The Official Guitar Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My inner Billy Duffy has wanted that '75 LP Custom with a natural finish for the past 30 years.
Only ever seen a couple others

I had to have Gibson date it for me because the serial number was off. We determined it was made in 1975 and final assembly in 1976

This is what it would've looked like back then

LPCst_MapleBrd.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

I played around with Guitar Rig 5 demo for a bit but it definitely didn't sound this good. Crazy how accurate it sounds.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Guitarbros. I just bought my first guitar (electric) at age 35. Zero musical background and not that keen on taking lessons, at least for the time being. I've been watching a bunch of Youtube videos(Andy Guitar, Ben Eller to name a couple) and picked up Rocksmith to dick around on.

I'm truly on step 1 so I floated through this thread and didn't see a lot of "just starting out" posts. Obviously practice is going to be the big thing but I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any good beginner resources, suggestions on what I should focus on, or good songs to start out with.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Justin guitar on youtube is recommended a lot. I've never watched any of it, but on reddit they recommend it all the time

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The Justin Guitar website has lots of good information as well that mostly goes with the videos.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Justin guitar on youtube is recommended a lot. I've never watched any of it, but on reddit they recommend it all the time

Was going to say the same. I watched a few of his videos where he makes tabs from a song. The actual guitar lesson haven't watched those but they're all over Justin on reddit.

Another one they talk a lot about is Marty Music.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Guitarbros. I just bought my first guitar (electric) at age 35. Zero musical background and not that keen on taking lessons, at least for the time being. I've been watching a bunch of Youtube videos(Andy Guitar, Ben Eller to name a couple) and picked up Rocksmith to dick around on.

I'm truly on step 1 so I floated through this thread and didn't see a lot of "just starting out" posts. Obviously practice is going to be the big thing but I figured I'd ask here if anyone has any good beginner resources, suggestions on what I should focus on, or good songs to start out with.
Get an electronic tuner of some sort. It takes a while to get an ear for it. The clip on things work pretty well.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Justinguitar is the best beginner guitar guy I’ve found, he got my sister playing and singing basic songs in a few months of casual playing from his website. That it’s free is pretty remarkable considering how much info there is.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

Sign up for a free month trial of guitartricks.com , and go through the level 1 and level 2 fundamentals courses. Easily the best intro to guitar I've ever seen for online lessons. Very well structured, you will learn enough theory to know why the things you are playing sound good, and the courses are all made recent. I can't stress the structure and pacing enough, much better than dicking around through old youtube videos. Make sure you get a free trial though obviously.

• 1Like

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the resource suggestions!

I picked up an electronic tuner that clips onto the end of the guitar. I was going to be useless without it since I didn't even know what EADGBE meant. Iron Maiden made it easy to remember at least :p. It's a Floyd Rose so tuning won't be changing for a long while. Left handed options were brutal and this was literally the only left handed guitar in the city that wasn't over $1000.

Was going to pick up an orange crush 20 since I heard they're a good starter for metal sounds, but the shop I picked the guitar up at had a used Katana MKii for $60 off so I just snagged that. Regardless of my skill I crank it up to melt faces like the nazis in Raiders.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So when you are practicing and stuff, if it isn't playing along with something, play with a metronome on everything. It's a crucial skill a lot of new players don't pay enough attention to. A year or two down the road it will payoff in spades.

• 2Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Try to also get your basic skills worked out on an acoustic. Perhaps get a pre-owned half decent one, won't cost too much.

Playing that will help work out errors you're making, ie: poor fretting of the strings and things like getting barre chords right will be far more obvious with the acoustic. Due to heavier gauge strings.

And also you can play it quieter, so it can be used at a time of day that having an amp doesn't suit. Make it an evening thing, play some mellow acoustic stuff.

• 1Like

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
So when you are practicing and stuff, if it isn't playing along with something, play with a metronome on everything. It's a crucial skill a lot of new players don't pay enough attention to. A year or two down the road it will payoff in spades.
Will do. Just strumming chords at a consistent rhythm?

Try to also get your basic skills worked out on an acoustic. Perhaps get a pre-owned half decent one, won't cost too much.

Playing that will help work out errors you're making, ie: poor fretting of the strings and things like getting barre chords right will be far more obvious with the acoustic. Due to heavier gauge strings.

And also you can play it quieter, so it can be used at a time of day that having an amp doesn't suit. Make it an evening thing, play some mellow acoustic stuff.
Any time I've been doing my sit down and practice finger positions/chords has been without the amp for that reason. The amp makes it hard to tell.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thanks for the resource suggestions!

I picked up an electronic tuner that clips onto the end of the guitar. I was going to be useless without it since I didn't even know what EADGBE meant. Iron Maiden made it easy to remember at least :p. It's a Floyd Rose so tuning won't be changing for a long while. Left handed options were brutal and this was literally the only left handed guitar in the city that wasn't over $1000.

Was going to pick up an orange crush 20 since I heard they're a good starter for metal sounds, but the shop I picked the guitar up at had a used Katana MKii for $60 off so I just snagged that. Regardless of my skill I crank it up to melt faces like the nazis in Raiders.
Hell yeah. Be prepared, floyd roses are fickle bitches

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Will do. Just strumming chords at a consistent rhythm?

Playing chords, practicing scales, just with everything. Dig deep enough into music theory to understand note durations. Should have some beginner friendly stuff on Justin's for that. Learning requires practicing and not just melting faces but it pays off to do this stuff as you learn rather than go back to get a grasp of it. Try to balance out that stuff with some melting faces to keep the interest level high because practicing can get boring as shit due to the repetitive nature of it.