The Official Guitar Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I do my own setups and I only measure the mid height. if you have problems on the first fret with height then I'd guess your nut needs to be filed or something

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I only do the mid height as well. Place a capo on the first fret and hold down the highest fret.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So every deal has fallen through, except this one. What do you guys think of the inlays? I'm struggling with them. This is munky from Korn's signature guitar, the Apex 1. They're pretty high quality despite the artist.

It's not a k7 which is one of Ibanez best 7 strings but close.

I can t decide if I hate the inlays though.
received_10160402514800088.jpeg

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
if the stars weren't a dealbreaker, the 69 most definitely is

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
definitely not a fan. could make do with the stars but the sign, bleh.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They need to stop selling guitars of questionable qa for $2500-4500

Thats the problem, at prices like that who would even want to play those things instead of hanging them up on a wall as decoration. Those are no longer being made for musicians but doctors and lawyers. You CAN get quality shit, with custom workmanship and setup, but the signature and custom shit that costs $10-15K. With that amount of money, shit even $5K, I would rather go to a small boutique luthier and have one custom done how I like it out of woods that I want, instead of factory made.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just made a custom order for a Chinese gibson les paul like 2 weeks ago. Custom in that I chose the wood and finish also the hardware was upgraded. well see how that comes out. One piece mahogany back with book matched quilted maple top, one piece mahogany neck with ebony fret board. All total $250. Now I know the setup will be non existant and the electronics will be shit. But for another $200-$250 of electronics including pickups and real bone nut that I can swap myself it should be a good playing guitar for me to fuck with. It will take them a month to make it.

Supposedly these chibsons have been getting very good these days. I mean, its never going to be a $5K gibson, but like I said if I had a $5K gibson I would not even want to play it.

chibson.PNG

I will be back to post some pictures of it once I get it in.

At the same time I got a strat as well. That was no custom, just off the shelf strat with case for $200. Also all mahogany body and rock maple neck. Same shit I will probably have to swap the shit pickups. I guess they sell entire front pickguards already pre-wired for strats, From $20-$300 so this should be even easier to swap.

fender.PNG

Will report back if really shit or worthwhile.

All in all it was $500 for both for me and my kids to fuck around with. Either way they should be playable for some basement jamming.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sorry I mean I have a real LP custom from 1976 and there's no way in hell I'd drop $4000 on one

Oh yeah I know. I have a buddy with a real one too, his dad gave it to him for his Bday when he was like 17 or some shit. its also a 70s model. I think his dad spent like $1800 used for it. Nice, but not worth no damn $4K.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So every deal has fallen through, except this one. What do you guys think of the inlays? I'm struggling with them. This is munky from Korn's signature guitar, the Apex 1. They're pretty high quality despite the artist.

It's not a k7 which is one of Ibanez best 7 strings but close.

I can t decide if I hate the inlays though. View attachment 165590

HARD pass

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Maybe I'm pressing down too hard then? What I mean is when you take your finger off the string it plays the open note once.
Sounds like you may not be lifting your finger straight up off the string and pulling the string up or down before releasing it which does a kind of pull-off effect. Practice fretting and releasing one string without getting the extra sound.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Seen a lot of talk about Gibson this week obviously. Guess they are holding it really tight to the vest on what their plan is concerning their debt and going forward. Other than possibly dump some of the things they've aquired.