The Official Guitar Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would say that death metal solos are only easy to learn if you have a strong theory background, unless you want to just keep slamming out notes hoping you hit the right note. For instance when I'm learning these songs I have an idea what scale(s) they're soloing in, so I know the logical progression their runs are making. If I didn't I'd just be fumbling around.

The big difference is a lot of rock/classic rock has a lot more feel in the solos, and there's more room to add flavor. With metal a lot of the solos are very mechanical, especially death metal. However, some guys really take soloing to a new level. Guys like Jeff Loomis, or someone like Marty Friedman blows my mind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Rock solos (good ones) are a lot about building tension until you land on the 1, 4, or 5. Depending on the chord progression, you can also work some dope 3 resolves in there. It's almost a go-to crutch for me if I can land on 3s outside the bounds of the root scale the progression is in. Because it sounds awesome.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I tend to toss a lot of 'blue notes' in my solos to add something different. But I'm not a very good writer

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Some death metal is just way too technical for me. Sweep picking is a skill I don't have. One of my favorite solos (that's also in my skillset) is reign ov shemsu hor by Behemoth.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Some death metal is just way too technical for me. Sweep picking is a skill I don't have. One of my favorite solos (that's also in my skillset) is reign ov shemsu hor by Behemoth.
It was one of those skills that mystified me until one day it clicked and then it was just 'oh, i get it now'

Sort of like the first time I learned to ride a bike or something.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Second song of our set last night my rig went extreme microphonic. Really weird. Turned off all my pedals and still had a little bit of it going on. Pissed me off. Not even sure if it's tubes, pickups, or what. You can hear the point in this song when it happens. So distracting I fucked up a six note solo

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
oh shiiit you got Vince Masuka on bass. Sounds good bro, wish I lived close enough to drive, would totally attend this every year.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I don't play, but my oldest son has started learning to play and currently has a cheap 3/4 size guitar and wants a new guitar for xmas. What do ya'll think would be a good step up? He is still a beginner, but I'd like to get him something good.

I was thinking maybe a used stratocaster, but no idea which line/year etc. were better. . Would like to keep the price under 400.

Suggestions? I was browsing reverb.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I don't play, but my oldest son has started learning to play and currently has a cheap 3/4 size guitar and wants a new guitar for xmas. What do ya'll think would be a good step up? He is still a beginner, but I'd like to get him something good.

I was thinking maybe a used stratocaster, but no idea which line/year etc. were better. . Would like to keep the price under 400.

Suggestions? I was browsing reverb.

if you're thinking acoustic at all, by far the best acoustic in the <$500 range is the Little Martin. it's also 3/4 size, but i like it even tho i'm 6'0" with big hands.... just lets me do some otherwise crazy chord shapes.

Martin-LXM-Little-Martin.jpg

i got the black one as a gift. would have gotten that bottom finish if i picked it out myself, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. :)

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I personally think the best bang for the buck in the <400 range (for electric anyway) are ibanez guitars.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to have a Schecter Tempest. Bought it for $350 or something used. Wish I never sold it. Really dug that guitar.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
UMM...he is teaching himself rock songs atm. don't ask me what songs though.

i'll be also getting him a better practice amp setup.

was thinking the fender champion or orange crush12 (something in the 100 range) or i might splurge on say a orange micro terror (or dark terror)and speaker cabinet combo for 250-290.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Thinking of picking up Bias FX, anyone use it? Picked up a Universal Audio Apollo for toying around with recording, thinking it might be a nice addition to go with it.

EDIT should mention I don't have a decent amp or anything. Eventually i'll have my mesa boogie mk IV back but not an option currently

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
UMM...he is teaching himself rock songs atm. don't ask me what songs though.

i'll be also getting him a better practice amp setup.

was thinking the fender champion or orange crush12 (something in the 100 range) or i might splurge on say a orange micro terror (or dark terror)and speaker cabinet combo for 250-290.
For a beginner I'd go $100 tops. If he sticks with it go higher

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
go for a used line6 spider 3. Should easily be able to get it for $100 and it will give him lots of sounds to experiment with.