The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My next guitar is probably going to be a Kiesel or a PRS. But I'm going to have to put in a couple hundred hours of practice time before I let myself have any more GAS.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My next guitar is probably going to be a Kiesel or a PRS. But I'm going to have to put in a couple hundred hours of practice time before I let myself have any more GAS.

I ordered a Kiesel a few months ago. I'm expecting that shipping notification any day now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about bias fx 2 or amplitude 5? Or have any other newbie friendly plugin recommendations. I finished my new computer so I'm trying plugins with reaper.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I have fx2 and it’s good but not great. If I was buying now I think I’d go with the amplitube 5 for having lots of official branded amp models. It’s also quite a bit newer than fx2 is so better tech under the hood potentially.

it’s expensive, so I’ve been saving pennies, but the helix native plugin is essentially a line 6 unit without the unit if budget isn’t a big thing. It’s seems really good

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sukik

I have fx2 and it’s good but not great. If I was buying now I think I’d go with the amplitube 5 for having lots of official branded amp models. It’s also quite a bit newer than fx2 is so better tech under the hood potentially.

it’s expensive, so I’ve been saving pennies, but the helix native plugin is essentially a line 6 unit without the unit if budget isn’t a big thing
Both are on sale right now. Bias fx 2 pro is $119 and amplitude 5 is $150, so I'm probably going to get one of them.

I've read some good reviews about the line 6 software, but 400 is pretty steep for my skill/knowledge level. It's $100 more addon when bought with the hardware at the hx stomp tier or above.

I bought the ggd aggressive one kit wonder and some groove packs over Christmas. Spent a couple hours tonight learning how to route them into reaper so I could record them with my shitty playing. Jamming with drums is way more fun.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I'm tempted to grab amplitube now that you mention it's on sale

sukik

I posted the wrong price for amplitude 5. The upgrade price is $150, and new price is $200. Picked it up after watching a few reviews. It's overkill for me, but should be fun to play with.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The Helix stuff is so legit. I bought one back in May and I'm still impressed with it. It really does feel like you're cranking an amp to 10.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'll chime in that the Amplitube stuff is great. Haven't messed with it in awhile since I've moved to AXE-FX III, but it worked quite well for recording.

Ok, here is a guitar related story that I think only guitar players will get.

I've posted pics of my "lawsuit guitar," the thing I would give away if someone asked me to give away my best thing, a 1978 F375s Takamine (Feb 13, it sez). Acoustic guitar is my true home.

So I get a phone call recently from the dude who, we learned guitar together as kids. We jammed in parent's basement parties. We figured out songs, etc. Good stuff! He had this really excellent Gibson. Not sure what model. Diff sound from mine, it was absolutely a fine dreadnaught style specimen. I remember, it was much more expensive than mine was.

And you know how things go. My guitar kicks ass, his did, and if we brought them to parties everyone wanted to "hey can I check that out?"

That guitar got me laid. Not sure about my old friend. I think mainly it was he had a daddy card in his wallet. (Daddy card -- parents tired of giving you cash, just buy you a credit card to use)

About 15 years or so ago, he told me it was stolen. He called me up, said he had been beaten up and some black dude stole it. I was heartbroken. Lots of people were, since he still played for a living (it's easy with an even bigger dead-daddy card, ie, inheritance).

He has been trying to "make amends" for being a fuckwad, I guess, so as I say, he calls me recently and said, "I still have the Gibson, I just did it to get attention. I made the whole story up, and it sucked because I had to never play the Gibson in public anymore. I'm sorry."

That's it. That's the story. You guys can fill in how you would react to that. I'll let you guys guess how I did.

sukik

Pretty fun conversation. They discuss current modeling software vs live amps while recording at about 50 minutes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Anyone in the market for getting into recording on the cheap, this thing is pretty badass for the price.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Really need to get a headset mic I think, so hard to do all the pedal tap dancing I need to do and keep my mouth close enough to my mic.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
PXL_20210123_195110991.jpg

My pedalboard's current form, btw :) still working on it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users