The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If it's like just about any other Taylor, it plays more like an electric than an acoustic. I love my 714. Thing plays like a dream. And the pronounced cutaway actually allows you to solo on it.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Mmmm, that's a nice spruce top right? So is that a dreadnaught w/ a little cutaway. Nice modest cutaway. Back is all rosewood? What guage are you going to use? And what's the action like?

As I understand it, this is the lower end Mexican-made version. Still a Taylor though, so it plays likely a honeyed virgin. Top is all spruce, yes. Back and sides are poplar-layered rosewood. Still sounds practically as good as full rosewood, I'd wager. In terms of action, it's my first acoustic and only my second guitar ever so I'm not really in a position to comment, but I will say this: This guitar makes me want to learn to play better so I do it justice. 'Bout as high praise as I can give.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user
Hey I need some advice the pandemic hit and for some reason my fingers and brain and voice remembered how to play music again. But, it has a decade or so since I last played, and I need some cheep advice.

I need to be able to record myself sitting and playing unamplified acoustic guitar, singing by me, the occasional foot stomping. I like to use the room, when I play. I just want a single mic setup, as simple but quality as possible.

This is the current device and only one I have:

(Important: I have been technologically checked out since mid aughts. I use a 2008 flipphone. No phone stuff.)

I want cheap and simple. Money is an issue: time is not.

1) Microphone? I have no idea if that item I have is enough for me, I will certainly test before $$, but ideas? I think the device I have can do USB or HDMI, and my comp has a hdmi port.

2) a recording program for a pretty slow laptop. I can buy a usb drive so storage not an issue. I want CD quality. I am not going to do much except fiddle to make sure I am getting a sound I like (Dragonfly --> Grado SR325's) and get down into some files.

I own a tripod! The device I have is on a tripod. Maybe all I need is a bare-bones recording app? I am trying to get primal. What about vintage mics? I have no problem with older stuff or old programs. Just has to work ez w/ win 10.

Thnx! Check in later.

As I understand it, this is the lower end Mexican-made version. Still a Taylor though, so it plays likely a honeyed virgin. Top is all spruce, yes. Back and sides are poplar-layered rosewood. Still sounds practically as good as full rosewood, I'd wager. In terms of action, it's my first acoustic and only my second guitar ever so I'm not really in a position to comment, but I will say this: This guitar makes me want to learn to play better so I do it justice. 'Bout as high praise as I can give.

Damn! First acoustic? Oh man. It is a whole other world. Set the action high-ish, use medium gauge, and become someone who can crush a human skull with your fist, and throttle on the acoustic. Lol that is just my attack on the thing. But you are so lucky. The different ways of attacking the soundboard with the picking/strumming hand, the way you can most definitely shape how the note sounds by how your finger is holding it on the fingerboard, the acoustic is my thing. I am a cretin on electric. I can't feel it or hear it like I do an acoustic.

Heh. Enjoy!

• 1Like

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I gotta admit I'm jealous. I live in Florida so the chances I get to see them are few and far between. Last year they came to Atlanta, which I was able to make, but before that? 2001 in Birmingham, Alabama for TPATG. Missed that show but I remember thinking, 'no worries, they'll be back around next year or so'...then they broke up and my so did my dreams.

A few of us always fly up from Louisiana and try to see them once each tour. Best show we made was their return to the Gramercy in NYC on the Ghosts tour. Was just incredible. The memory is bittersweet, as we followed the band the next night to Boston/Cambridge and saw them play at Sinclair. Last time we saw them with Brian before he died (that's me on the far right next to Brian and my drummer next to Chuck).
17022184_10211258057719027_5178443969605703776_n.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've been lucky enough to see them twice - one of which being the In Loving Memory Of anniversary tour. Ian Thornley is something else live.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hey I need some advice the pandemic hit and for some reason my fingers and brain and voice remembered how to play music again. But, it has a decade or so since I last played, and I need some cheep advice.

I need to be able to record myself sitting and playing unamplified acoustic guitar, singing by me, the occasional foot stomping. I like to use the room, when I play. I just want a single mic setup, as simple but quality as possible.

This is the current device and only one I have:

(Important: I have been technologically checked out since mid aughts. I use a 2008 flipphone. No phone stuff.)

I want cheap and simple. Money is an issue: time is not.

1) Microphone? I have no idea if that item I have is enough for me, I will certainly test before $$, but ideas? I think the device I have can do USB or HDMI, and my comp has a hdmi port.

2) a recording program for a pretty slow laptop. I can buy a usb drive so storage not an issue. I want CD quality. I am not going to do much except fiddle to make sure I am getting a sound I like (Dragonfly --> Grado SR325's) and get down into some files.

I own a tripod! The device I have is on a tripod. Maybe all I need is a bare-bones recording app? I am trying to get primal. What about vintage mics? I have no problem with older stuff or old programs. Just has to work ez w/ win 10.

Thnx! Check in later.

The device you have already doesn't look like something any DAW will recognize as an audio interface. Pretty slow laptop could be a pretty big handicap when it comes to DAW software, without knowing the specs be prepared for it to basically not be able to cut it.

I'd look at getting an audio interface kit for what you are wanting, here are a couple of decent brands which include software that should suit your level of need(again pending on the specs, the laptop might be a bad idea that will just lead to frustration):

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a PreSonus and I have no complaints. Though I've never used another one.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Dig Unphrey's, haven't seen them in a long time. Mostly seen them at late nights @HSMF. Fuck they can bring it

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm seeing UM Labor Day weekend in Chicago at a drive in and I'm fucking stoked. I miss live music so much.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
been getting into the cheap pedals on Amazon lately.... the Kmise brand Tube Screamer clone for $17.99 is a straight up fucking steal. never personally owned an Ibanez TS but i've heard enough of them to know this is damn close. same brand Vintage Phaser is just as good as any other of the kajillion single-knob vintage phasers out there and again cost $17.99. and the Azor "The Noise" noise gate for like $23 is just as good as any other noise gate i've ever heard, with both the hard and soft modes both very usable, particularly the soft mode gets a pretty satisfying decay to it that's probably more fun than a noise gate pedal should be, if you get all the other volume knobs in your chain just right.

the Caline brand Tantrum Distortion with onboard Boost tho.... eh. it's even got a three-knob EQ on it, but the distortion is just so wimpy for something labelled "Heavy Metal," and the Boost is some pretty ghetto implementation that doesn't work if you have your Mids and Trebs set too high on said three-band EQ, like it needs some room to play with to add the boost if that makes sense. and the Boost only works with the distortion on, can't use it as a clean boost separate from the distortion.

i was really skeptical of the Cool Music brand "Versatile Chorus" pedal, honestly mostly due to the super lame brand name lol, but it's probably my favorite of the bunch. at $30 after a $6 coupon it's a few bucks more than the bottom-of-the-barrel price range that i've mostly been shooting for, but it boasted a five-knob (Level, Depth, Rate, "High," and "Low", the last two aren't exactly EQs, they're more for controlling the way the chorus affect those bands seems like) control scheme that caught my eye. then i read in a review that it was a clone of the MXR analog chorus that Kurt Cobain loved, and i was sold. nails that "Come As You Are" tone absolutely perfectly if that's what you're after, but with the robust control options you can actually dial in a pretty broad range of sounds, even up to pretty much Flanger territory if you crank that Rate knob. unity gain on the Level knob is about 2o'clock for some reason haha.

last but maybe still least, this XSPRO brand ABY box does its job, but there's SUCH a loud noticeable click when you switch channels that it's unusable for anything but your bedroom

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
oh yeah and i've got an Azor Fuzz on the way right now, the silver enclosure one, supposedly a silicon diode Muff clone, as opposed to the germanium diode yellow enclosure one... way excited for a $23 purchase haha

Moebiwan

shitlord
A few of us always fly up from Louisiana and try to see them once each tour. Best show we made was their return to the Gramercy in NYC on the Ghosts tour. Was just incredible. The memory is bittersweet, as we followed the band the next night to Boston/Cambridge and saw them play at Sinclair. Last time we saw them with Brian before he died (that's me on the far right next to Brian and my drummer next to Chuck).

From what I've heard, the Gramercy always turns out for BW and is a killer venue. I just need to do the same and go. I've seen Martin Sexton half a dozen times, the least I can do for my favorite band is see them more than once ;)

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I ordered a Positive Grid Spark instead of a new amp/mfx setup. I'm moving for a new job and staying with relatives for a bit until I find a place in my new town. So I need to go smaller and use headphones for a bit. I bought some in ears that are pretty comfortable, but I think I'm going to get some headphones.

Here's a question for you audiophiles. With something like the PG Spark, should I go with Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohm, or 250ohm? I've picked the 770's because they're supposed to be really comfortable, which is a must if I'm actually going to use them.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'd go with the 250ohm or even the 32ohm. I had a pair back in the early nineties that I liked a lot but the fabric around the ear didn't hold up very well. I'm not sure what changes they've made since I had mine since it was a very long time ago.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
This guys technique and precision is off the fucking charts.

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd go with the 250ohm or even the 32ohm. I had a pair back in the early nineties that I liked a lot but the fabric around the ear didn't hold up very well. I'm not sure what changes they've made since I had mine since it was a very long time ago.

The ear pads can be replaced. A few reviews I read recommended puting leather cups on them for better sound isolation, but my head cooks using headphones wity leather pads.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I just came to share that fuck me trying to replace the strings on my newish guitar with an Evertune bridge. Fuck me in the ass. I should have just played.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've read they are a pain to get set up, how do you like it otherwise? I've never had or even played one

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I ordered a Positive Grid Spark instead of a new amp/mfx setup. I'm moving for a new job and staying with relatives for a bit until I find a place in my new town. So I need to go smaller and use headphones for a bit. I bought some in ears that are pretty comfortable, but I think I'm going to get some headphones.

Here's a question for you audiophiles. With something like the PG Spark, should I go with Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohm, or 250ohm? I've picked the 770's because they're supposed to be really comfortable, which is a must if I'm actually going to use them.

I have that Positive Grid Spark - great little practice amp. I use it out on the patio to play when people are swimming and it's got a great little sound for the $. The backing tracks are great too, particularly some of the blues tracks.

Makes this old chunk o' coal feel like Derek Trucks! (Not really)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users