bit better, will keep this going till I am better.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I brought my Helix back to Cincy with me since it was such a new toy and I knew I'd be playing with friends and such. Went rummaging through my mom's attic and found my starter Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Haven't played this piece of shit since maybe my sophomore year of high school. Thing plays like shit, but it still sounds good through the Helix. My fingers will be so happy when they're back on my Carvin.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I brought my Helix back to Cincy with me since it was such a new toy and I knew I'd be playing with friends and such. Went rummaging through my mom's attic and found my starter Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Haven't played this piece of shit since maybe my sophomore year of high school. Thing plays like shit, but it still sounds good through the Helix. My fingers will be so happy when they're back on my Carvin.

man my first guitar was a Les Paul Special II too! wine/burgundy :) had it in storage for a long time but gave it away to a friend who somehow is poorer than me

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If it makes you feel better, my Gibson LP Custom plays like shit too - my Kiesel (carvin) is so much better.

Friend got fired from his band (long story) and wants to get to writing, so I'm starting that up again. Decided to not use labels and just write what feels right.

Gonna be about dead bodies

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Decided to not use labels and just write what feels right.

Sounds like a yet to be written country song and getting back with an ex girlfriend :p

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Epiphone LP Standard
I had a Standard for a while that I picked up to 'learn' on. Ran it through a Boss MT2 and whatever bass amp I had at the time :D

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Who the hell buys used strings? Got a flash sale from reverb and looked at the sale. Most of it was $10k to $20k stuff, but under accessories they had some strings that were used in excellent shape. WTF.

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Some people take their strings off, boil them, and reuse them. At $5-20 for a pack of strings I don't understand.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If it makes you feel better, my Gibson LP Custom plays like shit too - my Kiesel (carvin) is so much better.

Friend got fired from his band (long story) and wants to get to writing, so I'm starting that up again. Decided to not use labels and just write what feels right.

Gonna be about dead bodies
If we don't get an opus about your time as guild leader we'll all be thoroughly disappointed

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just ask boozecube. Oh nevermind he was drunk every raid. Probably yelling at black people out his window

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Curious what people are using for strap locks on an acoustic. I've seen one that looks pretty good and mounes to the output jack at the rear. Another that is kind of clipped on that doesn't look so sturdy. Now I just leave the strap on now without a strap lock. I'm not really moving around with my guitar at all but would be nice to have, mostly just used to it on the telecasters.

Borzak

Getting a BeatBuddy and replacing my Ditto X4 with a Pigtronix Infinity :)

That sounds good. I looked at the digitech new pedal that did drums. Sdrum or some such. Felt like it would be going back to school to learn to use it. I need to look into the beatbuddy. It would be nice to have something low volume using the acoustic now.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That sounds good. I looked at the digitech new pedal that did drums. Sdrum or some such. Felt like it would be going back to school to learn to use it. I need to look into the beatbuddy. It would be nice to have something low volume using the acoustic now.

If you get a BeatBuddy let me know and we can split the price of the Premium content pack :)

And hey I actually do want to get a song recorded and over to you soon to see if it inspired any lyrics in you, just haven't gotten around to it yet (that Pigtronix and the Ditto X4 I'm returning are both currently in the mail)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Here's a good video just showing the basics of what the BeatBuddy does without marketing jargon or getting into the more confusing fancier stuff it can do

Borzak

If you get a BeatBuddy let me know and we can split the price of the Premium content pack :)

And hey I actually do want to get a song recorded and over to you soon to see if it inspired any lyrics in you, just haven't gotten around to it yet (that Pigtronix and the Ditto X4 I'm returning are both currently in the mail)

I get all kinds of tips. My niece is married to a semi professional songwriter. He gets some income from a few songs he's written. His first wife, her mother was a full time songwriter in Nashville and had a few songs recorded by Hank Williams Jr. His wife got on meth and now his kids are raised by her...but anyway. He makes $300/week just streaming him playing some songs he writes. Plus he has a full time job, he does the stream thing one night a week. I've never listened to him, for other reasons he annoys the shit out of me. I told him once good country music should be written on experience, kind of talking to a brick wall since he's mormon. But anyway lol.

Him and his band played at the wedding of Jeff Bezo's sister in Seattle. Don't ask me how.

• 1Like