The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That would be a deal breaker for me. That says a lot about a player's ear and feel if they can't even play a cover right.
Yeah I'm not married to this, I just wanted to play with people. The way he drums really bothers me lol. The "backbone" of the band needs to be true. Just drum man, leave it to me to play along with YOU.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Getting a group of people together who are good at their instruments, not total losers and can somehow stand each other for more than a couple of years is a monumental feat. I have nothing but respect for any band that can keep it together, even if I hate their music.

Yeah I've realized how special the band I was in back in college was now. We were together for a couple years, practiced every week in that time, played multiple shows, had like 20 originals. Never had any drama issues. All three of us were pretty talented. I wrote most of the music and that bass player could play every single fucking thing I wrote no matter how difficult or complicated. Definitely the best band I've ever been a part of.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
We covered Them Bones by AIC and he's playing it 4/4 even though it's 7/8. He said it sounds weird when we play it, but he can't wrap his head around 7/8

Not sure how long it will last.

and Them Bones is like THE song for teaching a caveman metalhead to play in 7/8 lol "AHHH! 2 3 4 5 6 7 AHHH! 2 3 4 5 6 7" you all just accidentally did it in your heads reading along

i say figure out a way to blow him up and blame it on the Spinal Tap curse

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Problem I'm finding is the drummer is n ot very good at basic rhythms. Seems like he just plays randomly. The one huge gripe is often he seems to be watching me and slowing/down speeding up if he thinks I'm slowing down - which of course I'm doing listening to him... because you know, drummer..

Send him some videos on time signatures so if he lacking the idea of them he can at least learn about them. This video is good for the newer players here as well:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Welp thanks to whoevers friend it was that recommended the Schecter bass. Heres a..whats it been 8ish month status update? No webcam so recordered on my note20. Phone seems to strip a lot of bass out of videos sadly (noticed this when recording bands too).

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Just starting

EDIT I'm a goof, hadn't refreshed youtube for awhile and it still said live but it was already over, lol

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Went and picked up AudioTube 4. Pretty fun to play around with. ASIO driver made a hell of a difference for its performance/latency.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been trying out guitar pro 7. I'll probably buy it once the trial is up.

I also tried the guitar tricks site. It's well structured and covers the right ground for an absolute beginner. I'm going through their genre courses.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Man for some reason I thought this Schecter bass was passive so always left it hooked up. Had a bit of a panic today when it stopped outputting so took the back off to have a look and found a 9v.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

I ended up fast forwarding some but they bring up some interesting points early on about how the guitar is back and it really is becoming a AmazonBasics type of thing. The outrage about buying a AmzonBasic pedal is pretty fucking funny. Want a hum drum compressor without a fancy name and logo, why the fuck not buy one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I grabbed about $200 of small electronic kits of diodes, resistors, capacitors, integrated circuits and on and on and on plus a few specific parts but I should be pretty set up for breadboarding lots of pedals to learn on before actually putting together any real pedals. Figure this way I can do lots of testing to dial in the sounds I'd like to have then eventually toss them into an actual enclosure.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Made the mistake of taking my older son to Rockler this weekend, ended up with another project.

20201106_142703.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Ukulele’s are great way for kids to start. Baritone ukulele’s make for an even easier transition to guitar if that’s what the goal is.

Edit: Depending on the kids size, baritones are a pretty large ukulele for small kids

Last edited:

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
We went with the concert size, we can always go to a baritone as he gets bigger, he can also maybe graduate to my mandolin at some point since they are both based on 4 strings

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Hopefully he picks it up and starts taking it seriously sooner rather than later so he can graduate to guitar or mando. Don't want your kid becoming a full-time pussy ass ukulele player. Covering Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hopefully he picks it up and starts taking it seriously sooner rather than later so he can graduate to guitar or mando. Don't want your kid becoming a full-time pussy ass ukulele player. Covering Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
He has already set his mind to playing the adventure time theme song first, which is super easy so shouldn't take long, seems like all those cartoon network shows have ukulele theme songs.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Bought the Eastman OM, great guitar and tons of great little detail. A bit too blingy for me normally but it’s grown on me. Adi top sounds loud and full

Attachments

• E9C9525C-A05A-40C9-AB22-56126E64495E.jpeg
    E9C9525C-A05A-40C9-AB22-56126E64495E.jpeg
    791.3 KB · Views: 7
  • BB460855-ACA4-4413-B8BA-E672A0E728DF.jpeg
    BB460855-ACA4-4413-B8BA-E672A0E728DF.jpeg
    778.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users