The Official Guitar Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Any luck with Sweetwater buying guitars? I've bought other stuff from there just wondering how buy a guitar works out and shipping and such. I've only bought a guitar in person before.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Bought both of my basses online. One through a different big name retailer (can't remember which as it was over 15 years ago), and my musicman through ebay. Both were fine, just got them set up after receiving them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sweetwater is a great company to deal with and do a great job shipping. Either in a case or very well protected

Borzak

Thanks. Bought my guitar at a guitar shop and my other one I had given to me. The few times I've been into a guitar center (maybe 3 times) I've seen a guitar dropped each time. Kind of killed off me wanting to buy one there. Good to know, got a gift card for sweetwater was just kinda leery on ordering a guitar. Have bought other things from them no problem. The few things I have ever ordered from musicians friend (stuff not a guitar) it has taken at least 3 weeks each time. I don't know why. Address is always the same it comes via the post office the last bit and the tracking always shows it coming to town then going back to them and coming a different way around the US to get here.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've never bought a guitar at guitar center but you can ask them to play a new one out of the box. If they want the sale, they'll do it

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've bought a couple guitars online now, one custom and one from a place called mojo music. Both came packed really well, in a case in a box. No issues at all so imagine sweetwater would be as good or better.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I bought a guitar from a shop in Nashville and had them ship it to me. I would say they went overboard with the packing. It was pretty ridiculous. I also bought a Carvin and they shipped that to me. No issues there either. Companies that are used to this stuff know what they're doing.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, Sweetwater goes a little too above and beyond for my liking. They have amazing customer service, I doubt you will have any issues or regrets dealing with them.

They will also call and check up on you periodically (which is where my issue with them lies), and let you know about new deals, ask how shits going with your purchase, etc.

I totally get the hesitation about buying shit online, but Sweetwater is a name that gives me none. I'd buy from them again if I was in the market. They are a top notch company.

Borzak

Going to "the big city" lol next week for an appointment I'm going to go to GC and at least play a few of the ones I'm interested in. It feels like going to Best Buy to look at stuff before you order it from Amazon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Going to "the big city" lol next week for an appointment I'm going to go to GC and at least play a few of the ones I'm interested in. It feels like going to Best Buy to look at stuff before you order it from Amazon.
That's how we do it lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So we've got around 89 pages mostly of us just posting gear. I wonder how helpful it'd be if we started posting exercises for everyone to learn. Or just licks in general.

Not sure if it's possible to embed guitar tabs @a_skeleton_03

We could also just trade guitarpro files.

It would be either licks you find fun to play, or something you think will get you into other styles. The reason I thought of this was.actually listening to marty Friedman play. He has a strong knack for making extremely complex melodies while he plays and plays notes you don't think he will. Got me thinking of breaking myself out of my style that I pigeonhole myself into. Might be a dumb idea

Could also consider a mini contest where we have a collection of licks and do a 1,2 or 3 month progress video. What you sound like day 1 vs day 90

Borzak

Went to GC this afternoon. Didn't help much. They need to move to another part of town.

Borzak

Anyone fill me in on the quality of ephiphone guitars? I'm wanting something different than my telecasters, but not really a Les Paul. They had an epiphone hollowbody I "kind" of liked it had the ability to split the humbuckers giving a single coil sound to it in either posistion. Either the neck or bridge or both etc...Like the sound, kind of fit my rockabilly and country play. Don't know much about epiphones however, quality wise.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I've heard good things about the 335-type Epiphones, they're supposedly 95% Gibson quality for 15% of the price. I'm considering a hollow body for next guitar, but I'm leaning towards the Gretsch 5422 rather than the Epiphone.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've never come across an epiphone I like. but that's probably just me. If I wanted a low price hollow body, I'd go Ibanez artcore.

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
I'm going to order a chibson from chin a soon. People are saying they are not able to tell the difference some times, and they have been getting better and better reviews. I know it will never ever be a gibson, but an epiphone quality guitar that looks like a custom one for 200$ instead of the custom price of 7k$ +, yes please. And before you ask/say. Fuck yes i would download a car. (I already own a real gibby) Looks damn sexy for 200 $ (yes this is a fender, capt obv)

HTB1Nb9hb6rguuRjy0Feq6xcbFXaY.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user