The Official Guitar Thread

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Been wondering when they would add a funk style version.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Been wondering when they would add a funk style version.

Getting Cory Wong to do that is quite the endorsement considering that dude is well known for being a strict analog kinda dude. Down to the recording methods he uses.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Has anyone got one of these or similar?

I'm not expecting miracles, but might be nice to be able to play 'amped up' with headphones without pissing about with the full sized amp.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

I'm not expecting miracles, but might be nice to be able to play 'amped up' with headphones without pissing about with the full sized amp.

A friend has these and he says it sounds really good but he's a n00b and knows nothing so I wouldn't take his word for it.

Just do what I did and buy a Helix. It's only $1300 more.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
A friend has these and he says it sounds really good but he's a n00b and knows nothing so I wouldn't take his word for it.

Just do what I did and buy a Helix. It's only $1300 more.

Hah, not sure I can justify $1300 for me being too lazy to get the amp out while i noodle on the sofa.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

I've heard good things about the Blackstar, the Boss Katana and this Spark below. The Spark looks really neat but I guess they are taking months to ship. For dicking around on the sofa through studio monitors I'm sure they each give enough interesting tones to suffice.

For a few hundred more, I'd also highly (HIGHLY) recommend the Pod Go. Same exact audio sound as the more expensive Helix, but you lose some customization and the ability to do a few other things. For pure sounds though on the couch, for $450 I can't imagine anything better.

• 2Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wish I didn't hate headphones because I'd love to get a multi-fx board and go digital. I hate having headphones on for long periods of time. I've been looking at low wattage amps or amps with built in attenuators. I bought a small fender mustang and it sounds fine, but it's a pain to tweak the settings with the software, and they just changed models and dropped support for the amp I have. A few of the amps I've been looking at are the newer boss katana 50, the PRS MT 15, the EVHII 5150 and the monoprice 1x12 tube combo. I'm looking for a pedal platform that genres well enough. I think the one I like the most so far is the PRS MT15, but I think it might be too loud, even in 7 watt mode.

Trying some new picks this week. A pointier version of my favorite pick:
IMG_20200706_153103.jpg

IMG_20200706_152950.jpg

• 1Solidarity

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Check out 5 watt world. He also tests lots of stuff for low level playing

• 1Like

Looks great for how much I like mine but certainly taking it to the next level. I've actually gotten to know Freddy pretty well over the years since I bought my Dockstar. Might be time to give him a visit at his shop. I would want to rearrange where the 3 way and the toggles are currently tho. Have the 3 way up by the lower horn and the toggles in between the humbuckers, as low down to the edge that they could be.

View attachment 282284
oh man that looks sweet.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure this is old news, but this guy is probably the best blues teacher I've come across on youtube on my hunt to learn more licks. Very digestible way of teaching, has a ton of awesome licks from really simple to pretty involved and they all sound awesome.

Also bought another new guitar, and after playing it the past two weeks it's probably the best one I own. Easy to play, sounds excellent and the build quality is equal to my PRS. Made by Heritage - never hear of them before, but after playing one I just bought it. Really nice instrument and a joy to learn the blues licks on.

IMG_0376 (1).jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
lmao .... this popped up in youtube. I got one of these maybe in like 86? Somewhere around there. For the time they were a kick ass piece of tech.

• 2Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
lmao .... this popped up in youtube. I got one of these maybe in like 86? Somewhere around there. For the time they were a kick ass piece of tech.

Just started digging deep in 70s rock bands on youtube and just learned who Tom Scholz is, which is kind of amazing considering how much I love Boston. Jesus fuck that dude is a BOSS.

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Coincidentally I started working on dialing in that tone on my Helix earlier tonight.

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Came across a new Ernie Ball string set, might be my new norm once I can actually get some to try out. The video Beato put out about lighter strings has really stuck with me. Gonna gonna give these new Ernie Ball 2229's at try

Ernie Ball Slinky Nickel Wound Electric Guitar String Set - 8-42 Hyper Slinky 2229

Gauges: .008p .011p .014p .024w .032w .042w

Tin Plated High Carbon Steel Plain Steels
Nickel Plated Steel w/ Hex Core Round Wounds

Last edited:

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I decided to go from 10's to 9's on my sterling jp160 this weekend without realizing the Floyd has to be restrung differently and that I would need to adjust the tension. It took about an hour, but I got the bridged leveled after removing one of the springs and adjusting the screws. I bought a set of 8s, but I haven't felt the need to go lower than 9s yet.

• 1Like

Tidalwave

Trakanon Raider
I use to use Ernie Ball extra slinky 8-38 when I first started playing (easy on the fingers) but i was constantly breaking the High E string. Now i use EB 9-42 on my Floyd equipped guitars and 10-46 on my others. My drop tuned guitars I use the EB Skinny top Heavy Bottom. 10-52.

Alex Alex You like the Helix? Have you tried an Axe FX II or III? I've been using a Line 6 Firehawk for a bit (because of the price at the time). Trying to decide between Helix and Axe FX. Do you run the helix into a FRFR cab?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Alex Alex You like the Helix? Have you tried an Axe FX II or III? I've been using a Line 6 Firehawk for a bit (because of the price at the time). Trying to decide between Helix and Axe FX. Do you run the helix into a FRFR cab?

I'm a huge fan of my Helix. Digital tech has come a long way since my last processor (GNX3). I've never tried any of the Axe FX but from what I've heard they're possibly even better.

I actually mostly run through my headphones, but I've been playing through my Orange TH30 as well. Not ideal, but the clean on the TH30 is very clean so it still sounds really good.

Tidalwave

Trakanon Raider
I did the pedal thing and then in the early nineties I switched to a GSP2101 Rack Effects unit. Stopped playing for like 20 years. Trying to decide what to do next but I am liking the modeling units so far. Might save me money in the long run. LOL.