The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ordered a Mesa/Boogie Mark 5 combo amp a couple of months ago. Covid had the factory shut down off and on.

Damn thing is finally on the way. Tracking says it's on the truck and out for delivery. Can't get any work done. Keep staring at the window looking for that fucking truck. Ahhrgggg.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I absolutely love my Mark 4 but the control layout on the 5 is just so much more intuitive looking. The 4 is the only amp I've ever had to read the manual just to make sure you didn't miss a setting in the chain. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I've read they are a pain to get set up, how do you like it otherwise? I've never had or even played one
It is great once they are set up correctly. Definitely keeps strings in tune. You have to balance them a bit to get bends and tremelo properly, which is a bit weird. I personally gave up on trying to fix the intonation. That was where I was getting into trouble. I'm not sure I would rush out and get another one. The thing is, I was coming from a guitar that was basically impossible to keep in tune, so I maybe over-indexed on the functionality.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Pretty incredible how well they isolate parts, definitely on my list of things to buy

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I can give a big thumbs up to Izotope RX7 - the previous product in that line. A few years back, I had shot a bunch of footage for a short film and had used a secondary shotgun microphone. I thought I had tested it and it was fine. I had made a minor setting change to it ( which I thought should have been no big deal ) turns out that it brought in a raft of problems with the recorded audio.

I was fearing the fact that I might have to use the onboard mic from the camera itself. The raw audio was very low quality there was ambient noise, sound bounce from the walls. Struggling with this, I found a demo version of RX7. It immediately fixed the audio, almost always the auto settings worked just fine. I purchased the full version of RX7 and it saved the day.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Belated THNX to those who suggested some tips so I can record myself.

I already got some Shure's se530's and Grado SR325e's. I am set on the headphone front. Grado's... mmm.

One of the "audiobox" + a much nicer mic is needed? I need to research what mic I need first of all maybe? This will NOT be amplified music, but a dreadnaught can put out some noise.

Audacity seems basic enough. I just want to document some playing and singing before arthritis or the rona gets me.

Thanks again for advice. I figure I can spread 300 dollrs out over 3 months. Could make it 600. Life is always flexible.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, sounds like an interface and a mic is all you would need. Lots of good videos on youtube on single mic recording for acoustic guitar/vocals for placement and what not

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I absolutely love my Mark 4 but the control layout on the 5 is just so much more intuitive looking. The 4 is the only amp I've ever had to read the manual just to make sure you didn't miss a setting in the chain. Enjoy!
I owned a mark IV for awhile and it's one of the best amps I've ever played. Definitely regret selling that one

• 1Like
Ya, sounds like an interface and a mic is all you would need. Lots of good videos on youtube on single mic recording for acoustic guitar/vocals for placement and what not

Thanks. I hadn't played in around 14 years. All of a sudden over the new year, and my chops / ear show back up. 2020 is a messed up year.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would also recommend checking out Reaper for a DAW. Its a free demo, and then when the demo is over they bug you to buy it but allow you to keep using it for free if you want. Honestly kind of made me like the company even more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Pretty cool design, have 7 string and bass versions as well. Seems sold out at the moment but at $800 I could see wanting to give one a go.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Went to a dudes house tonight to jam. Ended up inviting a bass player and vocalist and we made a band on the spot.

Decided to each pick a song to cover and come back together and start writing.

First time rocking the Kiesel with a group. Thing was killer.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not much to add here other than I picked up a guitar (acoustic) for the first time at the weekend and I'm starting to learn aged 49. My finger tips are numb and I'm frustrated my fat fingers keep catching other strings but I'm trying to temper my expectation.

Can anyone suggest a good YouTube resource? I'm splitting my time between Marty Music and Rick Beato but someone mentioned JustinGuitar.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Justin Guitar has lots of good stuff for sure. I know you said your watching Beato but 1 in particular to not miss is this one:

Moving between chords is like the best thing you can work on for early dexterity and rhythm that it can't be understated.

• 1Like

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
All those are good. Carl on:

Has lots of great song lessons like Marty in a different style.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Got 3/4" thick paper catalog from sweetwater. Gonna guess it's for people that have never heard of the internet or something.

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got 3/4" thick paper catalog from sweetwater. Gonna guess it's for people that have never heard of the internet or something.
Haha, after I ordered something from Sweetwater I kept getting those.

They were good shitter material before cell phones

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I guess you could leave them laying around where the band practices or something. Otherwise seems like a giant waste of money.