The Official Guitar Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Those kempers are awesome. That's what I'm saving for, probably the last amp I'll ever need.

As far as what it does, you can basically mic up an amp that you really love the sound of (i.e. MB dual rectifier) and it will profile it and then you can use that profile anytime you want. It then works like a real amp where you can add effects to it, tweak the EQ etc and it will (theoretically) sound like the amp you profiled with those effects. You of course don't have to do this profiling yourself, you can download profiles.

They like to say it's not a modeling amp and all that, but it is the same thing. It's still just digital simulation of sound they just do it fuckloads better than anyone else at the moment.

Also, forgot to add that it does have preloaded profiles. I'm also not sure what you mean by use it with a computer - if you mean plug it directly into an interface or something to record then yes. If you mean using some sort of software to control and manage it then I think also yes, but I haven't used it for myself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Those kempers are awesome. That's what I'm saving for, probably the last amp I'll ever need.

As far as what it does, you can basically mic up an amp that you really love the sound of (i.e. MB dual rectifier) and it will profile it and then you can use that profile anytime you want. It then works like a real amp where you can add effects to it, tweak the EQ etc and it will (theoretically) sound like the amp you profiled with those effects. You of course don't have to do this profiling yourself, you can download profiles.

They like to say it's not a modeling amp and all that, but it is the same thing. It's still just digital simulation of sound they just do it fuckloads better than anyone else at the moment.

Also, forgot to add that it does have preloaded profiles. I'm also not sure what you mean by use it with a computer - if you mean plug it directly into an interface or something to record then yes. If you mean using some sort of software to control and manage it then I think also yes, but I haven't used it for myself.

Ok, thanks, that sounds awesome.

So how would you use this in a live jam session type environment? Im assuming this is not powered, or relatively low power, so it would have to be run through some type of an amp and then to a speaker cabinet/PA amp??

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Wow, just researching this a bit I guess people have set up profiles you can buy for like $15 using true vntage tube amps and effects, like the van halen pack. Fucking incredible sound... Well if you can play like van halen, lol. This to me seems like the most exciting shit to hit the guitar world since the power amp.

Cantrell pack

Last edited:

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Ok, thanks, that sounds awesome.

So how would you use this in a live jam session type environment? Im assuming this is not powered, or relatively low power, so it would have to be run through some type of an amp and then to a speaker cabinet/PA amp??

Yeah something like that. I had planned on just plugging it straight to my mixer and then play it through my monitors (basically what I do with my pod right now). I hadn't thought of wanting to travel with it...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah something like that. I had planned on just plugging it straight to my mixer and then play it through my monitors (basically what I do with my pod right now). I hadn't thought of wanting to travel with it...

Not really travelling but we get together in basements still to jam out, bass, guitar, singer, and drums. Im usually drums, but have been itching to learn more guitar. Also my kid is showing interest too. $1800 seem really cheap for what you are getting too. We usually go to brother in laws house since hes still single and hass all the shit there, PA system, marshall 1/2 stack, bass hookup, and yamaha maple custom drums. I have some shit at my house like drums, of course, a few guitars, old vintage peavey amp, and a small cheap PA system.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Wow, just researching this a bit I guess people have set up profiles you can buy for like $15 using true vntage tube amps and effects, like the van halen pack. Fucking incredible sound... Well if you can play like van halen, lol. This to me seems like the most exciting shit to hit the guitar world since the power amp.

modeling amps have been around for quite a while, Line 6 used to be king of them back when i was a gearhead, tho i'm sure now 15 years later there's a lot more competition since the technology has progressed. that one does seem particularly robust, the one thing i'd say is that if you're still learning guitar you'd probably want to get something a bit more basic to play on too. you don't want to get so involved in finding the right tone that you don't actually learn to play!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well like I said I have an old peavey which is pretty nice but with all that tax money Im probably gonna pick that bitch up. and let me and the boys I play with fuck around with it.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Not really travelling but we get together in basements still to jam out, bass, guitar, singer, and drums. Im usually drums, but have been itching to learn more guitar. Also my kid is showing interest too. $1800 seem really cheap for what you are getting too. We usually go to brother in laws house since hes still single and hass all the shit there, PA system, marshall 1/2 stack, bass hookup, and yamaha maple custom drums. I have some shit at my house like drums, of course, a few guitars, old vintage peavey amp, and a small cheap PA system.

It has 1/4" out so you could plug it into a PA or pretty much anything really. If you wanted to use a cab from like a half stack or something though you'd definitely need a power source.

Searching around the internets, seems like the gigging crowd tends to like these power amps - GT1000FX-2U. I think if I wind up wanting to take it out and jam at a friends or something, I'd probably just use the line in on my little line6 amp. I see a lot of people saying that sounds fine.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I had a VHT 2/90/2 that i really liked

Noodleballer with the fancy rig. I almost wonder if a tube amp would be a waste on something like a kemper though. Seems to me you'd want the least amount of sound coloring possible so you can let it do it's thing.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just got this fucker...

HTB1v4FrfMKTBuNkSne1q6yJoXXa2.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodleballer with the fancy rig. I almost wonder if a tube amp would be a waste on something like a kemper though. Seems to me you'd want the least amount of sound coloring possible so you can let it do it's thing.
Maybe, that stuff is all new to me so I have no idea.

The vht coincidentally broke when I received it so it always left a slight sour taste in my mouth (caps went).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Was wondering if something like this would work. Instead of going with something like the modeling amp, amp and speaker cabinet, maybe I could go with a laptop, amp modeling software, focuserite scarlett, and a $300 PA cabinet speaker, you know those new ones that DJs sling around with them? Can get a good 12" 400-500W one for like $300-$400. And from what im hearing the amp modeling software on PC is pretty fucking good these days, shit like bias fx which they have versions that cost as little as a fucking PC game.

Shits gotten crazy in the last 10 or so years. I remember us fucking around with a $1000 8track back in the 90s trying to record our shit while playing (and it sounded like shit because of bad mikes and all analog). Now you can get some relatively cheap gears thats near studio quality all digital. Shit that scarlett comes with stripped down 16 channel studio mixing/arrainging software, lol. I was even looking into whats available for the drums, and its stupid cheap these days. $200 for a set of decent 7 mike set, and another $300 for a tascam 8 channel I/O device to get it into your computer. Sure it wont be studio quality mike setup, but 1000% better than what we had back in the day. I dont even know why anyone would fuck around with old cabinet like amps anymore. I know this is probably not new to any of you dudes, but it sure is for me. Shit ive been out of the loop on all this shit since most of the dudes I play with are all still old school, not the computer types if you know what I mean. I think both the guitar dudes would be amazed if I showed them any of this shit.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So anyone here do any of this digital music shit on the PC?

My thought, I was going to take my old i5 2500K box I have lying around in the basement 1/2 scrapped and make a digital amp/studio out of it using focuserite for a interface for now. Maybe get a tascam+mikes later for drums.

Anyway would that 2500K be enough processor for that kind of shit? All that I think the box is missing is HDs and video card, but I have several older ones I can plug in there. also probably memorey since its only got 4 gigs. Would be kind of fun experiment to fuck with my kids which have kind of taken interest in the whole music thing as of late. Was thinking of just getting a cheap PA type powered cabinet for the output with the guitar and bass.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Processing speed and RAM are most important. You need to be able to process what you're recording while listening to the base tracks. It doesn't take much power, but it is important. Especially if you're using more high-powered tool. 2500k might not cut it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So maybe a new mo bo and one of those new i7 6 cores would do the trick then. Damn thats like a grand right there, lol. Maybe ill set up the i5 first and see how it runs, if it sucks, then maybe it will be time to upgrade.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So maybe a new mo bo and one of those new i7 6 cores would do the trick then. Damn thats like a grand right there, lol. Maybe ill set up the i5 first and see how it runs, if it sucks, then maybe it will be time to upgrade.
Take a look at the ryzen CPUs, typically outperform their intel counterparts in multicore operations for less $

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have any experience with the Avid Eleven Rack? I like to goof around with my guitar (completely suck) but thinking of picking one up. Sweetwater has them for $350 so seems like a good deal