The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I did the pedal thing and then in the early nineties I switched to a GSP2101 Rack Effects unit. Stopped playing for like 20 years. Trying to decide what to do next but I am liking the modeling units so far. Might save me money in the long run. LOL.

When I ditched digital and went all analog like 12 years ago I spent a LOT of money. And bought, returned, and traded so many things. Once I had my finished product it was amazing. But now I realize how my tone has been more or less the same for over a decade and it feels so good to simply have a Mesa Rectifier tone at my disposal again.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gibson did something cool. Not really about just guitar, but Cantrell talks for an hour about his music career. I'd call it his best interview, but it's not really an interview. It's just him the entire time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Finally finished watching the Jerry Cantrell vid, cool guy and band.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Been playing around with different picks and thumb picks. Learned something new.
picks.jpg

• 1Worf

Moebiwan

shitlord
I've heard good things about the Blackstar, the Boss Katana and this Spark below. The Spark looks really neat but I guess they are taking months to ship. For dicking around on the sofa through studio monitors I'm sure they each give enough interesting tones to suffice.

For a few hundred more, I'd also highly (HIGHLY) recommend the Pod Go. Same exact audio sound as the more expensive Helix, but you lose some customization and the ability to do a few other things. For pure sounds though on the couch, for $450 I can't imagine anything better.

Can confirm: Boss Katana is pretty excellent, especially for the money (I have the 100w 112, rigged up to a Marshall 4x12 cab). But, if you're going to do any gigging with it, I HIGHLY recommend the GA-FC footswitch. And it is absolutely giggable.
If you like Boss pedals, you'll like the Katana.

Tidalwave

Trakanon Raider
I picked up a Spider V 240hc and applied the Mk.II firmware. The JCM800 and Mesa Boogie Rectifier are pretty spot on. I like the fact that the head itself has built in 50 watt AMP/Speakers. Can play at bedroom levels and get good sound. Then plug into a cab get gig level sound and full range sound. I use two 2x12's for the stereo effects.

I am an acoustic fiend. My 78 takamine dreadnought, got when I turned 16, is by this point, just in that great place great instruments get to. The thing is a joy.

I can play, but my story is, I hadn't played in more than a decade until recently. Suddenly, I wanted to play. And slowly, the nerves and the fingers and the brain and wrist and ears seem to want to come back too.

But here is why I am posting. I realized I had never tried to play Black Sabbath's Paranoid -- didn't know it!

I just sat down and used my ear, and decided it works working from a A, and let me tell you, that is a real nice little piece by Iommi. It plays nice on an acoustic. Lots of ways to attack that riff. Iommi is like a metal Bach sometimes. You could do a great fugue on that riff.

I could imagine getting the riff down solid and busking that tune just fine and dandy. Would be played so sweetly, no one will mind the lyrics. It that little "squank" at the end of the riff that causes the women to swoon.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Stoked. My new Hackintosh is up and running smooth. My Apollo Twin X showed up and will be setting that up tomorrow. Excited to check out Luna now that I'll have a thunderbolt 3 interface. In a couple of days I will be listing my Apollo Twin USB over on reverb for $550-600, not sure which yet. I would be willing to let anyone here get it for $500 if there is any interest in that. It has served me well for 1.5 years now.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm gonna cave and get a FRFR for my Helix. Compared to my headphones, the sound is just too "tinny" coming out of my Orange. I have to create presets on the Orange first instead of the headphones and I find that really annoying. I have an old Behringer PA/keyboard amp that I haven't turned on in years and it's sounding pretty shot. Not sure if it's just bad pots, but I think it's more serious than that because the volume fluctuates wildly and when turned up just a little bit it's fuzzy and shitty.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Could try some DeoxIT D5 on Behringer, but sounds like it is beyond that. FRFR's are perfect for units like the Helix. Helix into a guitar amp really isn't how it is designed to function if given the choice.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah I know. But it's what I had available and after a couple months I'm realizing I should invest in another output option.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just watched this. Such a great conversation.
Completely agree. My favorite guitarist band for sure. I've met Ian a few times and my best friend takes drum lessons from Chuck (Big Wreck's drummer). Just down to earth guys that enjoy music and sharing what they know.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Got a Taylor 210ce today. It's way more of a guitar than I'm worth.

1597726196247.png

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Moebiwan

shitlord
Completely agree. My favorite guitarist band for sure. I've met Ian a few times and my best friend takes drum lessons from Chuck (Big Wreck's drummer). Just down to earth guys that enjoy music and sharing what they know.

I gotta admit I'm jealous. I live in Florida so the chances I get to see them are few and far between. Last year they came to Atlanta, which I was able to make, but before that? 2001 in Birmingham, Alabama for TPATG. Missed that show but I remember thinking, 'no worries, they'll be back around next year or so'...then they broke up and my so did my dreams.