The Official Guitar Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I know Derek Trucks is widely considered the slide guru, but Ian plays slide in a way I've never heard anyone play. And he's not even in love with slide.

Yeah that lick at the 38 sec mark in that video is a perfect example of some slide work you only hear from Thornley.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
1615426969300.png

1615426940875.png

Frog has landed.

Romeo-SC showed up last Friday, had a ball all weekend playing it through my little spark just jacking around. Great guitar, and every bit as well put together as my Heritage 335. Smaller, different pups, but able to get some really cool sounds from it with the single coil. A+ instrument, and just more proof for me that for the money, Eastman makes the best guitars in the world.

Or so I thought.

Froggy showed up yesterday.... Ho. Lee. Fuck. The hype is real. Hands down, by a mile the best instrument I've ever played (for reference, we have a very nice, expensive Schimmel piano in our foyer worth 40k). This is better, because it's so much better than any acoustic I've ever played it's almost like a different instrument entirely. The only thing close was an older Goodall a few years ago. Played it next to J45, D18, a Collings and a superb Bourgeois and it's so much better in genuinely every way. The sound sort of envelopes you - excellent note separation but a beautiful shimmer when strummed. Opted for Red Spruce/Honduran Mahogany and am so glad I did. It's a bit like driving a ferrari - hard to go back to the SUV after that. I'm not near a good enough player to have something like this, but I imagine of every thing I own, aside from my dad's old hamilton watch, this beautiful piece of art will remain with me longer than anything. My expectations were really high, and aside from Andy at the Music Emporium being a bit of a dick sucker, this has exceeded them in every way.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's awesome. My buddy has a Collings and that thing smokes so to hear about something so much better is impressive.

Any more Eastman hype and I'll buy a 335 copy myself. Still waiting on my Kiesel though. It's been 21 fucking weeks.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
There were a couple of post a while back on guitar channels people watched/listened to. Tried looking for it and couldn't find it :( A couple of them were pretty long list.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There were a couple of post a while back on guitar channels people watched/listened to. Tried looking for it and couldn't find it :( A couple of them were pretty long list.

Rick Beato is pretty great. Dude knows music history as well as he can play. Entertaining channel whether you want to learn, hear stories from the studio/road, or listen to him nerd out on guitar gear and history. Rhett Shull has a good channel too and guests on a number of Beato's videos.

If you want to just watch a phenomenal player, Ichika Nito is mesmerizing. He plays in some fucked up tunings and messes around with some pretty wild guitars.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It really is amazing the amount of quality, free content there is on YouTube. It's never been easier to pickup and learn skills that previously required a larger time and money investment.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've been digging Tom Quayle lately along with the others people have posted. Has an app called solo that haven't had a chance to check out

Tom Quayle

EDIT I don't think much are into jazz here but if you are check out Jens Larsen even if you aren't he teaches lots of good stuff just mainly based around jazz

Last edited:
  • 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

ouch, still killing it tho. Link below is just the song part

• 2Like

Arbiter

Pelvic Sorcerer
<Silver Donator>
Reviews are a dime a dozen anymore, but I tend to like this guy and his honesty on things, especially with comments and questions to which gear he feels is best. He is certainly a Pink Floyd aficionado in most videos, but also a really good player,...

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds about right but unless you want the hands on interaction for learning, you can pretty much find everything they will teach you for free on the youtubes/web

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Sounds about right but unless you want the hands on interaction for learning, you can pretty much find everything they will teach you for free on the youtubes/web

I pretty much did want hand holding initially. Found a guy who charges 30 bucks like is six blocks away. Waiting to hear back.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Do you have a relative or friend that knows bass or normal guitar to just do a beginners check that you've got the basics right.

I was playing for several months before finding a work friend who was quick to spot that I was holding the pick totally wrong. I was holding it like I was pinching it ( thumb and tips of 2 fingers ) - sort of felt right, but once I was shown the standard way to hold it, it made sense.