The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Bought the Eastman OM, great guitar and tons of great little detail. A bit too blingy for me normally but it’s grown on me. Adi top sounds loud and full

I've thought about buying the Eastman ES 335 copy. Thing looks top tier.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I really like the romeo-sc, would love to get a chance to check one out in person

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've thought about buying the Eastman ES 335 copy. Thing looks top tier.
If I didn't have the Heritage hanging on the wall I'd absolutely buy another Eastman 335. In fact, they make a Jumbo 12 string spruce/hog acoustic I may buy over Xmas (retails for a grand for solid wood, but you can haggle the shit out of Eastmans - this OM-42 Martin "knockoff" retails for $2400, got it for $1700 delivered).

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Any recommendations for nut files? The only common options I see are stew mac and some grizzley files( with bad reviews for working on tusq). I've seen lots of comments online about stew mac files being over priced without any other recommendations. I don't mind the expense if they're worth it, but I'm open to good alternatives.

I've picked up a tusq nut, and based on all the videos I've watched the right way to finish the job is carefully with some nut files. I also started making a bone one, but I'm stuck and needing some proper files for the slots. I've tried a few work around from youtube and they all kinda suck.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've never needed them but I have seen some on amazon for 10ish bucks, no clue if they are good or not. I've used actual guitar strings in that gauge with pressure to make minor adjustments.

cheap one:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Not surprised. I live waking distance from a Guitar Center and I still haven't been in years. I think the last time I was there was when I bought my Orange TH30 like six years ago. They are never quite "boutique" enough in their selection for me and some of the floor models would be beat up and kinda shitty.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Last time I went a few years ago, I'd say 80% of the items was marked new but was clearly used. Just a shit store ran by even shittier bean counters. Fuck'em

Yeah, but it's now probably a few hundred less places where it's frowned upon to play a certain 5 note arpeggio opening, but if I'm holding a primo Martin or Gibson dreadnought, I'm goin for it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
PXL_20201123_222531885.jpg

Still running at peak GAS. Finally got a pedalboard. Still a work in progress... got a Boss DD-500 and an EHX Deluxe Memory Man 100-TT on the way (sold my TC Electronic Triple Flashback) so obviously gotta figure out how to make more room. Might keep my wah and/or my ABY pedal off the board and just plug them in on the floor when I'm playing. And I need to get a second board to hold my Pigtronix Infinity looper and my BeatBuddy drum machine, so could move the reverb pedal over there since it's just always on, right before the looper.

This time last year I had two pedals, that Behringer DD400 and a Digitech FX69B Grunge. I really shouldn't afford this lol.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I don't have anywhere near that many pedals, but if I did I'd consider an effects switcher like the boss es. Looks better on the board, but the cables upset me, I think I may have issues as I like all mine to be the same style, even though they're routed under the pedals and can only see the plug ends.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^ I get the appeal I run two full pedal boards basically, with my two amp setup... I would like to get each amp's gain section on their own loop for when I want to turn them all off at once, but otherwise there aren't enough situations where I'm looking to turn on/off specific groups of pedals all at once for one to make sense for me tho. I do want to keep adding more MIDI functionality to my board tho, so a MIDI switcher to go along with my Selah Quartz MIDI controller / external tap synchronizer (such a cool device) will probably eventually make sense tho.... Since then I can have the switcher buttons do different groups of effects for different songs.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has anyone tried truefire lessons? Their yearly sub is on sale for $99 for black friday. I've been trying guitartricks, and it's not bad, but I want to try some other sites.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've looked at the site but never tried. $99 for a year as a new player seems like a pretty good thing. For an advanced player maybe not, you would need to dig into it a bit more to see if the value is there. Back when I was new to playing, it was $40+ a pop for a lesson so $99 for unlimited access to lessons seems crazy good provided you take advantage of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Finally need to replace my Epiphone Les Paul Studio Gothic I bought in 2005. Cat knocked it over (gonna blame her anyway, I probably shouldn't have had it leaning up there) and the neck cracked.

I tune a step and a half down (C# Standard). The 24.75" scale on a Lea Paul isn't that great for downtunings tho. Should I get a 25.5" for my next guitar or just go all the way to 27" baritone?

7/8 string owners, do you own a 6 string still? If not, do you miss having one around at all? Earlier this year I was thinking about buying an extended range guitar of some sort for even lower tunings, but now that I broke my 6 string I'm not sure if I should still get the 7 string and just adapt or keep a 6 string around and switch back and forth....

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Screenshot_20201129-005257.png
Screenshot_20201129-005317.png

A seven string semi hollow body Les Paul copy?!?!?! I seriously might buy this off eBay. $325

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Screenshot_20201129-005655.png

This is $339????? There is some crazy cheap shit on eBay, why have I only been shopping on Reverb?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
That hollow body looks great. Checked out there site a bit, if you are used to a 25.5 scale might be a bit weird. Most everything seems to be 24.75.

EDIT just saw your scale post, I've never gotten into the detuning stuff so not really sure but seems you are already used to the shorter scale.

Last edited: