The Official Guitar Thread

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if I am going to get shit on for asking this...

Does anyone in this thread have experience with learning guitar via Rocksmith?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if I am going to get shit on for asking this...

Does anyone in this thread have experience with learning guitar via Rocksmith?

Yeah, it sucks. Don't.

Jamplay or Songsterr are far better.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
said screw it and got him a spider V 20 on amazon-after my "cash back bonus" from discover, it was less than the spider 3's on reverb.

thanks for the advice :)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Never did get my last years Black Friday super deal on a little Tube Amp. If anyone sees something pop up tag me, please and thank you.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Went to guitar ctr to choose what style/make/model he liked/felt "right" in his price range. Came down to an Ibanez rg6003fm in blue and a Jackson js34q-dinky dka-m in transparent red(both 350new). He liked the Jackson a bit more than the Ibanez so I said screw it and we took it home he has been playing/learning a song almost nonstop

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson/JS34Q-Dinky-DKA-M.gc

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't have much experience with Jackson's. I'm actually a schecter guy myself, but if he likes it that's the most important thing. Id recommend getting a nice little set of tools for maintaining the Floyd rose. They can be finicky but once you learn how to maintain them they are awesome.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely want to learn how the floyd rose works. They can be incredible frustrating to new users.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Worst case scenario if he hates the Floyd rose have guitar center (or yourself) block the trem until he's comfortable. That's a hard feature for even some people that have played for years

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah it can be a real pain, even if you manage to pull off changing the strings and get the height just right you still have to tune it and get it locked with your fine tuners at the center position. I consider myself relatively seasoned and it still can take me close to an hour sometimes to replace strings and tune a Floyd.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I know, looked a bit technically challenging, but, since he is where he is at, I expect it to be about a year until I need to fiddle with changing strings, he is learning at a decent clip but has a long way to go before playing like a proficient player.

I know famous last words.. but it did not look that hard to do . Hardest thing for me will be getting the string in tune.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've never played a Floyd Rose but from seeing the amount of people who complain about them on forums, guitar stores, pawn shops and such had to come from somewhere. I guess that's the advantage of being an old fuddy duddy with a telecaster.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Don't get me wrong, they are worth the extra effort. Not having to tune your guitar until you change string again is great. I just remember being in my first band and upgrading from my strat to an ibanez RG270. I loved that Ibanez until I tried to change the strings. I made all of the classic mistakes... taking off all the strings, not wedging the tremolo so it collapsed, not tuning with my fine tuners in the center, wedging it too high, too low... Yeah once my band started playing every weekend I said fuck it and sidelined the Ibanez for a Schecter since I was rythm anyway.

Several years later I decided to sit down and learn it properly and have been converted ever since.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know, looked a bit technically challenging, but, since he is where he is at, I expect it to be about a year until I need to fiddle with changing strings, he is learning at a decent clip but has a long way to go before playing like a proficient player.

I know famous last words.. but it did not look that hard to do . Hardest thing for me will be getting the string in tune.
It's not hard.. technically. It's just taking a string off, clamping it, and tuning it. The problem is you have to be very specific how you do it.

Replace one string at a time, tune it up, stretch it, get it worked in then move.to the next. Tune each string a million times because a floating trem is a very delicate balance between string and spring tension. Make sure you use the same gauge of strings or you'll need to learn how to adjust the claw.

People hate them because they're bitches, but it'd be real hard for a new guy to change strings on one. I'd find a good online video and follow.it and hope for the best

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
exactly...

watched some videos-from a guy stringing the guitar (2 different videos- one had him going 1 then next then next, the other did strings from outside in.. left right left right left right,

also i grabbed one of those "the key" intonation thingys watched a few videos on that.

Now if i can get him to clean his room it'll be all set (boy is a slob) he HAS to learn to keep his room clean...he is gonna be living in a College Dorm next fall.

he loves the new guitar and amp though..which is good, hopefully he stays with it (honestly right now he is better at keyboard/piano-cuz he actually had lessons@school for a semester)

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
hopefully his first dorm experience is good, mine ended up not happening at all. Walked into the room to see playgirl centerfolds fucking everywhere on the walls. Walked right the fuck out. Ended up lucking my way into an apartment w/ a few other people.